Preserve Fresh Bouquets for Potpourri

contest winner icon

Last December our mother passed away and we received many beautiful fresh flower bouquets. After the service, my sister and I took all the flowers home, remarking how beautiful they were and what a shame they would die. I came up with the idea of drying the flowers and making potpourri out of them!

We did just that by letting the flowers air dry naturally. After a few weeks, we started collecting only the completely dry petals and leaves, leaving the others that were not quite dry yet alone to be checked on later.

We placed the dried petals in a big bowl that was uncovered and turned them weekly.

Finally when all the flowers had dried sufficiently, we sprinkled drops of refresher oil over all, stirred up good, and packed into decorative glass jars tied with a ribbon.

We then gave these jars out to family members this past Mother's Day in memory of our dear Mom. We chose a refresher oil of lilac as it was our mother's favorite but you could pick one that has special meaning to you and your family.

By Gypsygina from Oklahoma City, OK

This is a lovely idea! Thank you.

That's a very thoughtful idea.

This is a wonderful way to share the memories of your mom. And now I have a great idea what to do with the flowers I got this Mother's Day. Thanks!

I agree -- a lovely idea.

Wow what a thoughtful idea. I wondered what I could've used the petals for....thanks! Next time I get flowers I will remember this. It is cheaper than going to buy the whole bag of potpourri. Now I can make it myself. Thanks for sharing this!

First of all, sincere sympathy on the loss of your mother. And, thank you for sharing a wonderful idea, as well as how to do it. Would be a lovely way to save flowers from a wedding bouquet, too. This idea is definitely a keeper. Thanks, again!

Thank you for such a wonderful idea. My husband just passed away and I, too, have a beautiful flowers left over and hated to throw them away. What a nice way to preserve the memories.

Making Your Own Potpourri
Making Your Own Potpourri
Crafts FloralMay 18, 2009
A pink bag filled with potpourri hanging from a door handle.
Uses for Potpourri
dish of grapefruit potpourri with slices for hanging on the side
Making Grapefruit Potpourri
Close up of cinnamon and orange potpouri
Making a Cinnamon and Orange Potpourri Bag
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri, Dried Flowers in Container
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri
🎉
🎄