Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard

Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air

Moles can make your yard look really messy in a very short period of time. They are notoriously difficult to eliminate from your yard and often require professional assistance. This is a guide about getting rid of moles in your yard.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard

From what I have read, moles are difficult to get rid of. There are lots of things that people try with mixed results, such as putting garlic down the holes. The best solution I found was using castor oil.

The theory is that worms, which are part of a moles diet, are coated in castor oil which makes them less tasty and the moles will move on to another area. There are castor oil repellants commercially available, but I was able to find a recipe on WA state fish and wildlife page.

• 1/4 cup unrefined castor oil
  • 2 Tbsp dish soap

Directions:

1. Combine and blend in a blender.
  2. After the first mix, add 6 Tbsp water and blend again.
  3. Take this concentrated mixture and add 2 Tbsp to 1 gallon of water, place in a sprayer and spray liberally in areas where the moles are active and areas that you want to be protected.

This works best in areas where the ground will be watered from time to time. The treatment should last 30-60 days and may need to be reapplied before the moles relocate.

Source: http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/moles.html

By StellaBella from Manchester, WA

Tip: Castor Beans for Mole Control

I have been bothered by moles routing through my garden eating my earthworms. I read that the castor bean was poisonous. I grow castor plants, so I put a dozen seeds in a run. The seeds were gone in a few days, and I haven't seen any signs of moles since.

By Jerry W. from Wells, VT

Tip: Mole Deterrent

I heard that instead of trying to get rid of moles, which can be difficult, it is better to get rid of their food source. Here in Florida, they love grubs, so by eliminating the grubs the moles will move to another area.

I just treated my lawn so time will tell, I guess. My dog makes it worse by digging along their trail in an effort to catch them. I hope this treatment is effective.

By

Tip: Outdoor Cats Reduce Moles

My neighborhood has an extremely bad mole problem. The only yards that don't have mole holes are the homes where people let their cats go outdoors. I think it's just the smell of the cats that keeps the moles away, because my cat doesn't hunt them.

When we first moved in we had a mole hill every few feet, but now that we have an indoor-outdoor cat our problem is solved! We didn't notice right away, but after several months the moles got the message and moved on. My neighbor paid $250 to have the little buggers trapped (and they came back) all we did was get a cat that needed a home.

By JLS

Tip: Keeping Moles Out of Raised Beds

Put a galvanized hardware cloth in the bottom before adding dirt. This will keep voles/moles from eating your plants. Without it the critters think it's their buffet! Also, putting plants in wire cages helps too! We have so many of these critters.

By Syd

Tip: Castor Oil Mole Repellant

Moles don't like Castor oil. Try this solution and be sure to let us know whether it was successful.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup castor oil
  • 2 gallons water

Directions

Pour this solution around the perimeter of you garden or lawn and keep some on hand to pour on mole mounds when they appear. Continue doing this for a month.

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard.

Question: Getting Rid of Moles

How do I get rid of moles? They are terrible this year in our area.

By Ginny

Best Answer

By Cajun03/28/2012

Treating for grubs is very expensive and is only about 50% effective. If possible, encourage owls to your area. Talk to your State's Game & Fish Commission; if you have trees, install an Owl House.

The one nice thing is, once they nest and have chicks, they return every pre-Spring and do their hunting in the evenings. Nice to hear them chatter away because I know they're looking for those nasty little critters to show themselves.:)

Encourage Owls to Nest

Question: Getting Rid of Moles in the Yard

Would anyone know how to help get rid of moles in my yard? They're turning it into a sponge. I've tried all the commercial products and the spinner things to no avail.

By Crystal F.

Best Answer

By Maddy04/02/2012

Getting rid of moles is a problem for a lot of people. I learned if you have moles you have grubs which is a white worm that lives under your grass and you would never know they were there until you see the moles, and they are what the moles feed on.

I found by running a rolling spike across your lawn which puts holes in your lawn, which is called an aerator (you can probably rent one or borrow one from someone who has a farm). This helps with the getting rid of the grubs which you will then have to buy some Grub Ex at your local home improvement store. Spread it over the lawn using a spreader with the holes in the ground.

It makes it easier for the grub ex to get into the ground to do what it was made to do, get rid of the grubs. The primary goal here is to get rid of the grubs first and once you get rid of them you get rid of the moles.

Question: Getting Rid of Moles

We have moles and maybe voles in the yard, leaving little mounds of dirt everywhere. When it was just in the lawn it was bad enough, but now something is in the veggie garden. How do we get rid of them?

By Zippy

Best Answer

By Eileen M.07/05/2011

You may need to put hardware cloth under the planter beds to keep the burrowing critters out. Easier to do when you have raised beds, of course, but you could do it by digging out the regular bed soil, putting down the hardware cloth in a "U" shape, and re-filling the bed. Good luck!

Question: Getting Rid of Mole, Voles, or Gophers

Is there an easy way to rid my yard of voles, moles, and gophers? They are destroying my lawn and shrubs.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Dee from Long Island, NY

Best Answer

By Ben11/16/2010

Castor Oil and Cayenne pepper work pretty well. The Castor Oil has to be an industrial grade (you can see if you have Murphy's Castor Oil around the house). They don't like the smell of the pepper or oil.
The trouble with moles and voles is they dig, and most products out on the market only hit the surface. If you're only concerned about your garden or other small area, try stirring up the soil a little and put some cayenne pepper and castor oil in there. Ammonia is also a strong smell that will deter them.

I've also heard of using human hair. Never tried it, but some friends told me if you stir it in the soil that will repel them as well. I've even heard someone say they used to put a donut in the holes, and it actually worked! :)

Question: Getting Rid of Moles

I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Does anyone know how I can keep moles out of my garden?

By June from Cape Town South Africa

Best Answer

By PENNY K07/25/2010

Good grief, from Portland, Oregon, to Capetown, those pesky diggers are everywhere. My sis in law tried hair and steel wool down the holes and only minimal success. I would think anything physical that would impede comfortable digging for them, since their skin is sensitive. Maybe she didn't use enough hair.

They do aerate the soil and bring up minerals for plants, but that's no satisfaction when your flowers are imploding.One might put down wire screening of some kind in flower beds about 12 inches down and form it into a box with sides and replant dirt and plants.

Or if one had access to a thorny bush lay branches about 16 inches below plants. It would take some time to decompose, probably good for 2-3 years. Perhaps rose bush clippings.

Anybody know what discourages moles in nature?

Question: Ridding My Yard of Moles

How do I get rid of moles in my yard?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Debbie from Fremont, CA

Best Answer

By Penny06/02/2010

My ex-husband swears by using cotton balls soaked in caster oil. After soaking cotton balls you just drop them in the mole holes or open a tunnel and drop in the moies don't like the oil on there skin and I think the smell also.

Question: Moles Tearing Up My Yard

We are having some serious issues with ground moles and the many tunnels they keep digging in our yard. Our next door neighbor keeps throwing bread out in her yard. Can someone tell me if moles also feast on bread? She will not stop doing this. We also have a problem with ground squirrels and the many holes they too dig. This is getting out of control. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

By Sandy from IL

Best Answer

By Lilac12/02/2009

I don't think moles eat bread. They eat insects and are especially fond of grubs. If you can find a biodegradable organic insecticide (I think there are such things) spray the yard. With no food, the moles will leave. If insects are eating the bread then the moles might just move next door.

Question: Getting Rid of Moles With Moth Balls

Do mothballs really get rid of moles?

By Beverly from Kansas

Best Answer

By carol slack03/24/2009

You need to get a lawn fertilizer type product that contains grub giller. Grubs are these gross white worm looking bugs that live in the roots of the grass & attract the moles as the moles eat the grubs. Follow the package directions. It is usually best to do the application before a good rain and this is also a good time of year to do this. Be sure to by enough product to get the job done right the first time! If you don't get the problem under control it can become quite costly. Friends of mine actually had to remove their whole lawn and replant it. Good luck!

Question: Ground Moles

I live in Illinois and this Summer we hardly had any rain and it's been extemely hot. I have lived in my house for 14 years and this is the very first time that I have ground hogs or ground moles making tunnels in my front yard. They have eaten up my entire Hosta plant. What is the best way to get rid of this pest so it doesn't come back next year?

Best Answers

By J.Kevin L. (Guest Post)06/23/2008

Theres no reason to kill the little fellow, just do what I did and find his hole stick a water hose in it and then fill it up. Surprisingly you will see him come out of the ground from another hole that you weren't aware of and then you can put him in a bucket and take him to the park and release him safely. If your lucky when ever you go for a walk at the park you may see him building a new home and then feel good that he is still alive and happy. Thanks for reading, from Kevin L. in Arlington, Texas.

Best Answers

By Carol (Guest Post)08/30/2005

The main reason for moles is that they are after the grubs(an insect) in your yards. So the easiest way to get rid of them is to go to the garden center and get something to kill grubs and the moles will leave too. It's no too hard really, you could pay a professional to rid your yard of grubs but it is not hard to do your self.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Moles

How can I get rid of ground moles naturally? Thank you, Darlene from North Street, MI

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

(b)Get rid of ground moles safely with castor-oil(/b) organic mole repellents. Moles cannot digest oil-coated worms, and will seek nutrients elsewhere. You can get Scoot Mole ORGANIC repellent from Bird-X. This is their website: (b)http://www.bird-x.com/products/mole.html(/b) (07/10/2006)

By Sanchez

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

A while back I read about someone putting dirty diapers in the holes. I know I would stay out!(07/11/2006)

By Sarah

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

Get a cat! (07/11/2006)

By

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

JerryBaker.com carries big pencil shaped, battery operated mole things which emit pulsing vibrations into the ground the moles cannot handle. Last year I put one in each of my gardening areas and that ended the problem of moles for me. I left them in over the winter and the batteries are still going strong. (07/11/2006)

By

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

I have trapped moles and other varmints in a live trap.You can buy one at a local hardware store. I load it with sunflower seeds. When the trap is sprung I take it a few miles away and release the varmint. Let him bug someone else. I also have read about traps that kill moles but you have to find the run and plant the trap. Once killed you have to dispose of the animal. (07/12/2006)

By Dean

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

While growing up we had moles. My mother bought mole bean plants. Big, tall green plants with a thick stalk. After that we never had mole problems. (07/12/2006)

By ness1up2

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

Would those bean plants happen to have huge six-sided leaves? I hope so! I've been told the plant we have growing is what old-timers call "Castor Bean" plants. (07/12/2006)

By bekkicat

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

Poision isn't the answer. Instead, use P7096 Mole chaser www.tesco-shoping.com works every time. Just insert it in the ground and let it do it's thing. The moles will leave and won't return, just change the batteries every 4 months - that's it. (03/08/2007)

By Paul

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

BE CAREFUL! Poisoning moles in some states is illegal. Check your state laws! (11/14/2007)

By david

RE: Getting Rid of Moles

I've heard that ground cayenne pepper works well, if spread anywhere that moles have been. (11/22/2007)

By maria

Archive: Ridding My Yard of Moles

How do I rid my yard of moles?

Reg from Wheatfield

RE: Ridding My Yard of Moles

They have those things you stick in the ground that rotate & make noise under the ground. I don't remember what they're called. Your local nursery would probably know. Don't listen to anyone who wants you to injure or kill them. There are humane ways to get rid of them besides the spinning thing. Try the page in this catalog,

http://www.gardeners.com/Garden-Pest-Control/default/StandardCatalog.GardenPestControl.cat

They have a lot of organic, safe products for maintaining the yard & animal control. (03/01/2007)

By Me

RE: Ridding My Yard of Moles

I had crane flies one year and lawn die off the next from the grubs that they lay in the lawn. The following year I had moles. I let them be and they ate all the grubs. All is well now. Usually the moles are attracted by something like grubs in your lawn.

Susan from ThriftyFun (03/01/2007)

By ThriftyFun

Archive: Ridding My Yard of Moles

Does anyone know how to eliminate ground moles and woodchucks from taking up residence in an and around our home.

Archive: Getting Rid of Moles

I have a garden mole destroying my lawn and garden. Is there any sure fire way to help me get rid of this varmint?

Pat from Fairfield, CT

Use Mol-Tox

I had moles dig right next to my "mole chaser". My husband and I had a good laugh over that one. I have found after trying many different things (I even tried the Juicy Fruit gum remedy). Only poison really does the trick. I use a product called mol-tox and have had pretty good results.

By Lisa in NY

Try Cat Litter

Put used cat litter on top of each dirt mound. The mole will think its a predator and will move on to another area. An employee at a hardware store told us about this and it worked for us.

By Rose Mary

Use Mole Poison

We tried everything we heard to get rid of moles. We even ran a hose from our car exhaust to a mole run, hoping the gas would either kill one or two of them or bring them out of the ground. The only thing it did was make our whole yard smell like exhaust fumes.

After setting traps, trying the windmill thingies and trying other "natural" things, we finally got rid of them by using a bait called Mole Patrol. We put it in a mole run, cover it up, and usually don't see any sign of the mole again. It took a couple of years of monitoring all the runs, but we finally have them under control. I think we had a total of 2 moles last year, a record low.

By Sharon

Mothballs May Repel Moles

I had moles one summer and the way I got rid of them was putting mothballs all over the places where the holes were; I haven't had any since and it has been two summers.

By boonjaras

Try Getting a Cat

I have 3 cats who are expert hunters. Thanks to them, I can have a pesticide-free garden, and they don't get sick from eating a poisoned rodent. They are indoor/outdoor, but love being outside the most. Every now and then they even share one of their conquests with me and leave me a present on the doormat. It's so nasty, but better than having a ruined garden.

By Barbara

Some Dogs Hunt Moles

My golden retriever mix is a "crack" mole hunter. She lives for sniffing them out and waiting for movement. When she sees the least bit of earth move, she points, waits just a bit, and then dives right in and yanks out the mole. I think last year she got between 15 and 20 of them. I don't mind filling in her holes either, it's better than the many mole runs I walk along to flatten on a weekly basis.

By Mary Moo

Try Drano

I've used Drano successfully. Put a tablespoon of Drano in the hole and add water. Supposedly, it burns their feet and they don't come back. It's worked successfully for me for several years, but Drano is rather expensive. Cat litter sounds like a cheaper remedy, hope it works.

By Candace

Archive: Moles Tearing Up My Yard

I have moles that are tearing up my yard and I don't know how to get rid of them. Can anyone help me with this problem? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, JOANIE FROM LOUISANA