Removing Pet Hair from Furniture

Pet hair can be quite a nuisance and can be difficult to remove from fabric or microfiber couches, chairs, and other furniture. This is a guide about removing pet hair from furniture.

May 10, 2010 Flag

Removing pet hair from any cloth surface is easy if you use a damp washcloth. Wipe cushions or clothing in one direction only and the hair will lift off. You can also try a damp sponge mop to remove pet hair from your carpets. Again wipe in one direction only and the hair will just pile up and can be easily picked up by hand.

Source: Dog Fancy Magazine

By Teri from Tionesta, PA

Yes Teri! I discovered this by accident back always. I've got a chair with a velour-type cushion our long-haired manx has taken a liking to, and just a simple pass or two with a damp cloth of any kind can make all the difference! If I let it go too long between "swipes" I just go over it a little more. Slightly damp works fine--cloth or sponge or even paper towel will collect the hair in one spot and I must say picking up the hair after it's been dampened even a little is much easier than trying to catch all the flying dry hairs!

July 9, 2013 Flag

A rubber window washing squeegee attached to a long pole is an excellent way to pull pet hair from carpets. I have two in different widths. The narrow one does stair treads and can be used to reach confined spaces, the wide one makes short work of the open areas. I've a third one for furniture.

Source: My brilliant husband!

I just tried this on a tiny space on my carpet. (I vacuumed it yesterday, and I can't believe how much hair I got out of my carpet. I didn't do the whole thing yet, but I just experimented to see if it works, and it did a fantastic job. I have one dog, and she sheds like crazy (glad she's the only one I have, with all that hair I got up). Weezy

May 26, 2008 Flag

To remove pet hair, use a plastic gloves from the dollar store, 10 pair for $1.00. Place one glove on your hand. Sweep the area with the glove. Hair will all ball up and be easy to pick up. Reuse the glove as many times as you need to.

October 6, 2008 Flag

To remove cat hair from your furniture, take a damp sponge and brush it one way across the fabric. It helps ball up the hair and you can pick it off the sponge.

October 7, 2011 Flag

A dry sponge, such as those designed for kitchen use or for washing a car, is an excellent magnet for pet hair on upholstered furniture. Just rub the sponge across the furniture and pet hair clings to it like magic.

July 14, 2009 Flag

How do I get dog hair off furniture?

By jsclgreen from CA

As keeper60 said "...and she uses a rubber glove. Put it on, rub in different directions and viola! instant fur remover." Works like a charm. I use regular old bright yellow cleaning gloves.

I use the sticky roller and it works really well, but, if the rubber glove works, it would be much cheaper! Hope you get it cleaned up and God bless you.

September 30, 2011 Flag

I was mopping my wood floors one day and discovered this tip by accident. When I was through mopping, I noticed excess hair on the sofa and edges of the couch.

September 30, 2007 Flag

How do I remove cat hair that is deeply embedded throughout a couch, in the seams & everywhere. The couch is high grade aniline Leather. I bought the set at a garage sale. It had been stored/uncovered in a barn for a year. It looks great, but there is cat hair everywhere and my vacuum isn't getting it all. It's really sticking to the cloth sections that connect the seat and back cushions together (cushions are NOT removable). Help! I can't bear to bring it into the house unless it's hairless & odorless too!

Cristy from Molalla, OR

I use a rubber sponge made specifically for this purpose too. I have 4 cats and use rubber dish washing gloves to clean my sofa and chairs. The hair rolls up fairly well and I just keep rubbing till its all off. Good Luck!

One word: duct tape. Cut strips of duct tape and lay the sticky side down on the material, pushing the page gently with your fingers. Pull off and voila! On to the next strip...This works great when company is coming.

October 26, 2011 Flag

What is the best way to get dog and cat hair off of my clothes, the furniture, etc.?

By Susan P.

Wide masking tape or duct tape. Roll around your fingers and dab your clothes.

Use a link roller! Works like a dream.

May 16, 2012 Flag

Use 2 inch duct tape or masking tape. Either wrap the tape backwards around your hand or lay out a strip 6 to 12 inches and place on what area you want to remove the hair.

May 19, 2011 Flag

My new rescue terrier is shedding; how do I clean wood floors? When the afternoon sun comes it, it is just awful. I have tried the vacuum and a Swiffer. What else is available?

By J H M

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried an old fashioned cloth mop, it was called a dust mop in my day, I have three cats in a house with no carpet, I just sweep the floors daily with an anti-static broom, seems to pick it up no problem. If the dog is shedding that badly you might have to have him/her clipped at the groomers.

Just think if you had carpet you would never notice this. I have the same problem with my wood floor. I sweep or vac up the hair every day. I also use a wide anti static mircofiber flip mop which works very well. The cloth is machine washable and reuseable. There are several different brands on the market. Mine is O'Ceder.

It is just something that dogs do. Some shed more than others. There will always be some hair. I love my dogs so I don't find cleaning up the hair an inconvenience.

July 29, 2013 Flag

Vacuum each section thoroughly to remove as much of the loose pet hair and dander as possible. Simply attach the upholstery attachment and suction the hair from the surface. This also helps to remove the pet dander that falls off with the fur.

October 7, 2009 Flag

To remove pet hair from all upholstery try a stiff scrub brush. The brush picks up the fur, remove it from brush and go again. A lot cheaper than anything else I've ever used.

November 2, 2011 Flag

We bought a royal blue couch at a thrift store, and it seems to be made of wool or some similar fabric. The problem is that I have two dogs and a cat, and the pet hair on that solid color is very noticeable...

September 15, 2010 Flag

We've all had problems with the hateful cat hair spread all over the house especially at sofas, chairs and pillows. And it's hard to eliminate them!

A little bit by accident, I found a good way to eliminate them without great effort and very effectively. And just going to need one tool: latex gloves.

Just put on some latex gloves and pass your hand over the surface that has the cat's hair. This will form a "ball" helping the removal process and making it easier and faster.

By Orquidea from Porto, Portugal

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureOctober 15, 2011
A dog sitting on a couch.
Reducing Pet Hair in Your Home
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄