Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Sunflower Theme Kitchen

I live in mobile home I want to paint my kitchen. I want to paint the walls yellow using a sunflower theme. What would be a good shade, as my curtains are solid yellow panels with green check with sunflower valances. I also want to paint my cabinets and trim but I don't know what are the best colors. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bug from Cordova, SC

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By elena laisa 10/31/08 (Guest Post)10/30/2008

I am an avid fan of sunflower and I must say an "addict"! My house, not only my kitchen has a sunflower theme. I am here in the Philippines and I enjoy browsing the internet for sunflower items. How it pains me to see them before my eyes yet I cannot have them because I am far, far away! I started my collection last 1995 and I haven't stopped since then. I know the feeling of happiness and satisfaction upon seeing your collection! Just go on with things that will make you happy, with things that you like, and eventually, unmeasurable fullfilment follows. Good luck!

By Lynda (Guest Post)09/24/2006

Something that surprised me is a light green table topper on which I then placed my Sunflower Placemats. Chairs have large green/white stripes and the whole thing blends wonderfully with white
basic furniture. Could you adapt/love these colors and prints in your trailer? I had all yellow for about a year. It was TOO sunny/happy, so that when I was tired, it sort of irritated me to wake to SUN coming
through "Yeowller" curtains, reflecting on a Yeowller
fridge, and so much yellow that I got sick of it fast. I was too young to know how to correct this, so I lived with it as long as I could and vowed NEVER to do that to myself ever again! LOL One of the sweetest kitchens I have ever seen was pale spearmint/blue
with creamy mellow-yellow classic designs hand painted/stenciled on the cabinet doors. It had a Country French look/feel and really cozy with checked fabric in these colors. Good luck and God bless. : )

By jean (Guest Post)09/23/2006

My daughter has a sunflower themed kitchen.
White cupboards, pale yellow walls, blue countertops.
sunflower pictures,placemats, blue rug, with her collection of cobalt glass on the cupboard tops and window sills. Floor is wood look tile, appliances and hardware are stainless steel.
Keep the major things like cabinets and floors neutral, and get the theme from accessories. She has varied shades of sunflowers, and it looks good.

By susan [5]09/22/2006

I'd keep the cabinets a basic, neutral white. Later, when you get tired of this theme, it will be easy to repaint walls for a new color scheme, and get different accessories, but refinishing cabinets can be a real pain.

I think yellow kitchen walls are a real classic--remember the 50s with their sunny kitchens? However, don't choose an extremely bold yellow, or if you're already in love with a particularly bight one, try it on one accent wall first (or maybe just the upper part), because you might not want or need all the walls that vivid. We lived in a trailer years ago, and the kitchen didn't have too much of the walls showing with all the cabinets, built-ins, windows, etc, so all yellow walls would not have been a big thing. You'll have to judge that. I happen to like light and bright colors rather than dark or neutral ones. What do you like? Use colors you love and you'll never tire of them.

Also, I wouldn't be afraid of the colors not matching. Nature has all sorts of colors--not all sunflowers are the same yellow, nor are their stems the same green. Just keep the theme and stay in the same color family and it'll look fine. Everything matching is kind of boring.

And once you're done, if you want to start a collection, that's great. But be careful not to clutter with all kinds of sunflower trinkets. Just because some are nice, doesn't mean more are better. Too many will look junky, and after all your hard work, you want it to look nice.

By (Guest Post)09/21/2006

I have a sunflower themed kitchen as well. I would paint the walls a shade of brown. One that kinda matches the inside of the sunflower. I wouldn't try going any shade of green or yellow because it may clash with the different colors of sunflowers and your curtains/valence. White walls/brown cupboards