Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix Recipes

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Spaghetti on a Fork

Many of us grew up eating and cooking with Spatini or other spaghetti sauce seasoning mixes. This page contains spaghetti sauce seasoning mix recipes.

Solutions: Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Spaghetti Sauce Spice Mix As Frugal Gift

When I make spaghetti, I use a mix of spices that I add to my sauce, such as garlic powder, oregano, basil, crushed chilies, and sugar. I poured about one tablespoon full of each into a baggie and zip-locked it closed. Then I bought a small Christmas tin at the dollar store and put the baggie inside.

For cooking instructions, I cut out a section of old Christmas card and wrote the spaghetti preparation on one side. After punching one hole in the recipe card, I tied it with Christmas ribbon around the can to give as a gift.

Source: I found this idea in the Gooseberry Patch Christmas Book from the library.

By Patricia from Maple Falls, WA

Bag of spaghetti sauce spices in baggie with Christmas tin and tag.

Recipe: Spaghetti Sauce Mix

This is a dry mix that you put in an airtight container and store in a cool dry place. It might be a nice gift too, if you know someone who enjoys making spaghetti sauce from scratch.

• 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup dried minced onion
  • 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
  • 3 Tbsp. of dried vegetable or sweet pepper flakes
  • 2 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 4 tsp. sugar
  • 2 tsp. dried minced garlic
Additional Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste

Directions:

Combine first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place for up to a year. Yield: 4 batches, 1 cup total.

To Prepare Spaghetti Sauce: In a skillet, brown beef; drain. Stir in 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce mix, water and tomato paste. Bring to boil, boil and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Yield: About 3 cups sauce per batch.

If you are giving this as a gift, attach a card with the preparation instructions. :)

Servings: 3 cups spaghetti sauce per batch
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 34 Minutes

Source: Taste of Home August 1998 (However, I use more garlic than this recipe calls for because I like garlic.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

Recipe: Spaghetti Sauce Using Homemade Dry Mix

This is a dry mix for spaghetti sauce that will keep up to a year and it makes a cup in total. Each batch uses 1/4 cup of this mix.

When you are ready to make this dish, you brown beef, and drain and then add the water and tomato paste. It boils, simmers, and rocks!

• 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup dried minced onion
  • 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
  • 3 Tbsp sweet pepper flakes
  • 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 4 tsp salt
  • 4 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp dried minced garlic
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 6 ounce can tomato paste

1. Combine first eight ingredients, mix well.
  2. In skillet brown and drain ground beef.
  3. Stir in 1/4 cup spaghetti mix.
  4. Stir in 2 cups of water.
  5. Stir in tomato paste.
  6. Bring to a boil and stir after boiling for 2 minutes.
  7. Reduce heat after the 2 minutes, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  8. Sauce is ready to be put on top of cooked spaghetti.

By

Recipe: Homemade Spatini Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 beef bouillon cube (crushed with kitchen mallet) or 1 tsp of bouillon
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons 10x sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • pinch of ground black pepper (apparently this is the amount that's in one packet)

Directions

I made it several times and it does the trick. The first time it was a bit too tangy but I only added 1/2 tsp. of powdered sugar and not the full 1 and 1/2 tsp. called for.

After that it was just like old times. Well worth the search. Consumers need to band together and stop buying from these corporate weasels when they pull stunts like this and downsizing products with jacked up prices. I promise you it is worth the cost of ingredients and measuring them each time to make the sauce. I mix it in a small dish with a fork then add it like usual. In fact I am going to make some right now.

By Jala

Tip: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

We now have an online petition for those of you who want Lawry's to bring back Spatini Spaghetti Sauce Mix.

Click Here to sign the petition

Recipe: Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix and Recipes

This recipe makes the equivalent of 8 packets of a similar mix that you can purchase at the store. Great for flavoring Spaghetti Sauce with Meat and for making Sloppy Joes.

Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix

• 1/2 cup instant minced onion
  • 1/2 cup parsley flakes
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 3 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix together all ingredients. Store in a jar and cover tightly. Makes enough for 8 uses.

Recipes Using this Mix

Spaghetti Sauce with Meat

• 1 pound lean hamburger
  • 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
  • 2 cups water (You can substitue 1 cup of water with 1 cup of stewed tomotoes if desired)
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix
  • Spaghetti

Directions:

Brown 1 pound lean hamburger and drain fat. Stir together 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste, 2 cups water and the Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix. Add sauce to hamburger. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.

Sloppy Joes

• 1 pound lean hamburger
  • 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
  • 1-1/4 cups water

Directions:

Brown 1 pound lean hamburger and drain fat. Stir together 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, 1-1/4 cups water and the Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix. Add sauce to meat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns. Makes 6 servings.

These recipes are adapted from a PDF put together by Nellie Hedstrom, Extension nutrition specialist A Member of the University of Maine System.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix Recipes.

Question: Could This Be Spatini?

As a Spatini user for over 30 years, I too was devastated by Spatini's demise. This week, at Weis Markets, I discovered that Lawry's is now marketing a "Spaghetti Sauce" mix in individual packets. Is it possible that this is Spatini repackaged and sold singly?

EIW from Lancaster, PA

Most Recent Answer

By Susan M. [7]10/22/2008

This is spatini.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40& ... patini&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Susan in Omaha

Question: Italian Seasoning To Replace Spatini

I was not a user of Spatini and in fact had no idea it even existed until I started seeing people post here to bring it back. In my search to find out more about it, I came across this recipe for it.

Ingredients

• 2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 2 tsp. seasoned salt

Directions

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and store in small airtight jar in a cool, dry place.

I have no idea if this is even close to anything - since I have no basis for comparison - but I thought I would pass it along.

Source: http://www.topix.com

By Regina from Rochester, NY

Most Recent Answer

By Bonnie (Guest Post)08/14/2008

Yesterday while shopping at an Acme supermarket, I noticed a packaged dinner by Kraft which was a spaghetti dinner & contained a packet of dry seasoning. I didn't buy it because my husband is on a sodium restricted diet, but I have to wonder if the seasoning packet is anything like the old spatini. Has anyone tried this product?

Question: Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

Does anyone have a recipe for making spaghetti sauce mix, i.e. Spatini? Thanks.

Bonnie

Editor's Note: We have had so many people commiserating about Spatini and not being able to get through to the Lowry's complaint line.

ThriftyFun has set up an online petition. Please take a minute to sign it if you haven't already!

Click Here to sign the petition

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

Click Here to sign the petition.

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

While I do not have any Spatini to offer. My restaurant has developed a homestyle sauce mix and started to market from a web store on ebay. We have had excellent feedback and numerous re-orders. I will offer a free sample to any of you who request it via the "ask a question" link on ebay. What do you have to lose? Check it out at http://stores.ebay.com/sanos-sauce-and-spice?refid=store Thanks. Bruce (01/01/2008)

By Bruce E.

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

Please, please, please bring Spatini Sauce Mix back! It's been my "secret" ingredient for 30 years. Help, don't let us all down. (01/27/2008)

By Joanne M.

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

I am absolutely crushed that I can't buy Spatini anymore. If it is not feasible for your company to begin making it again for nationwide distribution, why not at least make it so that we could maybe get it via mail order through your company. We Spatini users are really desperate. Nothing can take its place. (02/12/2008)

By Kathy M.

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

My mom makes a special Spaghetti sauce and now without Spatini we have no great spaghetti sauce. I'm crushed. Please bring back Spatini. She's made it for at least 35 years. (02/23/2008)

By Eileen

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

I can not believe that this was taken off the market. This too is my special little something to add. I tried Lawry's Spaghetti Sauce does not compare and is not that good. Please bring back the real thing. Why not it looks like you have a lot of consumers who want it. Please. (03/03/2008)

By SUE

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

Spatini is the only sauce we use. We are desperate to get it back on the shelves. (03/13/2008)

By Amy M.

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

My grandmother introduced my mother to Spatini back in 1940's. My mother has only two packets left. She is guarding it with her life. Please bring it back or we will never have Spagetti again. She hates all other manufactured sauces and refuses to buy them. Lawry's please put it in a jar and stock the shelves again. (03/18/2008)

By Marie and her daughter Colette in PA

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

I came to this site to add my name to the petition to bring Spatini back, but after reading these petitions was amazed to learn how many years this has been on the market and how many people really, really love this spaghetti sauce. I hope Lawry's reconsiders and bring this wonderful product back so we can all enjoy this great spaghetti sauce. (03/31/2008)

By Martha

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

My mom used Spatini all my life. Now that she has gone and so has Spatini, what's left? Please bring it back. (05/20/2008)

By Ernie in Pittsburgh

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

Please bring back Spatini even if you must increase the price. Gasoline has gone up in price and people are still buying it. (05/27/2008)

By Jean H. W.

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

It would have been nice if someone warned me that you were going to pull Spatini, because I would have brought every box in sight. You took a tried and true product from so many households. Please bring back Spatini.(09/10/2008)

By oldschoolgirl

Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

I agree. Spatini was the best Italian spaghetti sauce mix ever made. It contained just the right mix of ingredients to make an excellent sauce. Most of the package sauce mixes and even the jar sauces are too sweet and are missing the ingredients that make a truly excellent sauce like Spatini. (10/13/2008)

By Bill H

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

Please bring this back into the stores. Spatini was used by my grandmother, mother and I've got my family accustomed to the taste of the spaghetti sauce. Why is this a problem? (10/22/2008)

By Rita

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

I would like for you to bring back Spatini in the 2.4 oz. box. I can't tell you how long I have been using it. It was in my mothers recipe and I am now 66 years old. Please, please bring it back. Several of my friends also used it and really miss it in their spaghetti sauce. Thanks (10/29/2008)

By Bernadette M.

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

We are saved. Go to www.topsecretrecipes.com and spend a buck for the best I've tasted. Enjoy. (10/30/2008)

By Bumble

RE: Lawry's Bring Back Spatini Petition

I'd like to add my 2 cents to everyone else. There is something about Spatini that is different and special. I've tried several other substitutes and my spaghetti sauce just doesn't taste the same. Like several others, my mother used it in her famous lasagna recipe and I'd like to continue to do the same. Bring it back! (11/13/2008)

By Robin F.

Archive: Spatini Spaghetti Sauce

Does anyone have a recipe for making spaghetti sauce mix, i.e. Spatini? Thanks. Bonnie