Amish Oatmeal Cake

For a simple healthy dessert, this Amish Oatmeal Cake cannot be beat. It was a childhood favorite.

• 1 3/4 cups leftover breakfast oatmeal made from regular oatmeal (not instant or quick)
  • Ad
  • 2/3 cup dark or golden raisins
  • 3/4 cup boiling water

Place raisins in a small bowl and pour boiling water over them. Stir well and cover. Allow raisins to sit for about 10 minutes. Add the cooked oatmeal, Stir and recover and allow to sit for an additional 10 minutes.

Into a medium bowl, sift the following and set aside:

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

In a large bowl, cream:

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar

Add and beat well:

• 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add the cooled oatmeal mixture and beat again until mixture is well mixed. Fold in flour mixture and mix well. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13x9 inch pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched lightly with your fingers.

We do not put a frosting on this cake, but you may if you like. We often ate it for breakfast on weekends when I was a child. It's just a very simple good-flavored healthy cake. Enjoy.

By Julia from Orlando, FL

Add 3 or 4 mashed ripe bananas and it is even better.

Julia, this is a winner! With the raisins and dark brown sugar (I just add some molasses with the sugar) it sounds so delicious! And yarnlady, the bananas sound real good too. This cake could be very versatile, spices could be added, or chopped peaches, coconut...but I am trying it with no changes first.

I just had to say a little more. I am glad you didn't frost it, since this sounds just right all on it's own. I would love it for breakfast. And I am thinking of it with fresh fruit over the top for breakfast, what a fine meal!

Oatmeal Swiss Roll Cake
Oatmeal Cake Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CakesApril 4, 2007
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
White Bread
Amish White Bread Recipes