Saving Money on Heating Water

Category Energy
man maintaining a water heater
There are a number of ways to save energy usage on your water heater, that will still give you the hot water when you need it. This is a guide about saving money on heating water.

We turn off the breaker to the hot water heater. In the summer, we rarely turn it on. The water is always warm. We shower in that warm water. The temperature is perfect for showering in the summer and we wash the dishes by hand in the same warm water.

We turn the breaker on for exactly 15 minutes before using the dishwasher. They are spotless! It's plenty hot! Wash your clothes in the washing machine with warm or cold water. Our clothes look perfectly clean. Try it, you'll be boasting about your lower utility bill!

Source: My inspiration in turning the hot water heater breaker came from talking to our utility company representative. She attended a seminar on electricity conservation. She said she saved a big by doing this.

Is there really any point in having your hot water setting so high that you have to cool it down before you can use it?

My tip is turn your hot water temperature down to 104 degrees F. (40 C.) It will save you money, and you have the peace of mind that no one is going to scald themselves.

By Nightjar from Belfast, UK

In Alaska, you pretty much have to fend for yourself. I've been doing this for years, and I thought I should pass along this tip for free hot water, especially when the pipes are frozen (as they are here, a LOT). Paint your old milk jugs and glass jars with black spray paint, then fill with water and leave in the sun for hot water by the end of a sunny day!

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

When my old hot water heater broke, the unit went but the tank was still good. I didn't throw it out but I used it for a reserve tank.

That way when it called for hot water, the new water coming into my tank wasn't ice cold, therefore it didn't need as much gas or electricity to heat it up. This saved money, especially in the winter months.

By Charlie

This is a guide about using a water heater timer. There are times of the day and night when you do not use hot water. A timer can turn off the heater when you do not need it, and save you money.

Using a Water Heater Timer

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Lower your hot water heater's temperature to 120 degrees to save on gas or electricity. If you have a dishwashing machine be sure to consult the manual for it's minimum water temperature requirement.

Answers:

Lowering Your Water Heater Temperature

They claim that bacteria and viruses thrive in 120 degree water, but are killed in 130 degree water. So, is it worth the savings? (10/27/2007)

By duggie