Getting Rid of Bats in the Attic

How can I get rid of bats from behind a wall or in the ceiling of my home?

By Anna from PA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

You could hire an exterminator. but if you choose to do it your self you have to find where the bats are entering and leaving your house. Bats come out at dusk. Once you have found their avenue of entrance and exit, the next step is in the evening when the bats have left their roosts is to close off these openings with the appropriate materials. I had a bat in my attic that was getting in through a small gap between the dyer vent and the outer wall. I used some screen material and reattached the vent.

Bats won't roost in noisy places. You could wait until just before dusk--any sooner and the bats could fall prey to larger animals--and make some noise! Then definitely use screening material to close off their 'home'. Also, make sure they don't have any babies in your walls, or the smell with be terrible!

I have heard from a neighbor that if you play loud music in the attic about the time they enter for the night, they wll leave. Please do not kill them as they are very beneficial for eliminating mosquitoes. You might check with your local wildlife rescue for other remedies.

Bat flying over a field.
Getting Rid of Bats
Home and Garden Pest Control BatsOctober 26, 2009
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Making Mini Pumpkin Bats
Making Mini Pumpkin Bats
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 8:27:22 AM on 10.0.1.122 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.