Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Problems Making Fudge

When cooking fudge, do you have to have a pot that evenly distributes heat or will any pot do? Is there a secret to knowing how the fudge looks, when it is ready? On two separate occasions, my thermometer did not read right. Thanks!

By Faith from Clyo, GA

By Stowellmark04/11/2013

I have just started making fudge, and as a chemist, I am upset that I can't seem to get it right. I've made it the cheating way, with morsels, and it comes out well, but sweeter than I want. I've used the recipe on the Hershey's box (my Mom's old recipe) and it always comes out grainy. I am using a candy thermometer, and follow the directions to the letter, but I've never been able to cool a batch to 110 without it setting up hard. I've also seen directions for 175 degrees, but it even sets up at that temp, and can't be mixed. Last night I made sour cream fudge, but it set up before 175 degrees, so I had to reheat it in accordance with sites about "fixing" bad fudge. Now I've got caramel - ultimately sticky and can't be chewed. Help!

By Denise [1]04/11/2011

Hi Faith, I have a perfect fudge recipe every time, no thermometer needed.
3C.semi sweet choc. chips
1 14 oz.can sweetened condensed milk
dash salt
1/2 to 1 C. chopped nuts
1 1/2 t. vanilla
In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt choc. chips with condensed milk and salt. Remove from heat, stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread evenly in wax paper lined 8 or 9 in square pan. Chill 2 hours. Turn fudge onto cutting board, peel off wax paper and cut.
This is an "Eagle Brand" condensed milk recipe I've had for 30 years. Perfect every time!

By Joan [13]04/09/2011

MCW, that is how I have been making fudge for years, but it isn't the same as the real cooked fudge.

By Keeper [57]04/08/2011

Making fudge can be tricky if it's humid to.
Try:baking911.com.They have some get remedies for all sorts of cooking/baking. :)

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]04/08/2011

I have one of the easiest fudge recipes, and it has always turned out perfect. I use my microwave oven to make it. I use a large Corning Ware dish with lid.

EASY CHOCOLATE FUDGE

2 cups (12 oz.) Semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 1/4 cups (14 oz. can) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine morsels and sweetened condensed milk in heavy saucepan. Warm over lowest possible heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread evenly into foiled-lined 8 or 9-inch square pan. Chill for 2 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; remove foil and cut into squares.

(Makes about 2 lbs. fudge)

By Joan [13]04/08/2011

My Mother and I always just used any cheap pot that we had on hand. For many years my Mother didn't even own a candy thermometer. She checked for the right degree of doneness by dropping a small dab of the batter in a cup with a little cold water in it. If the dab formed a soft ball that meant it was ready to take off the stove. She then added some butter(never measured it, it kind of looked like it might be about 1-2 Tbsps., you should also add vanilla to taste.) Then she set the pan in some cold water, I don't remember for how long, and after a certain period of time she began stirring it until it lost it's gloss, then poured it into a greased pan. When it was completely hard it was cut into squares. I just checked in a church cook book and found a recipe that must be similar to the one my Mother used and I did get the directions right.

Here are questions related to Problems Making Fudge.

Question: Fudge Crumbly

I make fudge all the time. It is the recipe on the Hershey can with a little alteration. My question is, at times I make it sometimes it turns out perfectly, but other times when I cut it, it is crumbly. I make it on pretty days, but it still comes out crumbly at times. Other times it stays together nicely when cut. Weather is not the factor, but I don't know what is. I always measure carefully. Any answers out there?

By GR

Question: Fix for Chewy Fudge

I made my mom's marshmallow fudge. Instead of using MM creme I used whole marshmallows. The fudge set and tastes good, but is chewy and very dense which is not what I was going for.

Any suggestions to repair this batch?

By Lynn N.

Most Recent Answer

By Janette12/20/2011

Oh do I have the best peanut butter fudge recipe for you. It is so unbelievably creamy and is foolproof. Comes out great every time. Never gritty or chewy.

3 cups of sugar, 12oz. of Jiffy peanut butter ( I like Jiffy the best), 1/4 cup of clear Karo syrup, 1-7oz. jar of marshmallow cream, 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract (do not use imitation vanilla), 2 Tablespoons of butter, and 2/3 cups of evaporated milk. In a medium pan mix together the evaporated milk, sugar, Karo syrup, and butter. Stirring constantly until a rolling boil. Boil 3 minutes and only 3 minutes. If you cook it longer it is hard to stir in the pb and MM cream. Remove from heat and add the vanilla, marshmallow cream, and peanut butter. Stir until the marshmallow cream and peanut butter are melted and incorporated. Pour into a buttered pan. Cool and cut into squares and enjoy!

Question: Fudge Didn't Set

I made the same recipe with the semi sweets and sweet condensed milk. I followed the directions, cooking until melted smooth, then I added the nuts and vanilla. It has been in fridge for 5 hours and has still not set up. What did I do wrong and how do I get it set up now?

By Nofudge

Most Recent Answer

By Mary12/20/2011

Put it back in the pan and cook it untill it has thickened some more then it should set up.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Problems Making Fudge

I have made fudge 2 years in a row, and each year I make it I put in the refrigerator like it suggests and it turns out gooey in the pan, not like little squares. Can you help me?

Thank you,

Susan

RE: Problems Making Fudge

How are you making fudge? With marshmallow Fluff? If you are making it the old fashion way on days that are high in humidity it must be cooked to a full soft ball stage. A candy thermometer will help. Don't put it in the refrigerator. Cook to soft ball stage, then add nuts if you want to and beat until it gets dull. Have wax paper laid out to drop on or butter a dish to setup in. Hope this helps. (12/08/2004)

By nette27533

RE: Problems Making Fudge

Are using evap milk in a recipe that calls for condensed milk. They are not interchangeable. Use a candy thermometer, and don't make candy on a wet day. Humidity in the air will affect it. (12/08/2004)

By

RE: Problems Making Fudge

I have always used the recipe on the hershey cocoa box with one addition, I add two tablespoons of flour, it always comes out really good. Always sets up, never have to put it in fridge, (12/08/2004)

By Joyce

RE: Problems Making Fudge

I believe that you are not boiling the fudge long enough. A drop of the mixture must make a ball that you can pick up easily from a little cold water before it is ready to take off the stove. Then, it should be beaten until the mixture stuck to the sides of the pan is "setting" before pouring quickly into a buttered dish. (12/08/2004)

By Mary

RE: Problems Making Fudge

I had that problem when I didn't beat the fudge long enough. (12/09/2004)

By Shirl

RE: Problems Making Fudge

Fudge is such fun at Christmas but there are some tricks to remember when making any candies at any time. Don't make candy on a rainy or snowy day because most won't set up. Never add extracts IE vanilla until the very last step. Extracts will make your candy stay soft if you haven't cooked it to the correct stage before adding extract. Let your fudge cool in a cool room rather than in the refrigerator and see if this will help. Often fudge needs to completely cool before refrigerating. Also follow the recipe exactly as it is printed. So many different recipes but these tricks are the big ones I learned years ago and have had good success if I follow them. Happy holidays (12/10/2004)

By Julie

RE: Problems Making Fudge

I made some fudge at the holidays and followed the recipe almost exactly. I just doubled the recipe and cooked it a little longer because of the added volume... but it came out hard as a brick and as heavy as one. Could I have fixed in in any way by recooking it or melting it and mixing with evaporated milk or marshmallow or a mixture of both? (01/12/2005)

By Cyndie

RE: Problems Making Fudge

I tried to make fudge following a recipe. Now I'm not a candy maker, but I thought that I would try to make simple fudge. Kids are making it all the time so why shouldn't I be able to do the same. After mixing the ingredients as directed, I commenced to begin the boiling of the mixture. I stirred the mixture constantly, and heated it until it reached the candy thermometer temp specified in the recipe. Then I turned off the heat, and continued to stir the mixture. But something was wrong. It wasn't setting up like I expected. I decided to let it cool down some, and then I would try to stir it again. This didn't help at all. The cooler it got - the thichker and harder it got. Soon I had a pot of street repair material. Do you suppose I could patent my technique and then sell it to construction companies so that they could patch and repair the local streets? (05/20/2005)

By Rick

Archive: Problems Making Fudge

What can I do to get my fudge to get hard on a rainy day?

Nancy from WV

RE: Problems Making Fudge

My recipe uses only peanut butter, butter, and confectioners sugar. I can make this during any weather and not have any problems. I found out long ago that whatever kind of candy you're making, the house needs to be cool. The cooler the house the better. (01/03/2007)

By Amy

RE: Problems Making Fudge

I have a few little tricks for making fudge.

I get it all mixed up and start to boiling, then clean something. I come back to it and stir it occasionally. I use the drop test, dropping a little bit of fudge in tap water and if it makes a ball it is nearly ready. I usually let it cook a few more minutes, then remove it from the stove and stir it for a bit.

Personally, I don't want to wear my arm out, so I put some water in the sink and set the pot in it and stir it a minute or so, then find something else to do for a bit and come back to it shortly and stir it some more. When it starts to be grainy, I pour it into a buttered dish and let it sit, out of the fridge and by the time it is completely cooled, it cuts into little squares. By trbrown22

RE: Problems Making Fudge

I lived in Arkansas where on any given day the humidity is above 60%. My recipe called for 1 cup of whole milk (only making fudge would I use it). I cut it down to 3/4 cup and it came out perfectly. I have one recipe and it came from my Grandma, Old Fashion Peanut Butter Fudge from a Hershey can in the 50s.

I also had a dehumidifier I used when cooking or it was raining, to keep the inside of my house from "sweating", as we didn't have an air conditioner. I know you'll be getting lots of info on here and these suggestions I posted are what worked for me. I moved to the desert so now I use a humidifier. (01/05/2007)

By SweetCali40

RE: Problems Making Fudge

My sister says when her goodies don't turn out right, no one needs to know. She just makes it into a dessert sauce to serve over ice cream, pound cake, etc. and topped with a dollop of whipped topping and garnish as you please. This way no big waste of money and it all gets eaten up. (06/19/2007)

By badwater

RE: Problems Making Fudge

I work in a fudge shop and your never supposed to put fudge in the refrigerator. (10/02/2007)

By Allison

RE: Problems Making Fudge

I had a similar problem, my fudge wouldn't set correctly and I put it back on the stove, heated it up and added 1/4 tsps of Cream of Tartar, put it back in the pan, set it in the refrigerator and voila, it set just fine. (12/05/2008)

By Judy

Archive: Problems Making Fudge

How do I get my marshmallow fudge to set up?

Archive: Problems Making Fudge

I have a batch of chocolate/ peanut butter fudge that did not harden. Does anyone know how I can salvage it?