Getting Rid of Spiders

How do I get rid of spiders? Usually we have had them in the basement only, but we have been finding them all through the house. My daughter is scared of them and I would like to know how to prevent them from traveling everywhere.

By Monika K

There is not much you can do about spiders, and since they usually trap flies and other insects in their webs, they are doing good things for you. I use a broom to get rid of their webs and squish them if they are someplace I don't want them, like my kitchen. Why don't you try explaining to your daughter that spiders are beneficial, so that she is not so frightened of them.

Which would you rather have - spiders or all the other bugs spiders eat? I love to see spiders hard at work. My adult daughter also learned to love them.

I don't care how beneficial spiders are, they scare me silly. I've been find huge ones in my home in the past year and have been sleeping with the light on. I'm thinking of trying a bug bomb.

We use sticky traps in our garage for spiders.

I have recently read that if you tale peppermint essential oil and mix with water, then spray it around to create a barrier for whatever room, the spiders don't like it and will stay away. I have not tried this, personally, but I hope this helps!

Anonymous

I Use this method & It does work.I had spiders in my basement around the windows, so I sprayed the peppermint essential water around all the windows, & don't have the spiders anymore. It also works for mice, they don't like the smell.

Anonymous

I've tried this and it seems to work, have to do it quite often.