Lower Your Water Heater Temperature

Is there really any point in having your hot water setting so high that you have to cool it down before you can use it?

My tip is turn your hot water temperature down to 104 degrees F. (40 C.) It will save you money, and you have the peace of mind that no one is going to scald themselves.

By Nightjar from Belfast, UK

I, too, am not sure it's worth the saving. I turned mine down but now I have to run the water so long when I need hot water for a shower or just washing out one greasy pot. Water in my are is very expensive. Last month my water bill was higher than my electric bill.

As long as the lower temp is sufficient for cleaning and disinfecting, go for it. I'm apt to agree with Ben Franklin's saying, "A penny saved is a penny earned." Also, the lower temp keeps young children and older folks from getting scalded by accident.

It does not pay to lower it too much, as then you have to run the water until you get hot water--to you are wasting water.

I voted this down, not because I don't agree with the principle of the tip. (I lowered mine years ago.) But 104° is too low. I have been told by countless experts that the correct temperature to lower it to is 120° F. This way no one gets scalded, but the water is still hot enough to wash dishes and do whatever else needs to be done.

November 18, 2009 Flag

Lower your hot water heater's temperature to 120 degrees to save on gas or electricity. If you have a dishwashing machine be sure to consult the manual for it's minimum water temperature requirement.

Lowering Your Water Heater Temperature

They claim that bacteria and viruses thrive in 120 degree water, but are killed in 130 degree water. So, is it worth the savings? (10/27/2007)

By duggie

Better Living Frugal Living TipsNovember 18, 2009
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
man maintaining a water heater
Saving Money on Heating Water
Rice in a cast iron pan.
Cooking Rice at High Altitudes
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater