Removing Oil Stains From Carpet

My husband was good at tracking mud and oil into our carpet, until I finally made him clean it up. The stains were a nightmare. Not so much the mud, but the oil that he tracked in along with the mud sent me through the roof. I was tired of buying poisonous chemicals off the market shelf so I tried an old remedy from my ex-mother-in-law (clean-freak, yet great cook).

I used baking soda on the stains and sprinkled lemon juice onto the baking soda. Watch it fizz! It actually soaks up the substance. I tend to leave it overnight some times on tougher stains. Voila! The stain disappeared, the house isn't bombarded with bad fumes and no more head-bumps from the ceiling.

By anaise from Magnolia, TX

Top Comment

Sounds like a great, and green recipe. Love that last line, stealth humor! rotfl!

Top Comment

I have removed a large oil spot in my car using table salt. Long time ago, in Romania, they used salt to remove oil spots from fabrics. So I tried it in my car and it took it out 100%. I poured salt on the oil spot and as soon as it gets oily, I will remove it and add more. You repeat this until you see the salt no longer gets oily. Then you vacuum. I used two different vacuums, one shop vac and my Dyson. Both of them did the job. I had over one quart of oil spilled on the floor of my back seat. You have to have 3-5 (or more if needed) table salt containers, but considering its price it is still cheap versus the other choices. On the carpet rug that I could remove, I tried Tide, Zep Degreaser, Vinegar, Downy, nothing worked. Only Dawn Dish detergent. Good luck with your cleaning job. I am satisfied I have no more oil in my car.

I'd like to try this-but, doesn't the lemon juice/bakin' soda bleach the carpet somewhat?

Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJuly 7, 2010
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🎉
🎄