Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Peeing on Couch

My Boxer who has been house broken for years urinates on my sofa. He has no health issues and has been to the vet. How can I stop this behavior? It can't possibly be left over odor since we have cleaned and sprayed with a number of scent stoppers. We can't seem to catch him in the act.

By Bonnie from Greenville, NC

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By xintexas [28]07/20/2010

Put double stick tape all over the sofa when you are not home. When he jumps up he gets sticky paws and he won't like that (works with cats too). Your other alternate is to crate him when your are not at home.

By merlene smith [4]07/20/2010

I have a dog that marks in the house and I bought a male version of a diaper for when we can't watch him. It's a band of cloth that fastens with velcro. It is sometimes called a belly band. I bought mine at Petsmart, but it would be easy to make one. Good luck

By merlene smith [4]07/20/2010

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dog Peeing on Couch

I have a 5 year old dog and she has been great. Until this past weekend she has been peeing on the couch. Since Saturday and Sunday she has peed on the couch at least 5 times. I don't know if it is a behavior or medical problem. I would take her out to pee and she would pee on the stairs before we would make it to the grass.

The only logical thing to me is that my boyfriend and I were arguing and maybe she feels what I am feeling and is peeing because she is emotionally stressed. Another incident she peed on my father and my dad helped me raise her when she was a pup. She always warmed up great to my dad when he would come over until my sister bought a new dog. I am not sure what it is because it could me a number of things. Please help me...

Chasityt, San Antonio TX

RE: Dog Peeing on Couch

It sounds like your dog might have a urinary tracht infection. You will need to follow her around and catch some of her urine in a container. The vet told us to use an old soup ladle. Take it to your vet. They can check it and tell you. Our dog had the same problem. After going to the vet, no more wet spots. (08/16/2005)

By sandy

RE: Dog Peeing on Couch

It sounds like a urinary tract infection. Get her to the vet ASAP. (08/16/2005)

By Maryeileen

RE: Dog Peeing on Couch

Perhaps it is a kidney or urinary infection. Not all animals belong outside, and one other post just verged on fanatic. I'll decline as to say which one. I knew someone who ran a dog kennel and sometimes if the dog was going through stress. Stress can be a visitor that stays for a while, kids if she is not used to them, a new pet, or if you had more than one if that pet has passed away or was given to a new home.. if you changed brands of dog food, either kibble or wet or if you have been givng her some 'treat' she has never had... but try looking online, and if no luck ask your vet for suggestions. Good luck. (08/17/2005)

By KLS8800

Archive: Dog Peeing on Couch

Dog Peeing on Couch. My dog pees on the couch and on the bed, but only where the cats have been. Could this be a dominance thing? Or what is happening and how can I stop it?

Archive: Dog Peeing on Couch

How do I stop my dogs from urinating on the couch?

By zoomomma11 from Midlothian, TX

RE: Dog Peeing on Couch

Urine has probably been absorbed in the sofa material and has an odor your dog smells. Try washing your sofa with an enzyme urine cleaner and see if that helps. Last resort is to hire a professional carpet/upholstery cleaner to remove odors. Try covering your sofa with a plastic or vinyl fabric off the bolt at a fabric store to prevent further urine seepage. Since dogs urinate on sofa, I would start training them to stay off upholstered furniture. Buy them their own baby mattress to lay on and it can be wiped off. (09/22/2009)

By Lorelei

RE: Dog Peeing on Couch

If you catch the dog in the "ready" position call out "Hey" in the sharpest, loudest voice you dare use indoors. I startled my dog a couple of times as a pup and she gave up that hellish practice. I've never allowed my animals on my furniture. (09/22/2009)

By MartyD

RE: Dog Peeing on Couch

Take the dogs outside regularly and tell them to go potty. Stay out with them until they go. They will get used to going outside and that will become their 'bathroom.' Be sure to take them to one certain area where you want them to go all the time and take them in the AM and before they go to bed at night. A doggy door helps mine to go outside when they need to. (09/23/2009)

By Stngray

RE: Dog Peeing on Couch

A simple home remedy can stop that if it's not a medical problem. Clean the area thoroughly- dry some then apply vinegar mixed with water. ( in a spray bottle would work most effectively) He/she goes back to the same spot because that's where it has it's scent. (09/23/2009)

By Nik258