Removing Printer Ink from a Plastic Binder

If a printed paged of text is pressed up against a plastic binder for a long period of time (especially if it's hot), some ink will often stick to the plastic. How can I remove the ink that remains on the plastic? Without randomly trying things I have, does anyone know of something commonly found around the house like rubbing alcohol or WD40 that might affect dried-on ink?

By Jon from MO

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

If the ink feels sticky, try Oil of Olay. I know that sounds weird. I use it to remove gummed on stickers on books and such. You only need to dab a bit on a old washcloth or rag...saturate the area that is sticky, and the sticky stuff should come right off.

Best Answer

I would try using petroleum jelly. Some of the harsher chemicals can cause the plastic in the binder to break down and create a distorted area where the ink used to be.

Best Answer

I usually use isopropyl/rubbing alcohol for something like this. If you try the nail polish remover that was suggested here be sure it's 'non-acetone' because the regular 'acetone' type can possibly marr or melt the plastic.

Try rubbing alcohol, WD-40, nail polish remover or hair spray. Apply some solution to a cotton ball and rub that on the ink.

Vinyl Couches
Removing Ink on Vinyl
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsMarch 12, 2011
Printer ink color cartridges.
Saving Money on Toner & Inkjet Cartridges
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 12:25:10 PM on 10.0.0.212 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.