Dog Peeing on Couch

My Boxer who has been house broken for years urinates on my sofa. He has no health issues and has been to the vet. How can I stop this behavior? It can't possibly be left over odor since we have cleaned and sprayed with a number of scent stoppers. We can't seem to catch him in the act.

By Bonnie from Greenville, NC

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a dog that marks in the house and I bought a male version of a diaper for when we can't watch him. It's a band of cloth that fastens with velcro. It is sometimes called a belly band. I bought mine at Petsmart, but it would be easy to make one. Good luck

Put double stick tape all over the sofa when you are not home. When he jumps up he gets sticky paws and he won't like that (works with cats too). Your other alternate is to crate him when your are not at home.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

July 16, 2010 Flag

How do I stop my dogs from urinating on the couch?

By zoomomma11 from Midlothian, TX

Answers:

Dog Peeing on Couch

Urine has probably been absorbed in the sofa material and has an odor your dog smells. Try washing your sofa with an enzyme urine cleaner and see if that helps. Last resort is to hire a professional carpet/upholstery cleaner to remove odors. Try covering your sofa with a plastic or vinyl fabric off the bolt at a fabric store to prevent further urine seepage. Since dogs urinate on sofa, I would start training them to stay off upholstered furniture. Buy them their own baby mattress to lay on and it can be wiped off. (09/22/2009)

By Lorelei

Dog Peeing on Couch

If you catch the dog in the "ready" position call out "Hey" in the sharpest, loudest voice you dare use indoors. I startled my dog a couple of times as a pup and she gave up that hellish practice. I've never allowed my animals on my furniture. (09/22/2009)

By MartyD

Dog Peeing on Couch

Take the dogs outside regularly and tell them to go potty. Stay out with them until they go. They will get used to going outside and that will become their 'bathroom.' Be sure to take them to one certain area where you want them to go all the time and take them in the AM and before they go to bed at night. A doggy door helps mine to go outside when they need to. (09/23/2009)

By Stngray

Dog Peeing on Couch

A simple home remedy can stop that if it's not a medical problem. Clean the area thoroughly- dry some then apply vinegar mixed with water. ( in a spray bottle would work most effectively) He/she goes back to the same spot because that's where it has it's scent. (09/23/2009)

By Nik258

September 21, 2009 Flag

My dog pees on the couch and on the bed, but only where the cats have been. Could this be a dominance thing? Or what else is happening and how can I stop it?

Brianne

Answers:

Dog Peeing on Couch

(01/04/2007)

By Brianne

Dog Peeing on Couch

Your dog may have a problem with bladder stones. A trip to the vet would be a good idea, just to check her for any problems. At least you'll know where your dog's health stands. (01/05/2007)

By Jill

Dog Peeing on Couch

Since I bought a house and moved my dogs from living mostly outside to living mostly inside, I also had the fun experience of the dog(s) peeing on my couch and bed, as well as that special treat, peeing in bed in the middle of the night while we are all sleeping in a puppy pile. They were housetrained before we moved. I also have a cat. I did a lot of laundry, bought a lot of cleaner, and spent a lot of money at the vet's.

Here's what we came up with:

1. Both dogs understand house training and are willing to use the doggie door. They will pee on grass outside on command, most readily in their designated peeing area.
  2. Neither one had any infection.
  3. One dog turned out to lose her bladder control as soon as she closed her eyes. Now she takes a pill that helps her with great success.
  4. I know it sounds nuts, but sometimes they are just so sound asleep they don't wake up to pee.
  5. Both of my dogs mark their territory. We always knew this, from before they were a year old, even though they are females and were spayed before six months. The clincher was the day I saw my little darlings hop up on the couch to see out the window. The very moment they saw a pair of Pomeranians walk by outside they peed right on the couch where they were.
  6. One of the dogs has been nosing open the curtain by our communal bed to spy on dogs walking by outside and peeing on the bed when they do.
  7. Both dogs will mark inside and on top of their doghouse outside, as they have done most of their lives.

So, how did we manage this situation?

1. I put the medically incontinent dog on daily medication. I don't like to pump all those drugs into her twice a day for the rest of her life, but there were two factors that made me choose this: we have wood floors and the vet assures me that constantly leaking urine would over time lead to irritation, broken skin, and infection in that area of the dog, as her problem was tending to get worse over time. If medication were not an option then I would have put down vinyl flooring over my wood floors.
  2. I make sure they pee well before we all go to bed, and if I wake up in the night I also wake them and send them out to pee. They learned a special command for this so I can stay in bed.
  3. I was not willing to fight Mother Nature over my sofa. I exchanged it for one made of wood with removable cushions. The dogs stay off the wood, because they can't get steady footing, and I keep the cushions in a nearby closet for when I want them. As my own seat is naturally padded I tend only to bring out the cushions for company.
  4. Of course I bought a waterproof mattress cover, the kind that goes all around the mattress. Experience shows it is necessary to have that kind of plastic cover, itself covered by a quilted/cushiony mattress pad to protect it from getting torn by their nails. Just trust me, the bed sheet is not enough protection. Of course I did buy two quilted mattress covers for times I might need to toss one in the wash and also get some sleep.
  5. I planned to tape the window shade by the bed to the actual window frame to prevent the spying behavior, of course I never got around to this and so still sometimes have a puddle.
  6. I am also unwilling to fight Mother Nature over the dog house, and I do believe it must be emotionally rewarding for my dogs to mark their house. I let them do as they please out there.

There are two related issues of note:

1. There are two spots in the carpeted area of the house where the previous owner's dogs marked and stained the carpet. After two years, my dogs will readily mark these spots if allowed to do so. They are prevented from entering these seldom-used areas of the house. If I ever need my dogs to be reliable in these areas I will most certainly remove the carpet and possibly that section of flooring, and even so I would want to watch them well, at least to start out.
  2. Regarding territorial behavior- After being allowed to bark out the window at passing dogs, over time, my dogs have cultivated an objectionable intolerance for strange dogs, although they do tolerate dogs always in closeby neighbors' yards. A booklet titled "Feisty Fido" outlines a training method to redirect the dog's attention from passing animals to their own owner. My dogs learned the concept almost immediately and although I gave them only a weekend's worth of training several months ago, they retain as much as I gave them. It boils down to "if you see a dog walk by, just come see me and get a cookie". Now I have a pair of dogs who mostly race to the window, bark once or twice, and then race to the kitchen for a cookie. It is a vast improvement on the bark-fests of last summer, although it does not help at all if I'm not there to pass out cookies.

I really hope if your dog is medically incontinent or flat out territorial you may gain some new thinking points from my post. Best of luck to you and your dog(s). (02/25/2007)

By PuppyMommy

Dog Peeing on Couch

A necessary part of the solution (other than getting rid of the offending pet or pets) will be to eliminate the urine odor. Pets have a much more acute sense of smell than people do, and they like to "go" where they can smell that they (or other animals) have "been" before. It could well have been urine residue from the cats (perhaps with their own territorial squabbles) that started this whole process. Anti-Icky-Poo is a brand of urine odor remover that I can vouch for. It took tom cat urine odor out of my carpet and the tom cat does not return there any more. (03/19/2009)

By Red Neck

January 5, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Pets Dogs House TrainingJuly 16, 2010
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:08:14 PM on 10.0.1.91 in 664 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.