JapaneseInternational

Miso Soup

Category Japanese
Because of the medications I have to take, my vitamin B12 becomes greatly depleted and the supplements give me acid reflux. So I needed to search for vitamin B12 rich foods that I like to eat to help compensate. When I found miso soup on the list, I immediately searched the web for recipes because I love Japanese dishes and that soup is one of my favorites!

Here is what I came up with by experimenting with the assorted recipes found. You can make your own dashi stock with dashi stock powder found in the Asian aisle of your market or at health food stores. There are three types of miso paste; black, red, or white. I personally have always preferred the flavor of white so that's what I used. Oh, and this soup tastes great reheated the next day too ;-)

• 3 cups dashi soup stock
  • 1 oz tofu, cut into small cubes, or more to taste
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. miso paste, or more to taste
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1/2 large green onion, white and green parts, finely sliced

Directions:

Mix miso and soy sauce in a small bowl. Bring dashi soup stock to a gentle boil in a small sauce pan. Add tofu and turn down to simmer.

Add miso mixture and heat until not quite boiling, stirring slowly. Remove from heat. Add green onion, stir and serve.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Thanks for sharing. Miso soup is always my favorite part of a Japanese meal. This recipe would also make an excellent stock for Ramen noodles instead of those little foil packets that come with it. Try throwing in some sauteed mushrooms, bok choi, shrimp, leftover chicken, etc., to turn it into a wonderfully filling and healthy meal. My family won't eat Ramen any other way!

Thank you for posting this, Deeli. Another great recipe! And wonderful suggestions from Cookie2. So healthy and delicious, and a great way to make leftover meat, poultry or chicken into a wonderful meal.

Thanks for this easy recipe. My 4 year old granddaughter gets excited when she learns the family is going out for a sushi dinner because she loves miso soup. I'll have to try this for her.

Amazing... I was looking for a Miso soup recipe this week. I like it with seaweed which I'm having a hard time finding.