Susan: ThriftyFun Says Goodbye

It is with heavy hearts that we report the passing of Susan Sanders Kinzel, our founder and beloved mother, sister and friend. The illness was sudden and swift and she died on December 21st, 2008.

Here is a little bit about Sue from the obituary.

Sue died quietly at home on the evening of December 21st with her beloved children at her side. Sue loved the beach, her dogs and cats, Native American artwork and the planet. She loved coffee and popcorn and even co-authored a book with her son about roasting coffee at home. She loved to laugh until she cried. And she loved her family, the ones she grew up with, the ones she gave birth to and the ones that she adopted into her heart. Our sorrow is beyond words.

She was an entrepreneur at heart and ran art related businesses most of her life. Sue was a very creative person and an artist since her teens. She created works of art with beads, sewing and leatherwork. She also was a musician and songwriter. Sue was the founder, with her sons, of ThriftyFun.com, an online resource for frugal living and general advice about doing more with less. In the 10 years prior to her death, the website had grown to serve thousands of people per day across the internet and provide a livelihood for several people. Sue was the driving force and the inspiration for the website, having endured years of less than ideal living conditions.

We love her and miss her,

The Staff of ThriftyFun

Lewis, Fletcher, Jess, Sally, Laurel, Kezia, Stella and Mara.

Please don't say good-bye, as in forever, just, say "see you later, Susan."

It was through death that I found thriftyfun, and I feel like I have really found a true home, here.

In 2008, a dog we rescued, and nurtured every day, died, we cried and cried, and my husband told me he wanted another lapdog. After a couple of weeks, I started searching the internet, and found a reference to a dog on thriftyfun. That was my first experience with thriftyfun, and I joined, and have never left.

Then, Susan died. It may sound overly sentimental to some of you, but I truly believe that my rescue dogs death lead me to thriftyfun.

I'd been to chatrooms, like AOL, but they just weren't me. Thriftyfun is a place where I can grow. I can get advice, give advice, and discover things that I never even knew in my own imagination. I love the sharing community of thriftyfun.

To Susan, I won't say "good-bye," but I will say, "See you later...when my time comes, at least I hope so."

To Susan's Family, You have kept up thriftyfun remarkably well, even after losing Susan.

From my heart, a special prayer for all of you--"God Bless You Well."

P.S. I forgot to say that I love the photos you've posted of Susan. They are lively and vibrant, and I'm sure that while she is looking down on all of us, that is what she wants us to be, too.

It has been almost a year since dear Susan left us. I had exchanged a few emails with her but never had the pleasure of meeting her in person. I sensed such sweet, deep empathy from her; a kindness and gentleness that is rarely seen these days. I felt her absence daily and was somewhat reluctant to continue my daily visits to her site.

I reread her memorial this evening and felt the pain of her loss roll over me AGAIN surprisingly hard. My heart still isn't ready to let her go. My grief feels fresh and new; strange words to say about someone who I never shook hands with or smiled at, although I smiled at the words she wrote. I wonder if she knew the impact she had on so many of us! Well she is in a better place just waiting for us. In my Father's house are many mansions .... hope mine is next to hers!

Thanks so much for your wonderful kind words. Susan, in her quiet, compassionate way was always helping others; family, friends and acquaintances. ThriftyFun's success was a joy to her; that in helping others, she could support herself and others.

Sally

I printed this article when it appeared last year. I am one of those people who considered Susan a friend, though I never met her. She did so many sweet things for me. I have smiled into her beautiful face on my bulletin board every day for the past year, and still miss her in spite of the fact that you have all done such a wonderful job of taking over where she left off. She would be proud of you all. I shall never forget her.

Harlean from Arkansas

I remember posting a tip on the day we saw this. In the post, I actually thought and said "what would Susan do"? Then I read the news letter and was devastated. She and I would often chat on line about the kids and grand kids, and I was planning to go up and see her when I had time.

We always think we have so much time. I sure wish she had more time to spend with us, but from what I have read, she lived a good life with accomplishments, respect and love.

What more can any of us want?

Susan, you are truly missed.

Sandi/Poor But Proud

November 25, 2009 Flag

Answers:

Susan

I am sorry to hear of a medical crisis within the Thriftyfun family. Of course the priorities are there. You're all in my prayers. May God bless you, real good. (12/08/2008)

Susan

I'm sorry to read about Susan's illness. I hope she has a quick and smooth recovery. (12/08/2008)

By Kate

Susan

This site has helped me tremendously! My thoughts and prayers are with you Susan! God Bless!

Monica K. (12/08/2008)

By Monica K.

Susan

Please let Susan know that she will be in my thoughts and prayers daily. She (and her ThriftyFun) are an important and pleasant part of my daily routine. I wish her a speedy recovery. Prayers are the biggest and best help. If there are other things we can do in addition please keep us informed. We all know how expensive medical issues are. Perhaps we can all contribute to a fund to help with that. It would be small thanks for all the help and pleasure she has given us. If that is a possibility please post an address where we could mail our "love donations" for her. "Get Well Soon, Susan!" (12/08/2008)

By Grandma Margie

Susan

I will say a little prayer for her as I'm sure most of us who look at Thriftyfun will. God Bless! (12/08/2008)

By Carol

Susan

All our very best well wishes go out to you for a complete and speedy recovery. Hang in there and keep the faith. (12/08/2008)

By Bonnie V

Susan

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Wishing you a speedy recovery (12/08/2008)

By Sherri

Susan

Susan you are in my prayers. Get well soon

Gail (12/08/2008)

By GMILES7854

Susan

Susan, I'm sad to hear you're not doing well. We love you. (12/08/2008)

By Chad

Susan

God bless you, hope you feel better soon! Carole (12/08/2008)

Susan

I will, indeed, be in the "Amen Corner" for Susan. She is such a sweetie and so good at responding when needed. Thriftyfun is a family and one I'm so pleased to be a part of. God bless you, Susan, and get well soon, just don't rush. Take care of yourself first. We understand if there are delays in publishing. (12/08/2008)

By Luvyabye

Susan

My prayers are for you, Susan and your family. This site has helped me so much. (12/08/2008)

By Boookeesmom

Susan

I'm sorry to hear about the medical problems, I hope and pray that she gets better very soon! God Bless, Sue K and Family (12/08/2008)

By JSKA980405

Susan

My thoughts and prayers go out to Susan and her family! Take Care and be well soon!

From Nova Scotia Canada (12/08/2008)

By Sharon

Susan

I will definitely keep you in my prayers! God bless you and heal you quickly.

Heather (12/08/2008)

By kghsave

Susan

Dear Susan - So sorry to hear you are ill and in the hospital. May it be a healing place for you - and Get Well Soon. We miss you already -

pam munro (12/08/2008)

By pamphyila

Susan

Get well soon. You have done so much for others may it be returned to you tenfold. (12/08/2008)

By Pat.

Susan

Susan, I just said a prayer for you and By HIS stripes you are healed. (12/08/2008)

By Tammie

Susan

Susan, I'm SO sorry to hear about your illness. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers! Get well soon! (12/08/2008)

By Robin

Susan

Susan is just the sweetest person and her feeling better is the most important thing. I pray the Lords Healing Hand Is UpOn You. Julie
(12/08/2008)

By theseamstress

Susan

{{{Susan}}} people all over the world are praying for you! (12/08/2008)

By kladybug

Get Better Soon, Susan

You have a lot of people who worry about you and miss you ! Hope you're on the mend and back soon ! (12/08/2008)

By DorrieBelle

Susan

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Just take it easy and RECOVER! (12/08/2008)

By mom-from-missouri

Susan

Susan I am so sorry to hear you are ill. I hope you get better soon. we all miss you and love you
You are indeed a very special person and you have touched all of our lives greatly.
get well soon! (12/08/2008)

By imaqt1962

RE: Susan

Susan

It's so nice to see a face behind the name. Hope you have a quick recovery. Always enjoy what you do on here. (12/08/2008)

By LITTLE SUZY

Susan

So sorry to hear this! Please wish her well. (12/08/2008)

By

Susan

Susan, I hope you are feeling well soon!! you are in my thoughts and prayers!! what would we ever do without this site!1 thank you so much for starting it! i look everyday quite a few times!! get well soon! (12/08/2008)

By KimmyLynn

Susan

Oh, please tell Susan I am so sorry and I hope she gets better soon. She will be in my prayers. She is such a great and giving woman. May God be with her and bless her. (12/08/2008)

By sandyb125

Susan

I echo all the other thoughts and prayers, please recover quickly, we are family here thanks to you Susan, much love (12/08/2008)

By Mary

Susan

Even though I've never actually met Susan in person, I bet she's QUITE the wonderful gal and I wish her the best and pray for her speedy recovery. She's always answered my e-mail questions quickly and has posted my questions as soon as possible. I can tell she works super-hard because my ex-husband ran a board somewhat like this and it took up most if not ALL of his time. I bet she puts most of her energy into ThriftyFun and we all benefit from her hard work! Logging on to ThriftyFun is an important and a very pleasant part of my day. What would my day or my coffee-time be without it? Even though I don't get out much or have many friends, I feel I have loads of friends here on this site and this gives me great contentment. In fact, when I need an answer, (like today when my browser failed to boot or when my cat does something strange) I know I can count on the folks here on ThriftyFun to help me out with their suggestions and answers.

Thank You Susan for all you do! Cyinda

Susan, we wish you the best and we are ALL are praying for you! Get well soon!
(12/08/2008)

By Cyinda

Susan

Susan I'm very sorry to hear you are ill. I pray and pray you recover very soon. Thriftyfun will Not be thriftyfun without you. God Bless You. We Love You. Alice B. (12/08/2008)

By Alice B.

Susan

I will pray for her and her family. Best Wishes. (12/08/2008)

By CBLAISDELL

Susan

Susan, you have given of yourself to so many may all of us be praying for a quick recovery. Barb a thrifty fun junkie. Be home for Christmas. (12/08/2008)

By barbo

Susan

When my mom went through a health crisis the wonderful members of the ThriftyFun community gave so much encouragement and sent so many prayers and I know they will do the same for you. Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery. God bless. (12/08/2008)

By perfume and powder

Susan

Keeping her in my thoughts and wishing her well. (12/08/2008)

By TxSavr

Susan

Susan, I want you to know that I read ThriftyFun every day. It's a fantastic website! Thank you for all your hard work, and I hope you make a full recovery as soon as possible. Prayers being sent up for you! (12/08/2008)

By Therese

Susan

Susan, I am praying for you for a speedy recovery. May you find God's presence to be very real to you during this difficult time. (12/08/2008)

By gurth

Susan

Best wishes for Susan!
(12/09/2008)

By DearWebby

Susan

Although I live in the U.K. I'm an avid fan of all the ThriftyFun websites. I do try some of the recipes and tips out for myself, some with more success than others. I would like to wish Susan Sanders-Kinzel a very speedy recovery and hope she's soon back at ThriftyFun.

Jan U.K.
(12/09/2008)

Susan

Please tell Susan that I hope she gets better soon

Love from Barbara (12/09/2008)

Susan

Dear Susan,

You will definitely be in my prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

I so enjoy your "Thrifty Fun", I can't tell you how many tips I have used and passed on to others. You have done a remarkable job with this and I hope that you will be back in the driver's seat real soon.

Take care Susan.

Love,

Mary Lou (12/09/2008)

Susan

I have been away from thriftyfun for a few days and just discovered the message. As you can tell from previous posts you are a very important person, Susan. I'm praying for you and thinking of you. (12/09/2008)

By MartyD

Susan

Sorry to hear of your illness. You are in my prayers. (12/09/2008)

By

Susan

Get well soon Susan! (12/09/2008)

By msburny

Susan

^j^ ^j^ ^j^

Angels to look out for you Susan, and may they lead you back to us in good health, God Bless and Thank you.

Dede Smith Macon, Mo (12/09/2008)

By Dedeswrkshop

Susan

Feel better! You're in our thoughts- this website has become a part of my daily life. You're such a wonderful person for starting it, and helping bring so many of us together. We're all pulling for you. Lots of love. (12/09/2008)

By Beth - MA

Susan

Praying that you overcome this illness and are blessed with health and happiness! All the best! (12/09/2008)

By Lauren

Susan

Prayers being said through several prayer groups for you Susan.thriftyfun just isn't the same w/o you.
Get Well real soon.

Keeper and Friends (12/09/2008)

By keeper60

Susan

Dear Susan, I pray for the Doctor's to have wisdom to give you the best treatment and for God's hand to heal you from this serious illness. Thank you for setting up ThriftyFun as you have done an amazing big positive thing for people around the globe. God Bless. Pat. (12/09/2008)

By Pat Waddo

Susan

Sending best wishes to Susan from Ruth and girls UK (12/09/2008)

By ruth langdon

Susan

I hope you'll get better soon. I will pray for you. I also would like to thank you for Thriftyfun because it's really helped a lot of people out. It has, like with so many others, become part of my daily life.

Thank you so much.

Eva (12/09/2008)

By maliboo99

Susan

Susan, get well soon, and I love this website I come here at least once a week and I love all the info and tips on living frugally. You have started and maintained a wonderful lively vibrant online community and we all love you and pray for you to get well soon. Thank you! (12/09/2008)

By thriftyengineer

Susan

I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your medical crisis, Susan! I hope you'll be given the best treatment, so that you can feel better as soon as possible! (12/10/2008)

By WildIrish

Susan

My prayers are with you. This website is wonderful. I have learned so much from everyone on this site to help my way of living improve! God bless you for this site and may your health improve. God's will be done!
Kelly Caryville, Florida (12/10/2008)

By

Susan

This is not a tip, but I did not know how else to tell Susan how sorry I am to hear she is ill, and to tell her that my prayers, as I am sure are a lot of others, are with her and praying for a quick and speedy recovery. May God bless her.

By Betty from Warrensburg, Mo. (12/10/2008)

Susan

This is Cett from Malta, in Europe. I was so very sorry to hear that Susan is very ill in hospital and even though I'm thousands of miles away in another country, please pass my best wishes to her and tell her that she is not far from my thoughts and my prayers. God bless you all, especially Susan.

cett (12/10/2008)

By Sappie

Susan

Susan we received your message this morning that you were sick and in the hospital. Just wanted to let your know we are praying for you. Our prayers are for your speedy recovery and be able to get back to work as soon as possible. You do a great job with your website. We appreciate your serve. May God Bless, Connie H (12/10/2008)

Susan

Hope you are on the road to recovery and you will be up and at it in no time.

Elaine (12/10/2008)

Get Better Soon

We in Central FL are praying for you! (12/10/2008)

By Sandy

Susan

Get well Susan--from a loyal thrifty fun reader :)

Pat
(12/10/2008)

Susan

God bless you, you wonderful woman! Thank you for all you have done and may you have a speedy recovery! (12/10/2008)

By

Susan

Praying for you to be healthy, peaceful, and patient. May God give you and your family comfort and rest. (12/10/2008)

By Leslie

Susan

I will send Susan some positive energy, hoping she will get better! Peace and bright blessings! (12/10/2008)

By freya1970

Prospect, KY

Susan, I am praying for a speedy recovery and that is is nothing serious. God Bless you and comfort you during this difficult time
(12/10/2008)

By Diana

Susan

So sorry to hear of Susan's illness. She is in our thoughts and prayers. Bless you and your family. Get well soon... (12/10/2008)

By Cindy in Texas

Susan

Susan, although I do not know you personally, you are still my sister on this earth and for that reason I pray healing and recovery for you in whatever area you need. I can't thank you enough for 'Thriftyfun'. I am so greatful for the Thriftyfun family. Bless you susan. You have inspired many and blessed us all. Be blessed in return sis and be well soon. With love from Long Island, Gloria <>< (12/10/2008)

By SendRoses

Susan

Sorry to hear of Susan's illness. I pray she is on the road to recovery soon. (12/10/2008)

By knitwit

Susan

Please tell Susan our best wishes for a speedy recovery. Her favorite medicine is on route via air parcel.

DearWebby and staff at Webby.com (12/10/2008)

By DearWebby

Susan

I am still praying for Susan and sure hope and pray for a healthful season and year for her.

I want to thank you for your website. It is the best I've seen and helps so many.

God bless all of you staff as you have picked up for Susan and done a wonderful job. I know she is thankful for you.

Blessings, Betty
(12/22/2008)

Susan Sanders-Kinzel, the founder of ThriftyFun.com
ThriftyFun's Founder's Day
NewsDecember 31, 2008
Lazy Susan
Using a Lazy Susan
A stick of hard butter.
Softening Cold Butter
Lipstick
Removing Lipstick Stains on Fabric
Lazy Susan with Marbles Teaser
Making a Lazy Susan with Marbles
🎉
🎄