Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Pet Hair from Furniture

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Dog sleeping on a couch.

Pet hair can be quite a nuisance and can be difficult to remove from fabric or microfiber couches, chairs, and other furniture. This is a guide about removing pet hair from furniture.

Solutions: Removing Pet Hair from Furniture

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Remove Pet Hair with Washcloth

Removing pet hair from any cloth surface is easy if you use a damp washcloth. Wipe cushions or clothing in one direction only and the hair will lift off. You can also try a damp sponge mop to remove pet hair from your carpets. Again wipe in one direction only and the hair will just pile up and can be easily picked up by hand.

Source: Dog Fancy Magazine

By Teri from Tionesta, PA

Tip: Use Squeegee for Removing Pet Hair from Carpet

A rubber window washing squeegee attached to a long pole is an excellent way to pull pet hair from carpets. I have two in different widths. The narrow one does stair treads and can be used to reach confined spaces, the wide one makes short work of the open areas. I've a third one for furniture.

Source: My brilliant husband!

By

Tip: Removing Pet Hair with Dishwashing Gloves

To remove pet hair, use a plastic gloves from the dollar store, 10 pair for $1.00. Place one glove on your hand. Sweep the area with the glove. Hair will all ball up and be easy to pick up. Reuse the glove as many times as you need to. I have 5 cats and one Chihuahua. It works great!

Source: I got this tip from Martha Stewart.

By Tamsy from TX

Tip: Remove Pet Hair with Dry Sponge

A dry sponge, such as those designed for kitchen use or for washing a car, is an excellent magnet for pet hair on upholstered furniture. Just rub the sponge across the furniture and pet hair clings to it like magic. All you have to do is wipe the hair off of the sponge and store the sponge with your cleaning supplies. One sponge will last a very long time. Keep the sponge easily accessible for a quick cleaning when unexpected company arrives.

By VeronicaHB from Asheboro, NC

Tip: Removing Pet Hair from Clothes and Upholstery

Use 2 inch duct tape or masking tape. Either wrap the tape backwards around your hand or lay out a strip 6 to 12 inches and place on what area you want to remove the hair. After a few strip removals, replace the tape when it won't pick up any more.

By Tommy from Dudley, MA

Tip: Use A Damp Mop To Remove Pet Hair

I was mopping my wood floors one day and discovered this tip by accident. When I was through mopping, I noticed excess hair on the sofa and edges of the couch. I grabbed my somewhat damp mop (I mean very lightly damp) and took it across all of the fabric, seat cushions, corners, and back of the couch were the cats seem to fit.

To my amazement, it took the hair right off. It can save a lot of expense from using the pet hair rollers especially made for this use. Just use your hands for easy hair removal from the sponge. Discard in the trash can. Happy cleaning!

By Kathy from Harrisonburg, VA

Tip: Vacuums for Quick and Easy Hair Removal

Vacuum each section thoroughly to remove as much of the loose pet hair and dander as possible. Simply attach the upholstery attachment and suction the hair from the surface. This also helps to remove the pet dander that falls off with the fur. If there are individuals with allergies in the house, use a vacuum with a good filter to avoid irritation.

By

Tip: Scrub Brush to Remove Pet Hair from Upholstery

To remove pet hair from all upholstery try a stiff scrub brush. The brush picks up the fur, remove it from brush and go again. A lot cheaper than anything else I've ever used.

By FL.gal

Tip: Removing Cat Hair from Furniture

To remove cat hair from your furniture, take a damp sponge and brush it one way across the fabric. It helps ball up the hair and you can pick it off the sponge.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Pet Hair from Furniture.

Question: Cleaning Pet Hair Off a Wool Couch

We bought a royal blue couch at a thrift store, and it seems to be made of wool or some similar fabric. The problem is that I have two dogs and a cat, and the pet hair on that solid color is very noticeable (our previous couch was leather, and I didn't have to do anything to keep dog hair off of it).

I am looking for tips on how to keep this couch looking good. I have tried the the pet hair lint roller thingies, but I go through so many of those sticky sheets per day and still don't seem to get all the hair off. I feel like I need to do something else to get the majority of the pet hair off and then maybe finish off the job with a pet hair/lint roller. I also tried a wet sponge, which was great at getting the pet hair off, but small pieces of the sponge were being left on the couch, which I then had to try to remove. It just seems that there's got to be a better way than what I am doing. Got any suggestions?

By Tina

Most Recent Answer

By Linda [1]11/03/2011

What works for me is a rubber glove. Simply put the glove on your hand and brush the hair off the couch. We only have one short-haired dog, and it works great for us. Hope it works for you, too!

Question: Pet Hair Removal

What is the best way to get dog and cat hair off of my clothes, the furniture, etc.?

By Susan P.

Most Recent Answer

By earthhat [1]10/26/2011

Put on a rubber glove, slightly damp works great.

Question: Cleaning Dog Hair Off Wood Floors

My new rescue terrier is shedding; how do I clean wood floors? When the afternoon sun comes it, it is just awful. I have tried the vacuum and a Swiffer. What else is available?

By J H M

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [19]05/26/2011

Make sure to brush your dog every day, this will help. Also, animals tend to shed more in the Spring. Hopefully it won't be so bad when Summer arrives.

Question: Remove Pet Hair From Furniture

How do I get dog hair off furniture?

By jsclgreen from CA

Most Recent Answer

By Beth [25]07/17/2009

It also depends upon the type of fabric you have. Something with a weave is harder to get hair off of because the hairs always seem to get woven in. Smooth fabrc like quality microfiber or non-woven types like velour respond to the methods mentioned by other posts.

Question: Removing Cat Hair Embedded in Couch

How do I remove cat hair that is deeply embedded throughout a couch, in the seams & everywhere. The couch is high grade aniline Leather. I bought the set at a garage sale. It had been stored/uncovered in a barn for a year. It looks great, but there is cat hair everywhere and my vacuum isn't getting it all. It's really sticking to the cloth sections that connect the seat and back cushions together (cushions are NOT removable). Help! I can't bear to bring it into the house unless it's hairless & odorless too!

Cristy from Molalla, OR

Most Recent Answer

By alan julier [3]02/16/2009

I use an atachment that fits onto a vacuum cleaner pipe. Its called "Seathog" does the job fine.
Hope this helps!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Dog Hair From Furniture and Carpet

I have a question for anyone who deals with pet hair stuck to the furniture/carpets. How do you pick it up? I have tried the sticky rollers with no luck, I have tried a brush on the carpet and no matter how much I pick up, there are still a lot of hair... EVERYWHERE. I have a 6 month old who will be crawling shortly and I am afraid that she will get hair in her mouth. Not to mention, it's embarrassing when you have company and they get up to leave and all you can see is your dogs hair all over the back of their clothes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Angela from Michigan

RE: Cleaning Dog Hair From Furniture and Carpet

Several points... (1) Ensure you groom the pets regularly as this will reduce the amount of loose hair that falls out. (2) Have loose covers or throws on your chairs and sofas - these can be whipped off when visitors arrive, and can be laundered frequently too. (3) A powerful vacuum cleaner for the carpets. (4) A playpen for your toddler! (5) Try wrapping some wide parcel tape around your hand, sticky side outwards, for spot hair removal. (11/30/2004)

By econ o'miser

I tell all visitors not to wear black! Try putting on a latex glove and just wipe your hand across a surface. The hair should stick to it and you can throw it away. (11/30/2004)

By Linda

You can dampen a sponge and wipe that over the areas and that should pull the hair right off. (11/30/2004)

By Eve

I too have a hairy mutt and a little one who is 9 months currently. What I find works wonders is a combo of a few things. I spritz a blend of fabric softener and water on the rug an hour before I vacuum, this helps release the fur and keeps the room smelling great (I do this daily). The other is a 'shedding comb' available at most pet stores (or places like Walmart). It's in the shape of a loop and has teeth on both sides (similar to a currie comb). This comb takes out the dead and the loose hairs. I brush the dog weekly with it outside. That way the hair floats away and doesn't end up in the house! (12/08/2004)

By Melnago

I have 3 terriers that shed year round. Be choosy about the type of upholstery on your furniture. My couch is covered with a polished cotton cover that the hair will not stick to. This makes vacuuming easier. I don't have carpeting in my house, but do have a large area rug in my living room. I vacuum well, and then I have an old rolling pin that I roll shipping tape around with the sticky side out. Roll this over any stubborn hairy areas, and it will pick up the strays. Lots of work, and I don't do it every time, but it makes a big difference. (12/17/2004)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Removing Pet Hair

When cleaning up pet hair on carpet use a rubber glove and it will pick it right up. (01/18/2005)

By Paula

I have a white persian cat, who leaves his white hair all over my dark couches. So, I just vacuum the couches weekly with a dirt-devil hand vacuum. It picks up everything. (01/30/2005)

By Brynn

Our German Shepherd sheds even though his hair is short. To keep shedding to a minimum, groom your pets on a regular basis if they let you. My dog loves to be brushed and combed and will actually drop his favorite ball when he sees me getting the brush! Grooming loosens and removes excess hair and dirt, cuts down on shedding and creates a 'bond' between you and your dog. The hair on a dog is very sensitive and when you brush or comb gently, (even stroking your dog's hair), it sends a signal to the dog's brain that it feels good and he is being comforted. That's why many dogs don't like the hair to be brushed or pushed backward even though many groomers will tell you to do it to either fluff up the hair or to remove excess hair.

My dog hates the vacuum so I can't use it on his hair so I just vacuum the floors and the furniture. I haven't used the rubber glove idea but I will now! We have mostly leather furniture so hair isn't an issue but the futon in the den has a micro-suede cover and grabs the hair like a magnet. I love my dog so I don't complain about the shedding or drooling or making a puddle on the floor when he drinks water. It's just part of being a pet owner. (01/11/2006)

By ldyharley

RE: Cleaning Human/ Dog Hair Carpet

Bed Bath and Beyond makes a sponge that picks up hair when you rub it on carpet. Look in the cleaning section. It is not a gimmick and if you don't like it, they will refund your money. The sponge method is time consuming but it really really works. My problem is my own hair which is long.. worse than any dog or cat! It winds around the vacuum cleaner roller brush and takes hours to pick it out so I use an attachment without a roller so it doesn't get stuck. (02/12/2006)

By Lisa

First of all... please don't shave your pet down! Every dog's coat is designed to keep them cool in summer and warm in winter - if you take that specialized insulation away they can actually overheat much faster! Not to mention they are at greater risk of sunburn.

Control pet hair on the animal by brushing regularly and feed a premium-quality diet.

As far as removing pet hair from carpet, I have a rubber-bristle brush that works wonderfully! You can get one in the form of a push-broom to use on greater surface areas of carpet, or you can use a hand-held one for furniture, cars or in cracks and corners. I love it! I also spritz my carpet with diluted fabric softener shortly before I vacuum (I use an air-pressure garden sprayer). My vacuum is the Hoover V2 (Now sold as the "Savvy") and I absolutely LOVE it! The bag-less ones are the way to go if you have more than one dog, otherwise you are spending tons of money in bags (I would have to go through one bag every time I sweep!). I have heard great things about the Dyson - one thing to note, though, is if you have very short carpet or hardwood the power of the suction is so great it "sticks" to the floor and is difficult to push. (03/11/2006)

By Vet Student

The best thing to use for pet hair on carpets is a rubber broom. They will remove hair that even the vacuum leaves behind. I use my rubber broom all over the house and love how well it works and how easy it is to use. (06/25/2006)

By Malia

I have 11 basset hounds and the best thing for me is to get a spray bottle, fill it half full with downey fabric softener, and then fill to the top with water. Spray a light mist, vacuum, and poof. Works like a charm. I gave this fix to the guy that details our car, and now his whole company uses it. (11/05/2006)

By Melanie

Archive: Cleaning Pet Hair From Furniture and Floors

What is the best way to clean up pet hair off wood floors and leather furniture without just moving in around into the air to settle back later?