Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Freezing Carrots

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Freezing Carrots

Having some of your frequently used ingredients all ready to go when cooking can save time. With just a few simple steps you can freeze carrots for use later. This is a guide about freezing carrots.

Solutions: Freezing Carrots

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Article: Freezing Carrots

Bunch of Carrots

Selecting High-Quality Carrots:

Fresh carrots may lose some of their crisp texture during freezing but will still be good for cooking. Select young, tender, medium length carrots free from cracks and dryness. Small carrots are usually the most tender. When harvesting, leave them in the garden until you're are ready to process them, but do not let them become too oversized or woody.

Preparing for Freezing:

Remove the tops, wash and peel. Leave small carrots whole. Cut others into thin slices, 1/4-inch cubes, lengthwise strips or julienne them with a food processor. A 1-quart jar will hold approximately 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of slice or diced carrots. Approximately 12 medium carrots = 1 pint of puree.

Blanching Time:

Water-blanch small whole carrots 5 minutes, diced or sliced pieces or lengthwise strips for 2 minutes. Steam-blanch for 7 and 3 minutes respectively. Cool promptly and drain.

Best Freezing Method(s):

• Boilable Bags: Place desired amounts sliced or julienne carrots into boiling bags, add desired seasoning, press out air and seal. Blanch in boiling water (4 bags at a time for 8 to 10 minutes), cool bags in ice water, pat dry and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

• Tray Packs: Clean and prepare whole leaves or wedges and either blanch or leave them unblanched. Lay in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

• Dry Packs: Transfer blanched or unblanched cabbage leaves, wedges or shredded cabbage directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave a 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should protect food from absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic or glass containers or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Add directly to cooking dishes without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Whole carrots are the least likely to freeze well, so you are better off freezing slices, pieces or strips. Whole carrots can be left in the ground during the winter if you cover them heavily with mulch, however early spring thaws followed by refreezing may compromise quality and accessing them in winter can be difficult.

Refrigerating Carrots:

Wrap carrots in paper towels and store in plastic bags for 1 to 3 months.

By Ellen Brown

Tip: Cleaning Harvested Carrots for Blanching and Freezing

When preparing a lot of carrots for blanching and freezing, brush off as much dirt as possible, fill an old pillow case with carrots, tie it with string and use the rinse cycle in your washer to clean them. You will be amazed at how much dirt the rinse cycle will take off the carrots.

By Ragteller from Alberta, Canada

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Freezing Carrots.

Question: Freezing Garden Carrots

I have carrots just picked from the garden. Can I freeze or do I have to blanch first?

By Tracey

Question: Freezing Carrots

How do you freeze carrots? Do they need to be blanched?

By Melvin from Circle City, AZ

Question: Freezing Carrots

How can I freeze fresh-grown carrots?

By Barbara A.

Most Recent Answer

By Dorothy [40]05/26/2012

To freeze carrots you got to blanch them after slicing and dip them in cold water to retain its color.

Question: Freezing Carrots

What do I need to do to freeze carrots?

By David

Most Recent Answer

By PetraG02/04/2012

Freezing carrots is very easy, just peel the carrots, cut them in slices, put them in a plastic container with lid and freeze. So when you want them just take what you need and plunge it in hot water. If you have far too many carrots you can make carrot cake and freeze it in slices, it's wonderful. Petra

Question: Freezing Carrots

I have a few bags of "baby carrots", the ones that are about 2 inches long and rounded on both ends, the kind you put on a veggie tray for snacking. Only we got way too much. Can these be frozen like they are or do they need to be blanched?

By Klm

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [13]12/25/2011

I would think they have to be blanched. I also don't think you will be able to eat them as fresh. My thought is they would have to be used in cooking.

Question: Freezing Carrots

Can you freeze carrots?

By Alice

Most Recent Answer

By lara [16]09/23/2011

You can also freeze them if they are already cooked. Just put in a plastic container or a ziploc bag, and put in the freezer.

Question: Freezing Carrots

I had a lot of carrots given to me and I would like to freeze them. How long must I blanch them before freezing them if I cut them into 1/4 to 3/8 inch coins for freezing? And how long will they keep?

By Veneta from Flagstaff, AZ

Most Recent Answer

09/01/2011

Personally I wouldn't slice smaller than 1/2 inch (which takes 2 to 3 minutes to blanch) but if you do slice smaller then start checking tenderness at 1 minute. After blanching give an immediate ice water bath to stop the cooking process, pat dry well and place in freezer bags with as much air removed as possible. They should hold up well for six months and some people say as much as one year.

Question: Storing/Freezing Mass Quantities of Carrots

I have received a lot of carrots can they be frozen? If yes, must I cook them first before freezing?

By MJM

Most Recent Answer

By gbk [45]07/06/2011

Hi Schyresti. Glad someone else dehydrates, too. You can use them in regular cooking with veggies and powder them an use them for seasoning and thickening. That is with all veggies.

Question: Freezing Carrots

What is the preparation for freezing carrots?

By Audrey

Most Recent Answer

03/22/2011

Ditto with MCW but be sure to drain and pat try well after blanching to reduce freezer burn.

Question: Freezing Grated Carrots

How do I freeze grated carrots for future use in a cake? Do I have to blanch them, etc.?

By nickic1000 from MI

Most Recent Answer

By Nicki [3]09/17/2009

Thank you! I'll be freezing those carrots today for carrot cake later.

Question: Do I Add Water When Freezing Carrots?

Do you need to add liquid when freezing carrots?

Most Recent Answer

By Lindaspy [2]03/26/2011

No. I have been canning since my 20's and I am retired now. My Mother and I use to cut carrots blanch them for three minutes let them sit in a colunder and put them in freezer bags.

For Grated carrots, we just peeled them and then grated them and put 3 cups in a bag so that when we wanted to make carrot cake all we had to do was get the carrots out of the freezer,,those you don't need to blanche,,just peel and grate....

Question: Frozen Unblanched Carrots

I have already frozen the carrots but did not blanch them. Are they still safe to eat?

Most Recent Answer

By Jacques (Guest Post)10/27/2007

Hi
Carrots will be safe to eat even after 3 months, my advice on preparing the frozen unblanched carrots is too defrost them, pan fry with a little butter and brown sugar till golden brown. Try this and you will freeze more carrots again. Also try using them in a beef stew (sorry from South Africa)

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Freezing Carrots

Freezing Carrots Date: 10/03/2004 Topics: Food Tips and Info > I found a great deal on carrots at the store this week and bought 10 pounds. I am wanting to freeze them to eat as a side-vegetable latter on. Any ideas on the best way to do this? I am supposing that I have to blanch/boil them for a bit first but don't know how long. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Donna in Kansas

Answers:
RE: Freezing Carrots 10/03/2004
Wash and scrape or wash and dice or section lengthwise. Small carrots may be frozen whole. Scald carrots 3 min & whole carrots 5 min. cool, drain and pack in vacuum bags or plastic freezer boxes or freezer jars. Seal, label and freeze. Hope this helps.
By Sharonx6
RE: Freezing Carrots 10/04/2004
If you have a baby or know someone who has a baby who is eating food, you can cook some of them, mash in a blender, and freeze individual servings in ice cube trays. After they are frozen, pop out and put in a large baggie in the freezer. One cube is usually the perfect size for a beginning eater! My son loved them!
By Jill (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Carrots 10/05/2004
Babies under the age of 1yr should only eat carrots prepared by baby food makers. Apparently they are quite high in nitrates and can be dangerous for them. My daughter found this out from her well baby nurse recently . Better to be safe than sorry .
By Terri (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Carrots 10/14/2004
Thanks sharonx6 for the info, extremely helpfull!
By Avigayil (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Carrots 07/09/2005
I bought a lot of carrots. I want to freeze them for making carrot cake later on. Can I grate, spread out on a cookie sheet to freeze quickly, then bag them? I have bags of grated zucchini bagged in the freezer that make excellent bread.
By Linda Sullivan (Guest Post)

Archive: Freezing Carrots

By Ellen Brown

***

Freezing Carrots
*** Selecting High-Quality Carrots: Fresh carrots may lose some of their crisp texture during freezing but will still be good for cooking. Select young, tender, medium length carrots free from cracks and dryness. Small carrots are usually the most tender. When harvesting, leave them in the garden until you're are ready to process them, but do not let them become too oversized or woody. freezing guide

Preparing for Freezing: Remove the tops, wash and peel. Leave small carrots whole. Cut others into thin slices, 1/4-inch cubes, lengthwise strips or julienne them with a food processor. A 1-quart jar will hold approximately 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of slice or diced carrots. Approximately 12 medium carrots = 1 pint of puree.

Blanching Time: Water-blanch small whole carrots 5 minutes, diced or sliced pieces or lengthwise strips for 2 minutes. Steam-blanch for 7 and 3 minutes respectively. Cool promptly and drain.

Best Freezing Method(s):

• Tray Packs: Clean and prepare carrots and either blanch or leave them unblanched. Lay in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

• Dry Packs: Transfer blanched or unblanched carrots directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave a 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging: Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should protect food from absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic or glass containers or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time: 10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing: Add directly to cooking dishes without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts: Whole carrots are the least likely to freeze well, so you are better off freezing slices, pieces or strips. Whole carrots can be left in the ground during the winter if you cover them heavily with mulch, however early spring thaws followed by refreezing may compromise quality and accessing them in winter can be difficult.

Refrigerating Carrots: Wrap carrots in paper towels and store in plastic bags for 1 to 3 months.

RE: Freezing Carrots

Hey, great info on the carrot situation! I raised lots of carrots this summer but too many got really big. I have peeled them and run them through the food processor. Tomorrow I plan to use the info I've received today to put them up. Thank you all so very much. (09/20/2007)

By Reba

Archive: Freezing Carrots

You can blanch grated carrots for further use. Store in an airtight container or a Ziplock bag, because they can get freezer burned.

By Dorty from SA

Archive: Freezing Carrots

Can you tell me how to freeze whole carrots?