Browsing: Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix Recipes

Many of us grew up eating and cooking with Spatini or other spaghetti sauce seasoning mixes. This page contains spaghetti sauce seasoning mix recipes.

Spaghetti on a Fork
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 5, 2011 Flag

When I make spaghetti, I use a mix of spices that I add to my sauce, such as garlic powder, oregano, basil, crushed chilies, and sugar. I poured about one tablespoon full of each into a baggie and zip-locked it closed. Then I bought a small Christmas tin at the dollar store and put the baggie inside.

For cooking instructions, I cut out a section of old Christmas card and wrote the spaghetti preparation on one side. After punching one hole in the recipe card, I tied it with Christmas ribbon around the can to give as a gift.

Source: I found this idea in the Gooseberry Patch Christmas Book from the library.

By Patricia from Maple Falls, WA

Bag of spaghetti sauce spices in baggie with Christmas tin and tag.

February 29, 2008 Flag

Ingredients

• 1 beef bouillon cube (crushed with kitchen mallet) or 1 tsp of bouillon
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons 10x sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • pinch of ground black pepper (apparently this is the amount that's in one packet)

Directions

I made it several times and it does the trick. The first time it was a bit too tangy but I only added 1/2 tsp. of powdered sugar and not the full 1 and 1/2 tsp. called for.

After that it was just like old times. Well worth the search. Consumers need to band together and stop buying from these corporate weasels when they pull stunts like this and downsizing products with jacked up prices. I promise you it is worth the cost of ingredients and measuring them each time to make the sauce. I mix it in a small dish with a fork then add it like usual. In fact I am going to make some right now.

By Jala

October 8, 2008 Flag

As a Spatini user for over 30 years, I too was devastated by Spatini's demise. This week, at Weis Markets, I discovered that Lawry's is now marketing a "Spaghetti Sauce" mix in individual packets. Is it possible that this is Spatini repackaged and sold singly?

EIW from Lancaster, PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never tried Spatini or this recipe, but I did copy it from Top Secret Recipes when it was made free.

1 beef bouillon cube, crushed

1 1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon ground oregano

1/4 teaspoon ground thyme

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

pinch ground black pepper

Crush the bouillon cube to powder. Mix with remaining ingredients in a small bowl. To make spaghetti sauce, follow the original box instructions of Spatini:

1. In a medium saucepan, combine seasoning mix, 1 tablespoon oil (optional), desired tomatoes and amount of water on this chart.

2. Bring to boil, then simmer, stirring frequently, as directed below.

3. Makes about 1 pint sauce

Listed are the amounts of

Tomatoes, Water, and the Simmer time

1 can 6oz. 1 1/2 cups 5 min.

tomato paste

1 can (15 oz.) 3/4 cup 5 min.

tomato puree

2 cups (16 oz.) 1/2 cup 15 min.

crushed tomatoes

For a spicier tomato sauce:

1 15 oz.

tomato sauce 1/2 cup 15 min.

For a chunky homestyle:

1 can 14.5 oz.

whole tomatoes

cut-up and undrained 1/3 cup 15. min.

1 1/4 pounds

fresh ripe tomatoes,

pureed omit water 40. min.

OMG - I was heartbroken when they quit making Spatini! My whole family tried to find it everywhere for me. Thank you for this recipe, I'm going to go home and try to make it this weekend and see how it tastes. I will let you know on Monday.

This is spatini.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40& ... patini&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Susan in Omaha

April 4, 2012 Flag
This is a dry mix that you put in an airtight container and store in a cool dry place. It might be a nice gift too, if you know someone who enjoys making spaghetti sauce from scratch.

• 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup dried minced onion
  • 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
  • 3 Tbsp. of dried vegetable or sweet pepper flakes
  • 2 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 4 tsp. sugar
  • 2 tsp. dried minced garlic
Additional Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste

Directions:

Combine first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place for up to a year. Yield: 4 batches, 1 cup total.

To Prepare Spaghetti Sauce: In a skillet, brown beef; drain. Stir in 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce mix, water and tomato paste. Bring to boil, boil and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Yield: About 3 cups sauce per batch.

If you are giving this as a gift, attach a card with the preparation instructions. :)

Servings: 3 cups spaghetti sauce per batch
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 34 Minutes

Source: Taste of Home August 1998 (However, I use more garlic than this recipe calls for because I like garlic.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

March 5, 2008 Flag

How is the Spatini protest going?

clucas68 from Rockland, Mass

Editor's Note: Unilever does not seem interested in bringing back Spatini, despite it's popularity. For those of you who don't know about Spatini, here is a link to feedback about it and our online petition.

Sorry, I have no idea what spatini is.

What is spatini anyway? Never heard of it.

February 12, 2008 Flag

I was not a user of Spatini and in fact had no idea it even existed until I started seeing people post here to bring it back. In my search to find out more about it, I came across this recipe for it.

Ingredients

Directions

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and store in small airtight jar in a cool, dry place.

I have no idea if this is even close to anything - since I have no basis for comparison - but I thought I would pass it along.

Source: http://www.topix.com

By Regina from Rochester, NY

Yesterday while shopping at an Acme supermarket, I noticed a packaged dinner by Kraft which was a spaghetti dinner & contained a packet of dry seasoning. I didn't buy it because my husband is on a sodium restricted diet, but I have to wonder if the seasoning packet is anything like the old spatini. Has anyone tried this product?

March 29, 2007 Flag

We now have an online petition for those of you who want Lawry's to bring back Spatini Spaghetti Sauce Mix.

Click Here to sign the petition

January 28, 2013 Flag

This is a dry mix for spaghetti sauce that will keep up to a year and it makes a cup in total. Each batch uses 1/4 cup of this mix.

September 4, 2004 Flag

This recipe makes the equivalent of 8 packets of a similar mix that you can purchase at the store. Great for flavoring Spaghetti Sauce with Meat and for making Sloppy Joes.

December 1, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe for making spaghetti sauce mix, i.e. Spatini? Thanks.

Bonnie

Editor's Note: We have had so many people commiserating about Spatini and not being able to get through to the Lowry's complaint line.

ThriftyFun has set up an online petition. Please take a minute to sign it if you haven't already!

Click Here to sign the petition

Answers:

Boycott Lawry's

It's so sad that Lawry's has such little regard for us since they have discontinued a spice that has been a part of my entire family for over 45 yrs. At our family reunion this weekend, we have decided to boycott Lawry. This new packaged spice is an insult to Spatini. Goodbye Lawry. We are going to pass the word on. (09/27/2007)

By RAVEN

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

Please bring Spatini back to the super markets. As you can see, there is more then enough people who want it back badly and that's not mentioning the thousands of other people, who for some reason or an other, can't post and complain. It was an excellent product! (09/30/2007)

By Terri

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

I spoke to a rep from Lawry's on October 22, 2007. The rep informed me of two reasons why Spatini was discontinued. One possible reason was poor sales ( I doubt this was the problem.) The second possible reason was the cost of the ingredients to make the spice mix was too high to continue marketing. I feel this was the reason it was taken off the market. I also inquired whether the recipe was for sale, this would be an excellent opportunity for spice giant McCormick's to purchase and remarket Spatini, I was told that the recipe was not for sale. I was also told that there are no current plans to bring the spice mix back too the market. (10/22/2007)

By Victor Shiflett

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

I think it was a rotten thing to do. I want Spatini back! I did call the company and they said they were replacing it with Lawry's spaghetti sauce. I have not gotten to the store to look for it and to buy it. If they wanted to put the price up I know people still would of bought the product. (11/05/2007)

By Sally Vercusky

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

Don't buy the Lawry's spaghetti sauce mix in the packet it is no way near the taste. I bought one packet and you know what, the rest can rot and go to waste. I feel all Lawry's products can just stay on the shelf. I will not buy any Lawry's products until they bring back Spatini!

Editor's Note: Lawry's parent company is Unilever which has tons of products. Maybe a boycott would get their attention. http://www.unilever.com/ (11/15/2007)

By Sally

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

For those adventurous cooking souls out there that asked for a scanned image of the Spatini package so they could try and replicate the recipe, I've attached an image showing the back of box with nutritional facts and side of box with ingredients, info from the front of the box is "3 envelopes, each makes 1 pint" net wt of the box is 2.4 OZ (68g)

Hope this helps. and good luck! I look forward to hearing from someone that is successful. (01/05/2008)

By Tracey

RE: Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

Try this for a quick and easy faux spatini mix. Take one package of Good Seasons Italian salad dressing and recipe mix, (this will already have your onion and garlic powder in it. Add 1 tsp. of light brown sugar and than add a pinch of crushed red pepper. Make sure it's not old. I think that's the zing in spatini. You can put this through a blender. Use fresh onions and fresh minced garlic in your sauce or meat loaf recipes instead of adding extras to the powder. Keep it simple. No need to store. If you have a smidgen of spatini left over put them side by side and taste. Thank you to everyone who had an idea and shared. The company's apparent disconcern should not be a factor in our collective efforts to crack the spatini code. Today is the day to make the kettle sing.
(01/30/2008)

By Debbie T

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

I sent an e-mail to Lawry's and they responded. This is their response.

"The product you have contacted us about has been discontinued. We are sorry that we do not have any remaining stock.

Our company's goal is to provide consumers with a variety of products to meet their needs and preferences. As you know, marketing is a complex function, and many business factors are taken into consideration before discontinuing a product. Before a product becomes available at the retail level, much time and expense is involved in perfecting the formulation, consumers focus testing, and marketing support. It truly saddens us when we must discontinue a product. However, consumer demand is a major factor. When the level of demand is insufficient to ensure that consumers receive high quality products at an affordable price, the product may be discontinued.

We apologize that this product is no longer available and hope you will continue to enjoy our products." This is their response. (04/02/2008)

By Shirley

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

I have heard of a Food Distributor in Mechanicsburg, PA that is still selling this product. I think that is why you still see it showing up on eBay. For more information try http://www.spatini.info/ (07/10/2008)

By Spatini Lover

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

I have the solution! Finally! After all the waiting.

The substitute is made by Penzeys Spices and is called Tuscan Sunset. The secret is out, tell everyone!

You can order on www.penzeys.com (09/06/2008)

By Henry

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

Good news everyone. I just found a place online that sells the large 15oz packages of spatini. The shipping is a little high for just one so buy a bunch, the website is www.spiceplace.com its ONLY $ 6.39 for one 15 oz pouch my husband is going to be so happy. (12/12/2008)

By Gin

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

Mcormicks makes spatini now only in 15 oz packages, though. (02/16/2009)

By jam

Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

Salt, sugar, dehydrated onion, potato starch, spices, maltodextrin, garlic powder, beet powder (color), dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, partially hydrolyzed cottonseed and soybean oils, guar gum, carrot powder, modified corn starch. (09/13/2010)

By njspatini

Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes SaucesApril 7, 2012
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Spaghetti Sauce in Terracota Pot
Spaghetti Sauce Tips and Tricks
plate of spaghetti with tomato sauce
Information about Spatini Spaghetti Sauce Mix
Sloppy Joe
Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 29, 2016 at 1:14:53 PM on 10.0.1.185 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.