Browsing: Recycling Prescription Bottles

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Recycling Prescription Bottles

If you or a family member takes medication on a regular basis, empty prescription bottles can add up quickly. Make sure they don't end up in the landfill by recycling the bottles. This is a guide about recycling prescription bottles.

Recycling Prescription Bottles, Prescription Bottles on White Background
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 3, 2012 Flag

Pharmacies are not allowed to reuse the bottles. Give them to the ASPCA, your vet or any free clinic in your area.

By Cisco's Mom from FL

May 16, 2014 Flag

Does anyone recycle prescription bottles and how do you do it?

By Jim D

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you referring to throwing them out or crafting/using them for another purpose? If you are referring to throwing them out then I would assume they go into recycling, use a black sharpie to cover all the information. and make sure they are empty, don't want strays eating them. If your referring to reusing them for something else you should be able to find some neat craft/uses online for them.

One idea I think is pretty neat is cleaning them well, making your own funny prescription label on the bottles and give them as gifts, you can put small items in it like M&M's etc :)

In my area of Ohio there is a Humanitarian Organization that takes donations and disperses them to those in need in other countries as well as the USA. They accept prescription bottles of which can be used in other countries.

Can you tell me where to send these bottles? We were sending them to a Malawi project but they have stop excepting them for right now because they have over a million bottles sent to them that they have to ship out over seas. They said it is going to take 4 trailers and $60,000 to ship them out. So we are looking to send them to anyone else that is taking them. Thanks Norma

Most recycle centers only take #1 & #2...prescription bottles are #5

Read More Answers...

February 2, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know of missionary projects that are in need of used pill (medicine) bottles? Had heard that the Methodist Missionary project used them at one time. I would like to get a project started through my church if possible. If not, I have several to donate on my own.

By Marsha from Eskridge, KS

The American Foundation for Children with AIDS (www.AFCAids.org) is looking for empty, clean prescription bottles. If anyone has any, please send to:

AFCA

6221 Blue Grass Avenue

Harrisburg, PA 17112

thank you!

tanya

I get different sizes of prescription bottles and ask for the non child proof tops and when empty i use them to mix paints, divide kinds of buttons, small nails, small screws, seeds, dried herbs for teas (these I put in the door of the freezer) and all small objects I usually will misplace goes into a bottle and then placed in the room or place where I store the things that go with it. Even my router bits are kept safe in a large bottle or 2 because the South has lots of moisture and keeping it out is a chore in itself. Happy bottling and you can burn them too.

do you still want clean prescription bottles? Please let me know, I have several dozen to get rid of!

Do you still want empty prescription bottles? Please let me know - I have several dozen to dispose of.

Read More Answers...

September 27, 2011 Flag

Any thoughts on recycling pill bottles in the Buffalo, NY area?

By Sharon

Only way safe to recycle pill bottles is call around, the city should tell you if a local hospital or clinic takes these.I use my pharmacy they take them Good for you, not throwing them out. Here we have a 211 number that tells us everything,I'm not sure what they have there. Worth looking into seeing if there is a number, it's the same one for housing, clinics, electric companies etc. If not call the local hospital, just know if they say "throw it away" they are lying, not wanting to be bothered, go on to the next one.Have a great day!

I just now hit the link that took me to 2/2/2010 and there are many great ideas if you would want to help a Missionary group, one is children with AIDS, it also said CVS now takes them. You may want to look. God bless, I hope I helped a little.

I use them for a great deal of things like quarters for laundry/parking/sodas in the car, q-tips, hair pins, toothpicks, buttons, beads, and more.

However, if you are not a crafter or don't need them, donate them to the local assisted living center or day care center. They will find uses for them that we might not even think of...including meds.

Hope this helps.

My mom recently gave me a bunch, and I put them to work in my sewing/crafts room. I put needles, bobbins, beads, plastic rings, wiggly eyes, etc. in mine. Was thinking about watching for an old spice rack at the thrift store to put them on.

July 8, 2014 Flag

Where in Toledo, Ohio can I recycle prescription bottles for missions?

By Carol M

I don't know what you mean by 'missions', but I donate my bottles to our local veterinarian. They have to dispense meds for the animals and can use them - best call and ask beforehand though.

August 23, 2011 Flag

Where can I recycle medication bottles? I live near Palm Springs, California.

By Debbie

I live in San Diego and had same problem but mine had some medication left in them.i called our local 211 who directed me to call a pharmacy.I called Walgreen's I was told to destroy all medication ,do not put in trash(people get in there) don't put in water supply either.You can turn bottles and meds not uses or just empty pill bottles to them.They dispose of meds the right way and recycle the bottles.Good luck, Luana McDonald make sure you take off labels and throw away before taking them in.You can also call the hospital and they have "toxic waste" for medication and I'm sure same as pharmacy.God bless!

I use the old pill bottles for beads, sequins and other craft projects, they are great little containers and make my craft room a much neater place.

Try contacting some of vet offices near your home. They can't be reused for people medicine, but vets can use them. My vet is very grateful for the bottles I bring them.

February 2, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know if pharmacies will recycle your empty pill bottles? I take 9 medications every month, 6 of which come in the pharmacy bottles.

March 9, 2009 Flag

Any place to recycle prescription bottles. I can't stand to put them in the trash and then to the landfill, but no one in our area will take them.

Better Living Green Living Recycling PlasticOctober 19, 2011
pill bottle hide a key
Uses for Prescription Bottles
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
Old woman holding prescription drug bottles.
Prescription Drugs Tips for Seniors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 1:14:11 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.