Making Your Own Potpourri

Last December our mother passed away and we received many beautiful fresh flower bouquets. After the service, my sister and I took all the flowers home, remarking how beautiful they were and what a shame they would die. I came up with the idea of drying the flowers and making potpourri out of them!

We did just that by letting the flowers air dry naturally. After a few weeks, we started collecting only the completely dry petals and leaves, leaving the others that were not quite dry yet alone to be checked on later.

We placed the dried petals in a big bowl that was uncovered and turned them weekly.

Finally when all the flowers had dried sufficiently, we sprinkled drops of refresher oil over all, stirred up good, and packed into decorative glass jars tied with a ribbon.

We then gave these jars out to family members this past Mother's Day in memory of our dear Mom. We chose a refresher oil of lilac as it was our mother's favorite but you could pick one that has special meaning to you and your family.

By Gina from Oklahoma City, OK

More Solutions

Think ahead for wonderful holiday gifts. Each spring and summer I used to go around to my friends' gardens and pick the flower petals up from the ground. Take the flowers or petals home and lay them out on newspaper on the floor and leave to dry.

Potpourri on White Background

My daughters always give me odd flavored tea for gifts - hot cinnamon spice, gingerbread, and many other great smelling but not so good tasting teas. I tried putting some in a jar in my bathroom, and it worked perfect for a potpourri.

Near the the holidays, I find myself buying more apples and oranges than usual. I love the aroma of baked apple pie or the smell of oranges. Whenever I peel an apple or orange, I throw the peel into a pan of water on the stove.

When I deadhead my herbs, I put the clippings in a nice bowl on a table, the bathroom counter, or anywhere. Then every time I walk past, I just toss them a few times with my fingertips. This releases the fragrance into the room even more and helps it to dry evenly.

Lemon thyme in a bowl.

During the summer months we get a lot of flowers at our work. I wait until they are dying and then I strip away the petals and spread them in a box lid and allow them to dry. I turn them every so often and when they are completely dry I put them into a gallon sized baggie.

Mix together, bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat.

17 Questions

I use potpourri in a big pan with water and put on top of the stove to simmer all day to keep my home smelling good. My question is can I save the water of the potpourri and add a scent the same as the potpourri then use it as a liquid potpourri?

Angie from WI

Answers

What I would suggest rather than keeping the liquid, would be to just take water and add a few drops of pure essential oil. Lemon, orange, wintergreen, lavendar or any number of choices. The cost for the oil is expensive, but the bottle goes a long way as only two or three drops is required. Also works good in the bathwater too for a relaxing bath. You could also use the essential oils in a bottle with some alcool as a mist air freshner.

Save yourself some money and buy a "little dipper" from Walmart. It is like a mini crockpot, it holds @3-4 cups. I use mine lots for dips and potpourri.
You can find them for around $5.00 and it takes a lot less power to use a plug in appliance that stove top.
www.recipezaar.com type in potpourri, they have recipes there.
I have used the same water for up to 3 days.

Thanks for the tips
Angie

How about the Dollar Stores Perfume Mist Sprays? A quick squirt in the dryer does it here & most Softener Sheets are Scented!

Answer this Question

How can I make homemade potpourri in five days?

By Cherry1976 from Sacramento

Answers

I have dried the flowers petals and botanicals in the oven on the lowest setting laying on paper towels on top of cookie cooling racks that are setting on cookie sheets. The petals dry overnight, cool them and then add orris root (to prolong the fragrance), and essential oils of your choosing. I also add dried citrus rind or slices, small pine cones or sweet gum balls, etc. etc.

Answer this Question

Can you make your own potpourri using gelatin and essential oil? Many thanks.

Helen xx

By helen from U.K

Answers

Sorry I was addressing another situation. Have no idea about using gelatin.
I made homemade potpourri with flowers that I dried and then adding a scent from the essential oils.
Good Luck!
Gem

Answer this Question

How can I use cedar clippings to make potpourri?

By kab

Answer this Question

I am looking for information about using a dehydrator for making potpourri.

Lynda

Answer this Question

Wonderful seasonal fragrance can fill your home with a simmering potpourri. You can make a special blend for an inexpensive holiday gift.

Bags of holiday potpourri made as gifts.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about making grapefruit potpourri. Release a luscious citrus aroma into your home by making your own dried grapefruit potpourri.

Making Grapefruit Potpourri

This is a page about making a cinnamon and orange potpourri bag. The spicy scent of cinnamon and the sweet citrusy aroma of orange combine very well to make an amazing potpourri bag.

Close up of cinnamon and orange potpouri

Potpourri Recipe. I am looking for a recipe to make a simmering potpourri that I can heat in a small electric potpourri pot.

Load More
Crafts FloralJune 19, 2012
😷
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Your-Own-Potpourri.html