Fried Green Tomatoes

I would like to know how to fry good green tomatoes? I need a great batter.

By Rere from Philadelphia, MS

All you need for the best fried green tomatoes is bacon grease, about 1/2 inch thick slices green tomatoes and corn meal & flour ( I use 3 or 4 tablespoonful of corn meal to 1 tablespoon of flour). Mix the dry ingredients on a paper plate. Wash the tomatoes and slice them .Leave them damp but not dripping water. Dredge the slices in the dry mix and place in the heated bacon grease. Fry a couple of minutes on each side ,until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Enjoy. Great Granny Vi

Oh you don't want to eat these every day, but for once in awhile do it right with bacon grease. ;-)

Slice your washed green tomatoes about 1/4" thick; drain on paper towels; dredge in flour, then beaten egg, then in seasoned bread crumbs. Fry in oil until tender and golden brown.

I fry my green tomatoes like Granny Vi except I salt mine and fry in vegetable oil.

Well, this is the way I do mine:

Wash tomatoes. Peel them. Cut into bite size wedges. Put in single layer on a plate and salt. Leave them for a few minutes to "sweat". Mix flour and cornmeal in a ziploc bag. Put wedges in bag and shake. Fry in oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and salt. The wedges keep the tomatoes from getting soggy like the slices tend to do.

This is a lot like everyone else has posted except cutting them in wedges. Do try the wedges. You'll love the way they turn out. We had them this way in a Southern restaurant in Georgia and have been making them that way ever since.

Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomato Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesJuly 6, 2010
Using Green Tomatoes
Using Green Tomatoes
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 11:21:58 AM on 10.0.0.76 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.