Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cat Peeing on Dirty Clothes

My cat is 2 yrs old and has just started peeing on our clothing and our bed. Her litter pan stays clean at all times, but she insists on using our stuff to pee on. I punish her by showing her what she did wrong and then putting her in her cage for a time out. Why is that?

By Shaby from St. Louis, MO

By Sasha8210/05/2012

This is a pretty easy one. Cats, as well as dogs pee instinctively where they smell urine. This is because urine has ammonia in it. If an animal smells the urine scent, they will associate that area as the place where they should be going to the bathroom. This is instinct. It has nothing to do with training your cat, a UTI or any of the other crazy things suggested here. Dirty clothes do have traces of urine in them. Whether it be from underwear, or germs transferred to other articles of clothing.

To stop your cat from peeing on dirty laundry, keep your dirty laundry in a hamper. You will also want to be sure the area where you had the dirty clothes is clean. I would suggest a cleaner like Genesis 950 as it removes the stains and the odor - even the odors you can't smell but your cat can. DO NOT clean that area with ammonia or vinegar as these products contain some of the same chemical components that are found in urine, and therefore would only reinforce your cat to go in that area.

By Dena Roberts [31]07/26/2010

Cats will also do that if they have an ulcer, as one of my cats has every time it acts up, he pees on stuff. Very high strung cat! Take your cat to the vet.

By Candy Killion [8]07/17/2010

Agree with the posters who've said that maybe a vet visit is a good idea, also had a cat who only did that when he had a UTI. Putting her in the cage for a time-out really won't work; doing that after the fact only confuses them and can prompt more unusual behaviors.

By Lizzyanny [9]07/17/2010

My cat did the same thing. It is a marking behavior showing the world she owns (loves) you. I don't leave laundry on the floor anymore. Be sure to have your cat checked for a urinary tract infection any time she abandons the litter box. You can also try a product called Comfort Zone with feliway. Where you spray it the cat will not mark. Good luck. She is a beautiful cat.

By Anonymous [848]07/17/2010

If it's not physical it's emotional. Since you mention she did not used to do this something is eating at her. Have there been any changes at all in your home? I also beg you to not 'show her she was wrong'! Animals do not think like we humans and you most likely are making the behavior worse by punishing her. She loves you and by you punishing her natural instincts is going to cause all kinds of emotional and trust issues. :-( Wash your bedding and use a vinegar rinse and keep your dirty clothes in a closet where she can't get to them and be sure to have the vet check her for physical problems and ask for more behavioral advice.

By Debby [6]07/17/2010

Yeap, our cat did the same thing when he had a urinary tract infection. Have the vet check her for that. Urinary tract infections can get so extreme that the cat can go into a coma. It's best to have it checked even if this is not the problem.

By Julia [136]07/16/2010

Sometimes, it's the litter they object to. Just try a different litter and see if that helps at all. If it does, then add just a little of what you're using now in with the new litter and get it used up that way, or save it to put on icy sidewalks or steps in the winter, and you can also use it in the garden if nothing else.

There's something about a cat that pees on her owner's clothing that is trying to tell them something.
Otherwise, she or he would just go on a rug or carpet. She's trying to communicate something to you in the only way she knows how.

If she was spayed before she was a month old, she could have a urinary tract problem too. She would also try to let you know that by doing what she's doing.

I wish you good luck, just don't give up on her yet.
She's a very beautiful kitty.

Pookarina

Here are questions related to Cat Peeing on Dirty Clothes.

Question: Cat Wetting on Clothes

Why does my female cat keep wetting on any item of clothing that is on the floor? My cats are very good about using the littler box, but lately Maggie (who I caught in the act, so now we know the culprit) wets on any item of clothing that is left on the floor. I scoop the cat box 2 times a day and have gone back to the regular litter we used. Why is she doing this?

By Bonnie B

Most Recent Answer

By Anonymous07/03/2012

I also recommend a visit to the vet no matter what to be sure she's physically okay but could you tell us if there are any type of changes or stress in your household? Is perhaps someone treating her differently than what she's used to? Is there a new human or animal addition in the home? If a cat does urinates on clothing it could mean an infection and/or that she is really upset about something.

I once had a cat, Niki, who never urinated outside of her box but then when I had a young lady move in temorarily because she had no other place to live my cat started urinating on clothing or towels left on the floor. Turns out the young lady was not a very nice person and I truly believe Niki simply sensed that. Once the young lady moved out Niki never urinated outside of her box again.

Question: Cat Peeing on Laundry and Dog Kennels

How do I keep my 17 year old calico cat named Samantha from peeing in the dog kennels and on my dirty clothes? I have 7 animals in my 864 square foot home, 3 large Labs and 4 cats. All of the animals are over 10 years old, except one dog and one cat.

I suspect she has a urinary tract infection, but she can't travel to the vet's office. She gets very car sick. Can the vet give me something to make her woozy so she can go to the doctor and get checked out?

I am pulling my hair out. We also just took one of my mom's cats and I was wondering if she is doing this in protest of my mom's cat being there. This cat has lived with several animals including snakes, rats, other dogs, lizards, etc. What do I do?

By Deborah D

Most Recent Answer

By Dena Roberts08/22/2012

Be careful with the cranberry meds as cranberries can cause really bad heartburn in some people and animals.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cat Peeing on Dirty Clothes

I have a cat who is 2 or 3 and she has started peeing on our dirty clothes. She has done it before once or twice, but now it's getting to be every other day in the same spot.