Fantastic Slow Cooked Roast Beef

Thanks to those that answered my request overnight for slow cooked roast beef. They were good but I found my recipe which is fantastic. Here goes.

• 4-6 lb roast
  • 4 carrots
  • 4 ribs of celery
  • 1-2 large onions
  • head of garlic

Directions:

I buy the cheapest round roast. Take 4 carrots peeled, cut into 2 inch pieces (I use baby carrots due to laziness), 4 ribs of celery cut into 2 inch pieces, 1-2 large onions (I always use sweet) quartered, an entire head of garlic with just the top cut off. I put the garlic in center and lay vegetables over the bottom of the rest of the pan (I use a 9x13 inch roast pan). Using a 4-6 pound roast, figure 2 1/2 hours per pound. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Dry roast well, salt and pepper roast then brown all sides in large fry pan. Then place roast fat side up on top of veggies and place in oven and turn oven down to 170 degrees F. Do not cook roast beyond 135 degrees, using a meat thermometer. This temp makes med rare roast. Take out of oven and tent roast loosely, resting for 20 minutes. Remove fat and slice thinly across the grain.

This can be done in advance and left alone tented until ready to eat. Reheat at meal time without veggies at 170 degrees F, but not for long so as meat does not over cook. It is so tender!

The gravy with the recipe was awful. Maybe if you added chunked potatoes to the veggies, you would have roasted veggies for the side. You can use the roasted garlic as a spread on bread. The recipe gravy called for 1 cup red wine, 1 cup beef stock adding the roasted garlic and cook down. I'd rather make gravy with a roue and stock and juices. Enjoy!

Source: Delaware News Journal

By Nancy from Wilmington, DE

Editor's Note: If you would like to see the request that Nancy posted, along with the other slow cook recipes, here is the tip:

Sounds easy and delicious. Does anyone know if this recipe would be just as good with an electric slow cooker (crock pot)? A friend lives in a college dorm and has no access to an oven.

My recipe is this: Put potatoes and carrots in bottom of crockpot, mix 1 pkg of Liptons Beefy Onion Soup mix with 1 can of beef broth and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup. Pour over meat. (If you have a roast larger than 4 lbs, I would double the recipe.) Put on "low" and cook for 8-10 hours depending on how "done" you like it. BUT, the juice that makes this gravy is delicious and you don't have to do one thing to the gravy...I love cooking in a crock pot!

Overnight Roast Beef
Overnight Roast Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats Beef RoastJanuary 26, 2009
beef pot roast
Freezing Cooked Beef
Crockpot Pork Roast
Crockpot Pork Roast Recipes
Roast Beef About to be Sliced
Recipes Using Roast Beef
Roast Beef on Table
Roast Beef Recipes
🎉
🎄