Browsing: Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard

Moles can make your yard look really messy in a very short period of time. They are notoriously difficult to eliminate from your yard and often require professional assistance. This is a guide about getting rid of moles in your yard.

Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 12, 2016 Flag

Several years ago I had a mole/vole problem in my decorative plant garden and lawn. I use a pine, walnut shell, or other natural cat litter for my cats. These products often have instructions right on the bag to use them once used on inedible plant beds as mulch. So I poured the used litter from my several cat boxes into the mole/vole holes and voila! The little critters disappeared! It's been a long time and they haven't returned, but if they do, I'll surely put the kitty litter in the holes again. Any odor from the used litter disappears, especially after a rain.

Natural Cat Litter to Get Rid of Moles and Voles Natural Cat Litter to Get Rid of Moles and Voles

August 25, 2005 Flag

I live in Illinois and this Summer we hardly had any rain and it's been extemely hot. I have lived in my house for 14 years and this is the very first time that I have ground hogs or ground moles making tunnels in my front yard. They have eaten up my entire Hosta plant. What is the best way to get rid of this pest so it doesn't come back next year?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Theres no reason to kill the little fellow, just do what I did and find his hole stick a water hose in it and then fill it up. Surprisingly you will see him come out of the ground from another hole that you weren't aware of and then you can put him in a bucket and take him to the park and release him safely. If your lucky when ever you go for a walk at the park you may see him building a new home and then feel good that he is still alive and happy. Thanks for reading, from Kevin L. in Arlington, Texas.

Kinda hard not to know the difference in claws, vision, and coloration...you know like when you differenciate mammals like man or whales or pets.

March 27, 2012 Flag

How do I get rid of moles? They are terrible this year in our area.

By Ginny

Best Answer

Treating for grubs is very expensive and is only about 50% effective. If possible, encourage owls to your area. Talk to your State's Game & Fish Commission; if you have trees, install an Owl House.

The one nice thing is, once they nest and have chicks, they return every pre-Spring and do their hunting in the evenings. Nice to hear them chatter away because I know they're looking for those nasty little critters to show themselves.:)

Yoohoo. Moles don't only eat grubs, they eat earthworms too. I organic garden, so both my garden and yard are full of moles. I have been trying for years to get rid of them. If getting rid of grubs was the way to do it, I'd have been free of these creatures decades ago.

We moved my compost pile a few years ago, only to find a nest of them under it, keeping nice and warm throughout the winter. Seriously, these destructive little pests multiply unbelievably often. I can no longer grow veggies due to them tunneling throughout my garden and through the plant roots. The water drains through their tunnels and my plants die. I've tried everything.

This year I bought eight solar mole chasers, and am in the process of trying them out. I've also got a bag of hair from the beautician to put in the tunnels, and am willing to try ANYTHING else known to man. But please, don't tell me to get rid of grubs in my lawn, or the juicy fruit gum thing, or the mole pellets, or the traps because I've tried them all and right now, am doing them all at the same time.

And yes I have a cat--last summer he killed 8, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. I need new ideas, no matter how controversial. We cannot even walk through our yard without tripping or twisting our ankles due to their tunneling. And no, rolling the yard does no good - the next day, the tunnels are right back. Help!

October 11, 2010 Flag

Is there an easy way to rid my yard of voles, moles, and gophers? They are destroying my lawn and shrubs.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Dee from Long Island, NY

Best Answer

Castor Oil and Cayenne pepper work pretty well. The Castor Oil has to be an industrial grade (you can see if you have Murphy's Castor Oil around the house). They don't like the smell of the pepper or oil.

The trouble with moles and voles is they dig, and most products out on the market only hit the surface. If you're only concerned about your garden or other small area, try stirring up the soil a little and put some cayenne pepper and castor oil in there. Ammonia is also a strong smell that will deter them.

I've also heard of using human hair. Never tried it, but some friends told me if you stir it in the soil that will repel them as well. I've even heard someone say they used to put a donut in the holes, and it actually worked! :)

I insert moth balls right under the area. Kazam-they're gone!

July 4, 2011 Flag

We have moles and maybe voles in the yard, leaving little mounds of dirt everywhere. When it was just in the lawn it was bad enough, but now something is in the veggie garden. How do we get rid of them?

By Zippy

Best Answer

You may need to put hardware cloth under the planter beds to keep the burrowing critters out. Easier to do when you have raised beds, of course, but you could do it by digging out the regular bed soil, putting down the hardware cloth in a "U" shape, and re-filling the bed. Good luck!

If you like cats, then I recommend getting a female they are the best catchers of moles voles and mice not to mention other critters that invade your yard I have 2 cats and 2, 5 month. old kittens one is a male he will wait till his mom or aunt comes with a catch and steal it from them .Just provide her with regular food and water and a place to sleep she will do her job.

April 20, 2010 Flag

I have been bothered by moles routing through my garden eating my earthworms. I read that the castor bean was poisonous. I grow castor plants, so I put a dozen seeds in a run. The seeds were gone in a few days, and I haven't seen any signs of moles since.

By Jerry W. from Wells, VT

July 24, 2010 Flag

I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Does anyone know how I can keep moles out of my garden?

By June from Cape Town South Africa

Best Answer

Good grief, from Portland, Oregon, to Capetown, those pesky diggers are everywhere. My sis in law tried hair and steel wool down the holes and only minimal success. I would think anything physical that would impede comfortable digging for them, since their skin is sensitive. Maybe she didn't use enough hair.

They do aerate the soil and bring up minerals for plants, but that's no satisfaction when your flowers are imploding.One might put down wire screening of some kind in flower beds about 12 inches down and form it into a box with sides and replant dirt and plants.

Or if one had access to a thorny bush lay branches about 16 inches below plants. It would take some time to decompose, probably good for 2-3 years. Perhaps rose bush clippings.

Anybody know what discourages moles in nature?

Do you know if what you have are "golden moles" or "mole rats"? Both can cause damage. Neither is particularly closely related to the true moles of Europe, Asia, and North America.

December 2, 2009 Flag

We are having some serious issues with ground moles and the many tunnels they keep digging in our yard. Our next door neighbor keeps throwing bread out in her yard. Can someone tell me if moles also feast on bread? She will not stop doing this. We also have a problem with ground squirrels and the many holes they too dig. This is getting out of control. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

By Sandy from IL

Best Answer

I don't think moles eat bread. They eat insects and are especially fond of grubs. If you can find a biodegradable organic insecticide (I think there are such things) spray the yard. With no food, the moles will leave. If insects are eating the bread then the moles might just move next door.

Get a cat. They love all those small rodent types.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Moles and GophersAugust 25, 2011
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:28:12 AM on 10.0.1.17 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.