Recycling Prescription Bottles

If you or a family member takes medication on a regular basis, empty prescription bottles can add up quickly. Make sure they don't end up in the landfill by recycling the bottles. This is a guide about recycling prescription bottles.

July 3, 2012 Flag

Pharmacies are not allowed to reuse the bottles. Give them to the ASPCA, your vet or any free clinic in your area.

By Cisco's Mom from FL

Some shelters for the needy use them also. I have seen them fill them up with shampoo, soap, lotion and stuff to give those in need. There's lots of uses for them!

May 16, 2014 Flag

Does anyone recycle prescription bottles and how do you do it?

By Jim D

In my area of Ohio there is a Humanitarian Organization that takes donations and disperses them to those in need in other countries as well as the USA. They accept prescription bottles of which can be used in other countries.

Can you tell me where to send these bottles? We were sending them to a Malawi project but they have stop excepting them for right now because they have over a million bottles sent to them that they have to ship out over seas. They said it is going to take 4 trailers and $60,000 to ship them out. So we are looking to send them to anyone else that is taking them. Thanks Norma

Most recycle centers only take #1 & #2...prescription bottles are #5

For everyone asking about donating the pill bottles, please contact your local veterinary hospitals, if they dont want them ,then start checking with your local free clinics or social welfare clinics that have in house pharmacies. Those types of places usually welcome donations due to the fact that it is expensive to purchase the pill bottles new, and they prefer to spend their budget on making sure they have the meds to give to their patients. If you live in a small town that doesnt have those types of facilities try the larger cities near you. Or if thats too much trouble, you can send them to me and I will donate them to my local Social Welfare Clinic as they always need the containers for both the Welfare Clinic and the Homeless Outreach Clinic. If inclined my address is:

Marc Salisbury

2314 Olive

St. Joseph, MO

64507-1509

February 2, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know of missionary projects that are in need of used pill (medicine) bottles? Had heard that the Methodist Missionary project used them at one time. I would like to get a project started through my church if possible. If not, I have several to donate on my own.

By Marsha from Eskridge, KS

We are looking for empty prescription bottles for a missionary project in the congo. You can mail them to our church; Presbyterian Church of Glenview, 3030 Central St, Glenview, IL 60025. Pass the word. Thank you.

The American Foundation for Children with AIDS (www.AFCAids.org) is looking for empty, clean prescription bottles. If anyone has any, please send to:

AFCA

6221 Blue Grass Avenue

Harrisburg, PA 17112

thank you!

tanya

I get different sizes of prescription bottles and ask for the non child proof tops and when empty i use them to mix paints, divide kinds of buttons, small nails, small screws, seeds, dried herbs for teas (these I put in the door of the freezer) and all small objects I usually will misplace goes into a bottle and then placed in the room or place where I store the things that go with it. Even my router bits are kept safe in a large bottle or 2 because the South has lots of moisture and keeping it out is a chore in itself. Happy bottling and you can burn them too.

do you still want clean prescription bottles? Please let me know, I have several dozen to get rid of!

September 27, 2011 Flag

Any thoughts on recycling pill bottles in the Buffalo, NY area?

By Sharon

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Only way safe to recycle pill bottles is call around, the city should tell you if a local hospital or clinic takes these.I use my pharmacy they take them Good for you, not throwing them out. Here we have a 211 number that tells us everything,I'm not sure what they have there. Worth looking into seeing if there is a number, it's the same one for housing, clinics, electric companies etc. If not call the local hospital, just know if they say "throw it away" they are lying, not wanting to be bothered, go on to the next one.Have a great day!

I just now hit the link that took me to 2/2/2010 and there are many great ideas if you would want to help a Missionary group, one is children with AIDS, it also said CVS now takes them. You may want to look. God bless, I hope I helped a little.

I use them for a great deal of things like quarters for laundry/parking/sodas in the car, q-tips, hair pins, toothpicks, buttons, beads, and more.

However, if you are not a crafter or don't need them, donate them to the local assisted living center or day care center. They will find uses for them that we might not even think of...including meds.

Hope this helps.

My mom recently gave me a bunch, and I put them to work in my sewing/crafts room. I put needles, bobbins, beads, plastic rings, wiggly eyes, etc. in mine. Was thinking about watching for an old spice rack at the thrift store to put them on.

August 23, 2011 Flag

Where can I recycle medication bottles? I live near Palm Springs, California.

By Debbie

I live in San Diego and had same problem but mine had some medication left in them.i called our local 211 who directed me to call a pharmacy.I called Walgreen's I was told to destroy all medication ,do not put in trash(people get in there) don't put in water supply either.You can turn bottles and meds not uses or just empty pill bottles to them.They dispose of meds the right way and recycle the bottles.Good luck, Luana McDonald make sure you take off labels and throw away before taking them in.You can also call the hospital and they have "toxic waste" for medication and I'm sure same as pharmacy.God bless!

I use the old pill bottles for beads, sequins and other craft projects, they are great little containers and make my craft room a much neater place.

Try contacting some of vet offices near your home. They can't be reused for people medicine, but vets can use them. My vet is very grateful for the bottles I bring them.

July 8, 2014 Flag

Where in Toledo, Ohio can I recycle prescription bottles for missions?

By Carol M

I don't know what you mean by 'missions', but I donate my bottles to our local veterinarian. They have to dispense meds for the animals and can use them - best call and ask beforehand though.

February 2, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know if pharmacies will recycle your empty pill bottles? I take 9 medications every month, 6 of which come in the pharmacy bottles. I don't want to throw them away as I know they can be reused.

I do use some for storing beads. I have used them for storage, when I have mixed acrylic paints and only have small amounts left. I pour the paint into the appropriate sized bottle and smear a little of the paint on the top of the lid so I know what color is inside. But I was just wondering about pharmacies recycling them. Does anybody know?

Sheila from Decatur, IL

Answers:

Places to Recycle Prescription Bottles

Have you tried having your pharmacy dispense your meds in paper envelopes? That way you are in effect "refilling" your own prescription bottles.

Note: How to Dispose of Meds: Please "do not" put down garbage disposal. You contaminate the water ways by doing that and those drugs end up in all kinds on unintended places and bodies. Old prescription meds and vitamins and OTC drugs are considered hazardous waste and should be disposed of at Hazardous Waste collection places. (03/09/2009)

By akosei

Places to Recycle Prescription Bottles

You could donate them to a free clinic with a pharmacy. You would need to remove the labels and clean them inside and out thanks. (03/10/2009)

By wvrdnkwmn

Places to Recycle Prescription Bottles

A new use I found for a few is to dispose of the lid and just use the bottle to store small items in the medicine cabinet. I keep toenail and nail clippers in one and a Burt's Bees lip gloss and a Chapstick in another. They stand up nicely and keep those items from falling off the shelf. You can just grab the little prescription bottle to get what you need.

I still end up with more empty prescription bottles than we can utilize for our own use so I occasionally take a bag of them over to the local animal hospital. They are most appreciative to get them as they have to buy them for dispensing pet meds. (03/10/2009)

By Debbie52

Places to Recycle Prescription Bottles

If you take them in when you need a refill, the pharmacist can use your own bottles for your own new refills.

I have used a multitude of ideas from crafts, sewing, change for the car, skewers, nuts, and bolts. When I have broken something sharp I put it in one before sending to the garbage. Anything small you open can be put into a script bottle. Vitamins, etc. come in recyclable bottles, check the bottom.
I also use my 6" tall script bottles for vitamins that don't have child proof caps, they are dark in color and also can be labeled to be high out of the reach of kids. (03/10/2009)

By TandT Grandma

Places to Recycle Prescription Bottles

Take them to your vets, but ask first. That is what I do, as well as many people here in my small town. (03/10/2009)

By islandsage

Places to Recycle Prescription Bottles

I use them to store small screws, tacks, and such. My grand daughter loves to pretend she is cooking so we made her a spice collection for her play kitchen. I use one to carry my spare change in.

Debbie (03/10/2009)

By dcsprsmm

Places to Recycle Prescription Bottles

Hi Sheila, I saw that you are from Indiana, I found a place through earth911. I have a Whole Foods store nearby, their recycling machines will take medicine bottles, I see there are stores in IN. I don't know if you are nearby one. The site is earth911.com it should be able to tell you nearby places by zip code. You would be looking for recycle plastic #5 . Good Luck and Thank you for your post.

Lizz (03/21/2009)

By lizz50

RE: Places to Recycle Prescription Bottles

March 9, 2009 Flag

Any place to recycle prescription bottles. I can't stand to put them in the trash and then to the landfill, but no one in our area will take them.

Better Living Green Living Recycling PlasticOctober 19, 2011
pill bottle hide a key
Uses for Prescription Bottles
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
Old woman holding prescription drug bottles.
Prescription Drugs Tips for Seniors
🎄