Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Smelly Freezer

Cleaning the stench out of a freezer can be difficult especially if you have a lot of built up ice. With these tips you will have your freezer smelling fresh again. This is a guide about cleaning a smelly freezer.

August 26, 2011 Flag

Many years ago, my son unplugged my well stocked freezer to plug in his stereo. Unfortunately, he did not plug the freezer back in when he finished listening to his CD. I didn't realize the freezer was unplugged for close to a month. You have no idea how sickening the smell and sight was when I opened that freezer door that morning. It was absolutely horrible! I had just bought a hind quarter of beef and had frozen tomatoes and other vegetables for the winter. Everything was gone.

It wasn't easy, but somehow I was able to clean out and dispose of everything. Cleaning with bleach, baking soda, ammonia, and vinegar did nothing to rid my freezer of the horrible odor. We finally gave up and decided to just take it to the dump.

The very day our friend was due to come over and help load the freezer into the truck to go to the dump, my dear aunt told me she knew a way to rid freezers of smells, use 'pure' vanilla. She said to take a large bottle of 'pure' vanilla and put it in a bowl and then put the bowl in the freezer and close the door. Leave the freezer closed without opening it for 3-4 days.

I was skeptical, but figured why not. I had nothing more to lose. We canceled the dump run and purchased the largest bottle of pure vanilla we could find. Four days later, I opened up the freezer to find absolutely no smell lingering from the rotted meats or vegetables. Absolutely amazing. It was just as fresh as ever.

We lost a ton of meat and produce that day, but we used the freezer for another 5 years.

Source: My dear aunt

By Bayliner from Perry Hall, MD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My daughter put a box of flowers from her wedding in the freezer and all packaging on the meat took on the odor of the box material. If I try the vanilla do you do it while freezer is plugged in or un plugged

Deep Freeze

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

A fishy smell in an appliance can be a challenge to remove. This page is about rotten fish smell in freezer.

June 19, 2006 Flag

If you have ever had a freezer lose power and have had the stench of rotten meat; here's a tip I learned from my grandmother. Not sure why, but their freezer shut down. They always bought their meat in later year, in halves. Before that they were farmers and raised their own.

After cleaning their freezer out with baking soda, they put a large bag of charcoal in the bottom of the fridge for several days. The smell was gone and they were able to use the freezer again. Before the charcoal, they thought they were going to have to get rid of it.

Several years after this happened to them, my husband needing a 3 prong adapter, unplugged our freezer and forgot to plug it back in. I used Grandma's advise and it worked for me. Appliances are very expensive so I appreciated Grandma's knowledge in the matter. I'm kind of new to this site and imagine that this may have been posted before, but thought maybe there are other people out there like me. Speaking of this site, It is awesome! I'm addicted to it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

Thank you so much for this. We just returned from a holiday to find our electricity had shut down 6 days prior and our freezer was full and the stench was horrible. So tomorrow I will go out and get some charcoal. Thanks to my friend Hitomi for finding this for me. Will let you know if it worked.

Contents of a freezer compartment from a refrigerator with the freezer on top

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning rotten meat odors from a freezer. A power outage or a malfunctioning freezer can leave you with spoiled meat and the odor that comes with that.

May 6, 2011 Flag

The freezer was turned off and we were away for 5 weeks. We came back to a freezer full of rotting pungent food. Please help! What can I do to get rid of the smell? Please!

By Maggie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Wash completely. (I'm sure you've done that a few times already) then spray with lemon oil, let rest for a day, then wash again. You can also place a bowl of ground coffee in there for a few days to absorb the yucky aromas. If you would like to make a lemon "oil" of your own, you can boil lemon halves previously used for lemonade etc. in a salted water until the liquid has reduced to half. I start with 1/2 litre water to two lemon halves.

Best Answer

Our daughter's small chest type freezer was off for about 3 weeks and she did not know it. She did not have much meat in it but had a lot of frozen tomatoes. It was full of food and it smelled rotten. We took it out on the deck, scooped out the liquid mess and put it in 5 gallon buckets and poured it out in the woods. The smell about got us.

After getting it cleaned out, we scrubbed it with Clorox water and that did not get rid of the odor. Then we tried white vinegar and still it smelled bad. We also cleaned with lemon juice and soda. It still smelled bad so we let it sit outside in the hot sun with the top open for a couple of days. It still had the odor in it and I thought she would have to junk it but we took it back inside and plugged it up and let it run.

She put a bag of charcoal in it and gradually filled it with jugs of water so it would be full. After a few months, the odor was gone and the freezer was fine. No odor at all.

Best Answer

Coffee grounds, un-used! I put fresh coffee from container on a plate & place in freezer and keep changing till "rotten" smell goes way!

August 10, 2015 Flag

I just a few minutes ago purchased a used freezer from a girl who had no clue. It was nasty. This freezer truly smells like something was dead in it! I have never smelled anything like this and I work in surgery and smell a lot of things. I have cleaned it with straight bleach, then Clorox Clean Up and just rinsed with vinegar. It is awful! It still stinks like something rotten or pet urine. What can I do to get rid of this smell? Thanks.

Sam

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It doesn't hurt to try tossing in a few charcoal briquettes and closing it up. Check it the next day, if the smell has indeed lessened take those briquettes and toss them in a sealed baggie in the outdoor trash and use a few new ones for the next 24 hours. Some people report having good luck with wadding up several sheets of newspaper and putting them inside as well. With either option the freezer does not need to be turned on.

I have had good luck with this method. Turn the freezer on it's side and look to make sure nothing crawled under it and died. Then, if you have to, unscrew the outer shell from the insulation which is often Styrofoam. If something melted and got into that...you can replace it but it's hard to win the day with a very big or very old stain.

The best thing to remember also is that a day or two in the direct sun is the only thing that cures a stinky sponge so you may want to just air it out.

Good luck!

Look for a dead mouse in the insulation.

August 1, 2016 Flag

My freezer was turned off the other day for long enough for the meat to thaw but not go bad. The blood from the meat ran down the freezer sides. I thought I got it all because the freezer itself did not smell. Two days later and there is a terrible smell coming from near the freezer. I moved the big sucker and there is some blood that had found its way to the floor. There also appears to be some in a tiny metal tray supporting the internal components of freezer.

Now I cleaned all of the blood, dismantled the freezer inside and Lysoled and CLRed and scrubbed with all propose. The freezer doesn't stink, but behind the freezer and even down near the metal tray it smells like animal urine and rot. The copper lines that feed the inside coils enter the freezer is right where smell is coming from. I'm a loss at how to proceed. I just bought this thing. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may need a refrigerator service person to find and clean the problem area. It may be difficult or impossible for you to locate and fix yourself.

August 14, 2015 Flag

With the different ideas for ridding the freezer of rotten food odors none of them answer the question, should you have the freezer running or not. Both the pure vanilla idea as well as the charcoal sound like really good ideas. So should the freezer be running when trying theses ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

An open box of baking soda.

I don't think it will matter.

May 28, 2015 Flag

I am currently a freshman in college and my roommate put ice cream in our freezer about five months ago. While we were on break, the ice cream somehow melted in our freezer. The melted ice cream has now frozen to the freezer and no one can open the freezer without it smelling terribly! I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions on the best and most painless way to get rid of the smell and clean the freezer.

Thanks so much in advance!!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You're pretty much just going to have to knuckle down and do this.

Remove all the food you want to keep to coolers, if there is any other food. Unplug the freezer.

Put on a mask if you have to. Wait until it gets slushy on the inside. Use warm water and a plastic (NOT metal) putty knife to remove everything from the freezer.

Clean the freezer with warm water and a little dish soap. Be sure to wash the door gasket. Then deodorize by leaving a tray of fresh coffee grounds in the freezer for a few days.

I have used warm water mixed with baking soda , then rinse & dry. 1 quart of water/1 tablespoon baking soda. I also clean the entire inside with this mixture, great for cleaning & removing odors.

April 6, 2016 Flag

While on vacation, a small standup freezer in the garage became unplugged while full of food. Needless to say the smell was so bad. I got all the food out and hosed it out what to do next?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 2, 2013 Flag

I cleaned the freezer with soda solution and rinsed it good. I then put crumpled newspaper and two cake pans of fresh, dry coffee grounds in the freezer. I need to know if I leave lid (chest type freezer) open or close it for two days? Thanks for any advice!

By Helen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Closed and plugged in

April 6, 2014 Flag

Our freezer was shut down in October, and the lid closed for 6 months. There are no words to describe the stench. Is there any way to get rid of the smell? I read other tips. Do you put the charcoal or vanilla in with the freezer on or off?

By Nancy T.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 30, 2013 Flag

A jar with turps fell off a shelf and seems to have seeped into the freezer. We are struggling despite several cleanngs to eradicate the smell and it seems to be seeping into new food. Any suggestions please?

By Sarah B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesSeptember 8, 2011
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Steam Cleaning Smelly Carpet
Cleaning Smelly Carpet
Cleaning Rotten Meat Odors from a Freezer
Deep Freeze
Rotten Fish Smell in Freezer
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 7:50:41 PM on 10.0.0.36 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.