Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Freezing Carrots

Having some of your frequently used ingredients all ready to go when cooking can save time. With just a few simple steps you can freeze carrots for use later. This is a guide about freezing carrots.

June 11, 2006 Flag

Selecting High-Quality Carrots:

Fresh carrots may lose some of their crisp texture during freezing but will still be good for cooking. Select young, tender, medium length carrots free from cracks and dryness. Small carrots are usually the most tender. When harvesting, leave them in the garden until you're are ready to process them, but do not let them become too oversized or woody.

Preparing for Freezing:

Remove the tops, wash and peel. Leave small carrots whole. Cut others into thin slices, 1/4-inch cubes, lengthwise strips or julienne them with a food processor. A 1-quart jar will hold approximately 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of slice or diced carrots. Approximately 12 medium carrots = 1 pint of puree.

Blanching Time:

Water-blanch small whole carrots 5 minutes, diced or sliced pieces or lengthwise strips for 2 minutes. Steam-blanch for 7 and 3 minutes respectively. Cool promptly and drain.

Best Freezing Method(s):

• Boilable Bags: Place desired amounts sliced or julienne carrots into boiling bags, add desired seasoning, press out air and seal. Blanch in boiling water (4 bags at a time for 8 to 10 minutes), cool bags in ice water, pat dry and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

• Tray Packs: Clean and prepare whole leaves or wedges and either blanch or leave them unblanched. Lay in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

• Dry Packs: Transfer blanched or unblanched cabbage leaves, wedges or shredded cabbage directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave a 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should protect food from absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic or glass containers or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Add directly to cooking dishes without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Whole carrots are the least likely to freeze well, so you are better off freezing slices, pieces or strips. Whole carrots can be left in the ground during the winter if you cover them heavily with mulch, however early spring thaws followed by refreezing may compromise quality and accessing them in winter can be difficult.

Refrigerating Carrots:

Wrap carrots in paper towels and store in plastic bags for 1 to 3 months.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 5, 2005 Flag

When preparing a lot of carrots for blanching and freezing, brush off as much dirt as possible, fill an old pillow case with carrots, tie it with string and use the rinse cycle in your washer to clean them. You will be amazed at how much dirt the rinse cycle will take off the carrots.

By Ragteller from Alberta, Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use the rinse cycle in a TOP LOAD washing machine not the front load washing machine.

October 13, 2008 Flag

Do you need to add liquid when freezing carrots?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Carrots should be scalded in boiling water for 3 minutes. Then cool, package, and freeze promptly. No water added.

Best Answer

Before freezing any vegetable, it must be blanched.That means dropped into boiling water for a few minutes, then removed from the boiling water, and chilled. So, wash , peel, and cut the carrots, drop them into a pot of boiling water to blanch, drain off the boiling water, and chill them to stop the cooking that the boiling water started.

Have a large container with ice cubes and cold water ready, and after draining the carrots, put them right into the prepared ice water. If you want these carrots slices so you can use a few at a time, then freeze them on a cookie sheet until they are frozen, remove them, and put into a freezer bag, or container. If you use the cookie sheet, it'll take a time or two to freeze all of your carrot slices.

If you just dump them directly into a freezer bag, or a freezer container, they will freeze into a giant chunk of carrots. And then you'll need to use the whole container for a recipe, because it will be difficult to break the chunk apart. Hope this is helpful. I am sure there is a site somewhere that can explain it better.

July 1, 2011 Flag

I have received a lot of carrots can they be frozen? If yes, must I cook them first before freezing?

By MJM

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Blanch small whole carrots 5 minutes, diced or sliced 2 minutes.

Best Answer

Hi Schyresti. Glad someone else dehydrates, too. You can use them in regular cooking with veggies and powder them an use them for seasoning and thickening. That is with all veggies.

October 22, 2007 Flag

I have already frozen the carrots but did not blanch them. Are they still safe to eat?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The carrots will be safe to eat, but they may not have quite the same texture after you cook them. I have never frozen them without blanching, but I have frozen shredded carrots for carrot cake, and they are fine. One freezes fruit such as raspberries or strawberries raw. They are perfectly fine to eat.

Louise, Nipawin, SK

Best Answer

Hi,

I just used some carrots I had tossed into the freezer without blanching them. I steamed them, but the texture was tough and rubbery. They were pretty bad. I ended up putting them in the blender and used them to thicken chicken stock for vegetable soup. The soup was wonderful.

September 21, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze carrots?

By Alice

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Yes. Blanch whole carrots for 5 to 6 minutes and diced/sliced for 2 to 3 minutes.

Be sure to give them an immediate ice water bath after the blanching to stop the cooking process. Pat dry with a towel, place in freezer bags and remove as much air from the bag as possible to reduce freezer burn.

Best Answer

You can also freeze them if they are already cooked. Just put in a plastic container or a ziploc bag, and put in the freezer.

March 20, 2011 Flag

What is the preparation for freezing carrots?

By Audrey

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Blanch them in hot water for about 2-3 minutes. When cool, transfer to freezer bags and store in freezer.

Best Answer

Ditto with MCW but be sure to drain and pat try well after blanching to reduce freezer burn.

May 25, 2012 Flag

How can I freeze fresh-grown carrots?

By Barbara A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

To freeze carrots you have got to blanch them after slicing and dip them in cold water to retain its color.

September 16, 2009 Flag

How do I freeze grated carrots for future use in a cake? Do I have to blanch them, etc.?

By nickic1000 from MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No blanching, just wash and blot dry and peel skin before grating. Premeasure the carrots for recipe before placing in a freezer bag. You might get a bit of natural carrot juice after thawing, but do not drain; use it too. You could add a little lemon juice to keep carrots bright colored.

Thank you! I'll be freezing those carrots today for carrot cake later.

February 2, 2012 Flag

What do I need to do to freeze carrots?

By David

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Freezing carrots is very easy, just peel the carrots, cut them in slices, put them in a plastic container with lid and freeze. So when you want them just take what you need and plunge it in hot water. If you have far too many carrots you can make carrot cake and freeze it in slices, it's wonderful. Petra

December 25, 2011 Flag

I have a few bags of "baby carrots", the ones that are about 2 inches long and rounded on both ends, the kind you put on a veggie tray for snacking. Only we got way too much. Can these be frozen like they are or do they need to be blanched?

By Klm

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would think they have to be blanched. I also don't think you will be able to eat them as fresh. My thought is they would have to be used in cooking.

August 30, 2011 Flag

I had a lot of carrots given to me and I would like to freeze them. How long must I blanch them before freezing them if I cut them into 1/4 to 3/8 inch coins for freezing? And how long will they keep?

By Veneta from Flagstaff, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Personally I wouldn't slice smaller than 1/2 inch (which takes 2 to 3 minutes to blanch) but if you do slice smaller then start checking tenderness at 1 minute. After blanching give an immediate ice water bath to stop the cooking process, pat dry well and place in freezer bags with as much air removed as possible. They should hold up well for six months and some people say as much as one year.

March 20, 2011 Flag

How do I freeze carrots?

By sisterbeth from Aurora, CO

Answers:

Freezing Carrots

Yes. Cook them and freeze them or cut them up and freeze them. (09/29/2010)

By Lilac

Freezing Carrots

Wash, peel, and trim. Leave small carrots whole and slice large ones if you want to. Blanch whole carrots for 5 minutes or sliced or super small whole ones for 2 minutes. Give them an ice bath, drain, pat dry and store in freezer bags with as much air as possible removed.

By the way, I have a dear, dear Christian friend in Aurora. (09/29/2010)

By Deeli

Freezing Carrots

I just popped the carrots in a plastic zip lock container, but made sure they where the baby carrots not the full blown ones. I think the baby ones stay fresher in the freezer. I have never tried home grown carrots. (09/29/2010)

By rosefroggie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 27, 2010 Flag

How do you freeze uncooked carrots?

By Ian from Brooklyn, Tasmania

Answers:

Freezing Carrots

Put them in a pan, cover with water, bring to boil, boil 3 minutes, then let cool. Put in freezer bags. Someone told me carrots didn't have to be blanched so I tried it. They were a yucky purple and unfit to eat. I've frozen them for over 40 years. (04/12/2010)

By dajavooi

Freezing Carrots

Blanching is very important and freezing my carrots cut in bite size pieces worked great for me. I can just pour out how much I want and keep the rest frozen. This year I will not drain all the water so some helps keep them from freezer burning. I did find I had some trouble with that. I might even slightly freeze them on cookie sheets spray them with water and them freeze them with a thin coating of water. They are certainly worth it, so sweet and good. (04/12/2010)

By latrtatr

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 10, 2010 Flag

Can you tell me how to freeze whole carrots?

By Peter from London

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 1, 2010 Flag

You can blanch grated carrots for further use. Store in an airtight container or a Ziplock bag, because they can get freezer burned.

By Dorty from SA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 27, 2009 Flag
By Ellen Brown

Selecting High-Quality Carrots: Fresh carrots may lose some of their crisp texture during freezing but will still be good for cooking. Select young, tender, medium length carrots free from cracks and dryness. Small carrots are usually the most tender. When harvesting, leave them in the garden until you're are ready to process them, but do not let them become too oversized or woody.

Preparing for Freezing: Remove the tops, wash and peel. Leave small carrots whole. Cut others into thin slices, 1/4-inch cubes, lengthwise strips or julienne them with a food processor. A 1-quart jar will hold approximately 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of slice or diced carrots. Approximately 12 medium carrots = 1 pint of puree.

Blanching Time: Water-blanch small whole carrots 5 minutes, diced or sliced pieces or lengthwise strips for 2 minutes. Steam-blanch for 7 and 3 minutes respectively. Cool promptly and drain.

Best Freezing Method(s):

• Tray Packs: Clean and prepare carrots and either blanch or leave them unblanched. Lay in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

• Dry Packs: Transfer blanched or unblanched carrots directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave a 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging: Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should protect food from absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic or glass containers or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time: 10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing: Add directly to cooking dishes without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts: Whole carrots are the least likely to freeze well, so you are better off freezing slices, pieces or strips. Whole carrots can be left in the ground during the winter if you cover them heavily with mulch, however early spring thaws followed by refreezing may compromise quality and accessing them in winter can be difficult.

Refrigerating Carrots: Wrap carrots in paper towels and store in plastic bags for 1 to 3 months.

Answers:

Freezing Carrots

Hey, great info on the carrot situation! I raised lots of carrots this summer but too many got really big. I have peeled them and run them through the food processor. Tomorrow I plan to use the info I've received today to put them up. Thank you all so very much. (09/20/2007)

By Reba

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 2, 2011
carrots
Saving Money on Carrots
Canned Carrots
Canning Carrots
Growing Carrots
Growing Carrots
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 12:06:23 PM on 10.0.2.231 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.