Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Sour Smell in Bed Sheets

Does anyone know how to get rid of daily sour smell in bedding without having to change sheets every day. Febreze does not work on it. Thanks.

Laura from Amherstburg Ontario, Canada

By

By Jan M (Guest Post)10/07/2007

Have you tried Borax powder to your laundry. Follow directions on pkg. Have most recently found it at Walmart. Vinegar also works, but you may need an extra rinse to reduce the vinegar residue.

By (Guest Post)10/06/2007

You could try sprinkling the bed with bi-carb soda. This often helps. Or otherwise, find a local brand of powder used to treat sneeker smell.
Good luck

By Jazzylazzy (Guest Post)10/06/2007

When you wash your sheets, add 1 cup of bleach to the wash water and let them soak for about 10 minutes. Wash as usual.

By Barbara Rokeby10/05/2007

Use a laundry soap - not a detergent - don't use too much - the one I use has borax in it - and hang out to dry or air outside for an hour if it rains too much to do the drying outside.

By LAURIE from Missouri (Guest Post)10/05/2007

Use white vinegar for fabric softener and then hang your sheets out in fresh air to dry. HEAVEN!

By (Guest Post)10/05/2007

Could it be coming from the mattress?

By Mary (Guest Post)10/05/2007

Have you tried linen sprays? They seem to bring freshness to the sheets and come in a variety of scents.

By Pamela [7]10/05/2007

Not sure why you're getting a sour smell unless you leave them in the washing machine for a couple days or something. But I have an infant that has spit up many times and we know what that smells like. Soaking your sheets or anything foul smelling in borax for a couple hours and rinsing with vinegar works great! Good luck.

By Pamela [7]10/05/2007

By Rob [3]10/05/2007

Why do they smell sour every day?

By joan pecsek [88]10/03/2007

I used to have this problem. Someone told me I was probably using too much laundry detergent, the amount recommended by the manufacturer is twice too much and will leave a sour smell. I cut back to half and haven't had the problem since.