I'm concerned about using acetone in my microwave. Is it dangerous to use in a device meant for cooking?
Don't do it! Acetone is explosive and highly flammable.
A small spark will set it off.
Seconding what JamesJ said !
May I ask why you wanted to use acetone in a microwave ?
Ya think? Seriously...before using ANY chemical in a manner for which it was not intentioned to be used, read the MSDS on it. Please.
You could do it but why? A microwave will cause the acetone to boil just like water and once it reaches a point it will most certainly explode. If you plan on using the acetone to clean the inside of the oven then be sure to wash and air out the inside. Still not a safe practice.
Are you trying to clean it? Put a bowl of lemon water in it and boil for 5 minutes and most of the gunk will just wipe right off and smell good, too. Acetone is a dangerous chemical that you should be very careful with, especially around something that will come in contact with food.
This sounds no different to me than a young man who tried to heat up his lava lamp on an electric stove top. It exploded and, quite sadly, was bye bye time for him :-(
Please don't do it! Chemicals and heat of any kind just aren't safe!
For cleaning, the lemon water trick suggested works wonders! Let it sit so the steam loosens up dried on gunk and splatters. Then wipe with a cloth. I use lemon or lime juice as well as baking soda (use the baking soda separately, though because the citrus juices combined with it will fizz as it heats, just like vinegar). This is great for getting rid of odors too, like bacon.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!