Restoring Color to Formica

How can I restore the color to 17 year old Formica counters?

By Mimi from Cedarville, MI

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By shannon 8 11/04/2009

Not sure exactly you want to do, but Rustoleum has a countertop paint on the market now. No primer or sealer needed, and it's antimicrobial. I'm going to faux paint mine to look like granite, but if you don't want a long process, maybe take a look at what Rustoleum has to offer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Restoring Color to Formica

Does anyone know of a product or procedure to restore formica? I have a red formica table from the 30's that has lost color and is pretty dull. Thanks.

Dee from Mass.

RE: Restoring Color to Formica

It is impossible to restore the color and eliminate scratches from plastic laminate (brand name: Formica). The same properties that make plastic laminate durable also make it impossible to patch or repair.

However, you can clean and polish laminate with a product like Gel-Gloss. This is a white, milky cleaner/polish much like automotive wax. With a little rubbing, Gel-Gloss will remove most stains and discoloration. After it dries to a light powdery residue, buff with a clean cloth. This leaves a nice glossy protective finish that tends to mask scratches so that the plastic laminate looks refinished. It also leaves a smooth, sealed surface that resists water spotting and stains. In the future, when the counter gets dull, just apply more. Never use bleach or abrasive cleaners on plastic laminates. They can damage the surface. (09/14/2004)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Restoring Color to Formica

Thanks for the info. Going out to buy some Gel Gloss and polish up my bathroom counter. (02/06/2007)

By Bob From Florida