Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard

Moles can make your yard look really messy in a very short period of time. They are notoriously difficult to eliminate from your yard and often require professional assistance. This is a guide about getting rid of moles in your yard.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

April 12, 2016 Flag

Several years ago I had a mole/vole problem in my decorative plant garden and lawn. I use a pine, walnut shell, or other natural cat litter for my cats. These products often have instructions right on the bag to use them once used on inedible plant beds as mulch. So I poured the used litter from my several cat boxes into the mole/vole holes and voila! The little critters disappeared! It's been a long time and they haven't returned, but if they do, I'll surely put the kitty litter in the holes again. Any odor from the used litter disappears, especially after a rain.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2010 Flag

I have been bothered by moles routing through my garden eating my earthworms. I read that the castor bean was poisonous. I grow castor plants, so I put a dozen seeds in a run. The seeds were gone in a few days, and I haven't seen any signs of moles since.

By Jerry W. from Wells, VT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Whirligigs vibrate the ground and moles do not like it. I heard this will work. I plan on buying some to try it.

July 21, 2004 Flag

Moles don't like castor oil. Try this solution and be sure to let us know whether it was successful.

Ingredients

Directions

Pour this solution around the perimeter of you garden or lawn and keep some on hand to pour on mole mounds when they appear. Continue doing this for a month.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Didn't work a all. Tried it on 3 separate occasions, didn't even slow them down. My yard looks like trench warfare from WWI.

From what I have read, moles are difficult to get rid of. There are lots of things that people try with mixed results, such as putting garlic down the holes. The best solution I found was using castor oil.

I heard that instead of trying to get rid of moles, which can be difficult, it is better to get rid of their food source. Here in Florida, they love grubs, so by eliminating the grubs the moles will move to another area.

My neighborhood has an extremely bad mole problem. The only yards that don't have mole holes, are the homes where people let their cats go outdoors.

Put a galvanized hardware cloth in the bottom before adding dirt. This will keep voles/moles from eating your plants. Without it the critters think it's their buffet! Also, putting plants in wire cages helps too! We have so many of these critters.

I live in Illinois and this Summer we hardly had any rain and it's been extemely hot. I have lived in my house for 14 years and this is the very first time that I have ground hogs or ground moles making tunnels in my front yard. They have eaten up my entire Hosta plant. What is the best way to get rid of this pest so it doesn't come back next year?

Best Answer

The main reason for moles is that they are after the grubs(an insect) in your yards. So the easiest way to get rid of them is to go to the garden center and get something to kill grubs and the moles will leave too. It's no too hard really, you could pay a professional to rid your yard of grubs but it is not hard to do your self.

Best Answer

Theres no reason to kill the little fellow, just do what I did and find his hole stick a water hose in it and then fill it up. Surprisingly you will see him come out of the ground from another hole that you weren't aware of and then you can put him in a bucket and take him to the park and release him safely. If your lucky when ever you go for a walk at the park you may see him building a new home and then feel good that he is still alive and happy. Thanks for reading, from Kevin L. in Arlington, Texas.

March 27, 2012 Flag

How do I get rid of moles? They are terrible this year in our area.

By Ginny

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Treating for grubs is very expensive and is only about 50% effective. If possible, encourage owls to your area. Talk to your State's Game & Fish Commission; if you have trees, install an Owl House.

The one nice thing is, once they nest and have chicks, they return every pre-Spring and do their hunting in the evenings. Nice to hear them chatter away because I know they're looking for those nasty little critters to show themselves.:)

I had a bad mole problem a few years ago. After reading that the moles were after grubs in the lawn, I treated the yard for grubs and haven't had moles since. I bought the grub treatment at Home Depot. It's granular and you spread it like you would fertilizer.

I don't remember the name of it. It was a little expensive, but definitely worth it.

October 11, 2010 Flag

Is there an easy way to rid my yard of voles, moles, and gophers? They are destroying my lawn and shrubs.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Dee from Long Island, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Castor Oil and Cayenne pepper work pretty well. The Castor Oil has to be an industrial grade (you can see if you have Murphy's Castor Oil around the house). They don't like the smell of the pepper or oil.

The trouble with moles and voles is they dig, and most products out on the market only hit the surface. If you're only concerned about your garden or other small area, try stirring up the soil a little and put some cayenne pepper and castor oil in there. Ammonia is also a strong smell that will deter them.

I've also heard of using human hair. Never tried it, but some friends told me if you stir it in the soil that will repel them as well. I've even heard someone say they used to put a donut in the holes, and it actually worked! :)

I think my moles just went packing, but not without a lot of destruction. My yard is bumpy & lumpy and very soft. You sink because of the tunnels. I bought some sonic sticks from Amazon. They are the better quality for near $25 each. Just put the required 4-D size batteries and stick them into the ground. Put them in as deep as possible, but still able to retrieve it when needed. Years ago I got rid of a gopher this way.

July 4, 2011 Flag

We have moles and maybe voles in the yard, leaving little mounds of dirt everywhere. When it was just in the lawn it was bad enough, but now something is in the veggie garden. How do we get rid of them?

By Zippy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You may need to put hardware cloth under the planter beds to keep the burrowing critters out. Easier to do when you have raised beds, of course, but you could do it by digging out the regular bed soil, putting down the hardware cloth in a "U" shape, and re-filling the bed. Good luck!

Good luck! Moles are very hard to get rid of...I put a metal cage (fencing) under my veggie garden and the moles just make holes nearby. But I found out that moles only eat "insects" from the roots of the veggies. They do not come above ground or eat vegetables. You could get a gopher snake which eats gophers and I presume moles.

July 24, 2010 Flag

I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Does anyone know how I can keep moles out of my garden?

By June from Cape Town South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Good grief, from Portland, Oregon, to Capetown, those pesky diggers are everywhere. My sis in law tried hair and steel wool down the holes and only minimal success. I would think anything physical that would impede comfortable digging for them, since their skin is sensitive. Maybe she didn't use enough hair.

They do aerate the soil and bring up minerals for plants, but that's no satisfaction when your flowers are imploding.One might put down wire screening of some kind in flower beds about 12 inches down and form it into a box with sides and replant dirt and plants.

Or if one had access to a thorny bush lay branches about 16 inches below plants. It would take some time to decompose, probably good for 2-3 years. Perhaps rose bush clippings.

Anybody know what discourages moles in nature?

Gross you out maybe. Pee on em'. Job for the man of the house. Pee in a bucket, pour it on the hills, they leave for better places like your neighbors.

December 2, 2009 Flag

We are having some serious issues with ground moles and the many tunnels they keep digging in our yard. Our next door neighbor keeps throwing bread out in her yard. Can someone tell me if moles also feast on bread? She will not stop doing this. We also have a problem with ground squirrels and the many holes they too dig. This is getting out of control. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

By Sandy from IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I don't think moles eat bread. They eat insects and are especially fond of grubs. If you can find a biodegradable organic insecticide (I think there are such things) spray the yard. With no food, the moles will leave. If insects are eating the bread then the moles might just move next door.

I agree with Ann - you need to get rid of the grubs. It worked in my yard. I don't remember the name of the insecticide that I used, but it was in granular form.

July 26, 2011 Flag

Would anyone know how to help get rid of moles in my yard? They're turning it into a sponge. I've tried all the commercial products and the spinner things to no avail.

By Crystal F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Getting rid of moles is a problem for a lot of people. I learned if you have moles you have grubs which is a white worm that lives under your grass and you would never know they were there until you see the moles, and they are what the moles feed on.

I found by running a rolling spike across your lawn which puts holes in your lawn, which is called an aerator (you can probably rent one or borrow one from someone who has a farm). This helps with the getting rid of the grubs which you will then have to buy some Grub Ex at your local home improvement store. Spread it over the lawn using a spreader with the holes in the ground.

It makes it easier for the grub ex to get into the ground to do what it was made to do, get rid of the grubs. The primary goal here is to get rid of the grubs first and once you get rid of them you get rid of the moles.

Works, kitty poop retrieved from litter box into hole or tunnel. Another is to have your husband pee in a bucket at night or if you have a shed he can close the door and use a bucket or some container. Pour over dirt mound. They move out. I hear you laughing. You have to admit, it is natural and it doesn't cost a bunch. Have fun with it, start a business if you like.

March 23, 2009 Flag

Do mothballs really get rid of moles?

By Beverly from Kansas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You need to get a lawn fertilizer type product that contains grub giller. Grubs are these gross white worm looking bugs that live in the roots of the grass & attract the moles as the moles eat the grubs. Follow the package directions. It is usually best to do the application before a good rain and this is also a good time of year to do this. Be sure to by enough product to get the job done right the first time! If you don't get the problem under control it can become quite costly. Friends of mine actually had to remove their whole lawn and replant it. Good luck!

Naw, They just go around them or roll them out of the way. You will have better results buying a product designed to rid moles. You can buy these products at a hardware store or a big box store.

May 25, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of moles in my yard?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Debbie from Fremont, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My ex-husband swears by using cotton balls soaked in caster oil. After soaking cotton balls you just drop them in the mole holes or open a tunnel and drop in the moies don't like the oil on there skin and I think the smell also.

December 31, 2010 Flag

How do I raise asparagus in mole heaven?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Bill from LaPlata, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am not sure moles eat asparagus--I suspect your culprit is more likely voles.

http://www.mole  stions/moles.htm

As for the asparagus, plant it as deep as you can, I like 18 inches. I don't think any rodent is going to get at the roots this deep. If you find them damaging the asparagus, you might try a pepper spray. Call your local agricultural extension service, they should have some ideas for mole remedies.

The moles are there for a reason, probably going after grubs along with your vegetables. There are mole traps that you can use, but it would also be wise to get rid of what they are after. Dig up some ground close to your asparagus, see if you find grubs, little fat white worm looking things. There is stuff you can get to kill the grubs. Good luck.

How do you get rid of a mole?

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Moles and GophersAugust 25, 2011
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 28, 2017 at 4:40:53 PM on 10.0.2.242 in 8 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.