Uses for Branches and Logs

With many people pruning at this time of year I thought I'd come up with some useful things to do with the pruned twigs and branches. Today a neighbor gave me several large bundles of long supple apple tree branches.(3 - 6 feet long and about 3/4 inch thick).

Being a crafter, I couldn't resist them! I have several ideas for them: I'm weaving them through my chain-link gate in a vertical pattern. It not only adds privacy, it looks great! Another idea I had was to make a trellis by tying brown nylon rope around the thicker branches to form "squares".

I've also decided to make twig-covered vases with them. I will start with clear straight-sided drinking glasses from the dollar store then glue the twigs to the outside of the glass with clear E-6000 glue then wrap raffia around the top and bottom then tie a knot or bow. The neighbor who gave them to me says he uses the apple-wood branches for barbecuing with.

I've also thought these green branches would make wonderful doll furniture and if they are supple enough, maybe a wreath? They need to be stored in the shade or they will dry out. It's also a good idea to hose them down once in a while to keep them supple if you want to bend them. Any other ideas?

By Cyinda

I've made a faerie chair and a star from twigs.

I made a sample twig vase (like described above) yesterday only I substituted the glass with a clear plastic watter bottle & it turned out pretty darn nice if I do say so myself. Also, it's a nice way to keep those empty plastic water bottles out of the landfill! I learned several tips while making the twig covered vase: Use a pair of old scissors to cut the top of the bottle neatly off... & put 2 or 3 rubberbands around the bottle or glass before starting then tuck the twigs into the rubberbands & lastly cover the rubberbands with natural colored raffia or jute rope then tie with several little knots or bows. When you add flowers or a houseplant, let me tell you, it looks pretty darn classy! As I stated above, use a silicone based clear glue like E-6000 because hot glue won't work.

Crafts Using Tree Branches
Crafts Using Tree Branches
Home and Garden Gardening PruningApril 15, 2009
A wood stove with firelogs in it.
Using Fire Logs
Eucalyptus Branch
Preserving Eucalyptus Branches
Fake Logs
Making Fake Logs
Applying Mod Podge to bat wing.
Halloween Bat Branches