Removing Spiders from the Ceiling

I live in a 2nd floor apt. and we get a lot of spiders in the summer. My daughter is petrified of them and I'm not too fond of them myself. We always seem to find them on our high ceilings. I have tried using my Swiffer or a mop or broom to smoosh them but it makes them drop on the floor and sometimes run away. Does anyone know of a better solution to this pesky and a little creepy problem? I was looking at those bug vacuums but they are all too short to reach the ceiling. Any help or suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!

I use my regular vacuum cleaner with a extension. For flies I have a spray bottle with window cleaner mixed with rubbing alcohol. I get close to the fly and spray out a mist. The liquid prevents the fly from flying and they drop to the floor then I vacuum them up.

Ditto on the vacuum cleaner with the extension. If it is late and I don't want to wake anyone up, I use a spray mister bottle with only water in it. I spray in the general area of the spidey, and the water vapor or the breeze of it moves them from the ceiling over to wall where I have a better chance of reaching it and without it falling on me. Bug sprays tend to leave marks on the ceiling and makes them fall down and doesn't always kill them instantly. Ick! Hate the lil' buggers!

I read somewhere (maybe here?) that if you spray them with AEROSOL hairspray it "freezes" them to their spot. Then maybe you could smoosh them or suck them up with the vacuum extension pole? God Bless, Sheila in Cocoa, FL

I use ammonia and water in a spray bottle. Mist ceiling, will kill existing ones and no more will return : ) Works outside too!

Extend your vacuum hose with wrapping paper tube! I do this all the time for my high ceilings and those nasty critters!

Had a spider on our living room ceiling just the other day AND I sprayed it with my aresol Hair Spray & then removed "it" with a napkin that I flushed right away (in case it was still alive). The hair spray stuck him right to the ceiling where I had no trouble picking him off of the ceiling (once I got a chair out to stand on and reached up with).

I beleive I got the idea from here and it works!

If you are my father, you use a broom to flick the spider off the ceiling, and then assume your daughter will be content with having a giant spider loose somewhere in the room if she can't *see* it.

Maybe a better solution would be not to eliminate. Spiders eat and trap all kinds of indoor predators, dust mites etc. I find that they can be as friendly on the inside as much as on the outside. I usually leave the non-intrusive ones and relocate the others so as not to harm any ecological balance. This is not my idea. I learned in Girl Scouts to "kill no living creature" as everything has it's purpose on this earth.

To keep spiders away you make up in a spray bottle 30ml of lemon juice and 500ml of water and spray around the ceiling edges. I haven't tried it but I will.

I spray mine with plain water till they drop. Most won't move too much when wet - after which I take them outside. I find this is the most humane way to treat the problem.

We use shaving cream lol it sticks them there and you can get it with a paper towel and not have to touch it(the spider itself). It works every time, sometimes I flick them away but it freaks my kids out!

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas. I can't just "live" with them in my house...my daughter is way too afraid of them. I wouldn't do that to her. But I will try to use the wrapping paper tube...that's a great idea. I will try the different spray bottle ideas as well.

You could use the lemon juice idea and add salt. Then you could spray the spider with febreze and pour the lemon juice on top of it. Keep spraying until the spider stops moving.

Have you tried going to Home Depot and finding some couplings and a piece of pipe that would allow you to extend the reach of the vacuum?

A spider trapped under a drinking glass.
Getting Rid of Spiders
Home and Garden Pest Control SpidersJune 13, 2008
Whole and sliced Hedge Apples (Maclura pomifera) also known as Osage Oranges against a white background
Using Hedge Apples to Repel Spiders
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Huntsman spider against a white window frame
Keeping Spiders Out of Your House
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
🎄