Recycling Prescription Bottles

Does anyone recycle prescription bottles and how do you do it?

By Jim D

I use these bottles for crafting supplies, sewing supplies, garden seeds (be sure dried out-will mold if not) and I have donated to our local veterinarian. Ask first though.

They cannot be reused for human medicine, but vets can use them for animal prescriptions. My vet even gives me a discount off my bill for bringing the bottles in for them.
I also saw on this site once that a prescription bottle is the perfect size for $10 in quarters. I use this when I have to go to the laundromat to wash large bedding items.

As long as they properly sanitize them , there is no law preventing them from reusing them for human meds. Lots of places do it. Have you ever had a prescription drug take back program in your town? If so ask them what they do with the bottles when they empty the meds out of them.

In my city they take the drugs, strip the labels and donate all bottles to the Social Welfare Clinic, who then sanitizes them and dispenses meds in them to the poor and homeless.

Are you referring to throwing them out or crafting/using them for another purpose? If you are referring to throwing them out then I would assume they go into recycling, use a black sharpie to cover all the information. and make sure they are empty, don't want strays eating them. If your referring to reusing them for something else you should be able to find some neat craft/uses online for them.

One idea I think is pretty neat is cleaning them well, making your own funny prescription label on the bottles and give them as gifts, you can put small items in it like M&M's etc :)

Anonymous

Most recycle centers only take #1 & #2...prescription bottles are #5

Anonymous

This idea might not be wise for younger children because we know it isn't medicine inside that bottle and they may know it too, but if they see something similar they may think it is alright to eat, when it could be something that could kill them. I would rather be on the safe side !!

I don't think putting candy in a prescription bottle is a good idea. Don't want kids equating pills with candy.

In my area of Ohio there is a Humanitarian Organization that takes donations and disperses them to those in need in other countries as well as the USA. They accept prescription bottles of which can be used in other countries.

Anonymous

Can you tell me where to send these bottles? We were sending them to a Malawi project but they have stop excepting them for right now because they have over a million bottles sent to them that they have to ship out over seas.

They said it is going to take 4 trailers and $60,000 to ship them out. So we are looking to send them to anyone else that is taking them. Thanks Norma

Norma, This program has been discontinued after we received over 3 million pill containers.

For everyone asking about donating the pill bottles, please contact your local veterinary hospitals, if they dont want them ,then start checking with your local free clinics or social welfare clinics that have in house pharmacies. Those types of places usually welcome donations due to the fact that it is expensive to purchase the pill bottles new, and they prefer to spend their budget on making sure they have the meds to give to their patients.

If you live in a small town that doesnt have those types of facilities try the larger cities near you. Or if thats too much trouble, you can send them to me and I will donate them to my local Social Welfare Clinic as they always need the containers for both the Welfare Clinic and the Homeless Outreach Clinic. If inclined my address is:

Marc Salisbury
2314 Olive
St. Joseph, MO
64507-1509

Are you still collecting the bottles? I would love to send them to you.

Are you still collecting used pill bottles?