Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipes

Sugar works as a great base for an exfoliator. Exfoliation is an important step to keeping your skin looking young and vibrant. This page contains recipes for homemade sugar scrubs.

July 13, 2011 Flag

I know most of you have heard of sugar scrubs as a facial, so I thought I would try a homemade version. I put about a tablespoon of sugar in my hand and add any lotion on top of it, then rub it onto my face and neck for about a minute or as long as you like. Rinse well. My face and neck feel so soft and looks smoother.

By stronium from Grayson, KY

Top Comment

Sugar and olive oil works great on my feet.

March 17, 2003 Flag
Face Scrub from the Kitchen

I have discovered the most amazing face & body scrub straight from my own kitchen! Take a 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and 1 Tbsp. of any extract (I've tried vanilla and mint - but not together!). Mix all ingredients, jump in the shower, wet your skin, massage the scrub into your skin and rinse. The sugar removes all the dead skin and all that remains is soft skin from the olive oil. I've even used it on my face and lips (don't rub too hard) and my face looks and feels amazing.

Don't be concerned about olive oil on your face - it's one of the most natural oils and won't clog your pores. I love using the vanilla for Saturday nights and peppermint for mornings. You can use any scent you want! Experiment and enjoy!

By Ricki from Westfield, MA

I've been an esthetician for over six years and we have used this scrub at my place of employment for as long as I've been there it is great for your skin however not for use on face! I do not recommend putting it on the face even if you rub gently because the tissue on your face is thinner and more delicate it will cause premature aging and puts you in a higher risk of sun spots and even skin cancer because of the agents in the olive oil when its under your skin as with any oil type product the sun is attracted to it. I recommend keeping it on the body everyone.

For the person asking about oily skin: I have oily skin and love olive oil. It soaks in fast, and doesn't clog pores. It's great for feet, elbows, and cuticles, as well. I put a Tbls in a new bottle of hair conditioner, too. Shake well before every use. It tames frizz, and makes even my fine, limp hair look better than ever.

February 24, 2012 Flag

I decided to try a brown sugar scrub, what a treat! I didn't think I would like it and I am glad I tried it.

March 21, 2007 Flag

Instead of paying for expensive facial dermabrasion scrubs, I use fine granulated sugar! Pour your usual amount of your favorite facial cleanser into the palm of your hand, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar, rub hands together, then wash/scrub your face gently.

August 25, 2011 Flag

I use lemon juice and sugar (try not to lick your face). Mix together and gently rub on your face. Let stay on about 15 minutes, and then rinse with warm water. It will lighten age spots and freckles.

January 3, 2008 Flag

I used an empty jar of mushrooms as a container for a brown sugar scrub. The scrub recipe was brown sugar, baby oil, and body soap.

Brown Sugar Scrub

January 26, 2006 Flag

For a good clean face, dip a cotton ball into olive oil and a bit of white sugar.

May 7, 2008 Flag

For Mother's Day, I am making my mom and mother-in-law a homemade sugar scrub as part of their gifts. They are easy to make, economical, and much healthier than store bought scrubs. Here is the recipe:

February 28, 2013 Flag

This guide is about homemade hand scrub recipes. When cleaning hands, you sometimes need some scrubbing power.

Homemade Hand Scrub

October 28, 2012 Flag

This guide is about homemade body scrubs. Outstanding exfoliates don't have to be expensive when formulated at home.

Homemade Body Scrub

August 11, 2010 Flag

I just wanted to say many thanks for the help with my soap making using the Melt and Pour. I have made some and they are great, so many thanks for sharing. I have another request now.

I have made a body scrub using brown sugar, baby oil, aloe vera, and vitamin E. The problem I found with this is it is so oily. Can you use water and half oil? Many thanks.

Helen xx

By Helen from U.K

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have always just used equal parts of white sugar and virgin olive oil. I just mix it in my hand and if I run out, I mix more. I think you will find this a nice alternative. Give it a try, you only have about .01 to lose!

You definitely can use some water! I make a scrub with olive oil, water, brown sugar and a couple drops of vanilla. The water will mix OK even though there is oil. Typically one typically mixes up the scrub a little before using it anyway so there should be no issues with it separating. :)

August 19, 2011 Flag

I use a loofah to scrub my dry skin off and then I start with a sugar and olive oil scrub. How many times may I do this?

By Elizabeth from Las Vegas, NV

One to two times a week at the most, or it will irritate your skin. I have found also that using sea salt instead of sugar works better because the salt won't melt and make you need more, as well as it doesn't attract ants.

August 11, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have a homemade recipe for a sugar scrub?

Sabrina from Council, N.C.

Answers:

Homemade Sugar Scrub

I use olive oil and mix it with enough sugar to create a paste. Before adding the sugar, however, I add essential oils to the olive oil. My favorite is a citrus (grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, or orange) mixed with a drop or 2 of peppermint or spearmint. I love the combination, but you could use whatever you like. Be cautious with peppermint, it is very potent. (08/06/2008)

By Tracy

Homemade Sugar Scrub

Make a thick paste using brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. It's a bit smelly, but it makes a wonderful face scrub. I use it every day. (08/16/2008)

By Jocelyn

August 6, 2008 Flag

If you want to treat yourself, your girlfriends or even your daughters to a special pamper session, then this recipe is for you.

Take your favorite liquid bath soap - 1/4 cup, and supersaturate it with sugar. (Add enough sugar so that the mixture is no longer a liquid).

Set up your table with a basin of warm water, towels and your favorite hand cream. Place hands in the warm water for about 5 minutes, then using the sugar scrub, massage the hands, fingers and even the wrists. Once done, rinse with warm water and then massage hands with your favorite hand cream. (I suggest using a cream with glycerin).

You will see that your hands are so very soft that you will want to share this with all your friends.

By Karyn from Ottawa, Canada

Answers:

Homemade Sugar Scrub

Make plenty of this...get in the shower (before you turn on the water) rub this mixture all over then rinse. You will be amazed how your skin feels. You can also mix the sugar with a thick body cream. (12/04/2007)

By Kay

Homemade Sugar Scrub

I have done this sugar scrub but instead of using body wash I used canola oil. Any oil will do but it makes your skin so soft. It did wonders on my rough heels. (12/16/2007)

By TXBetty

Homemade Sugar Scrub

Hi,
After a gardening session I pour a capful of olive oil into my upturned palm then add about a teaspoon of sugar. I rub gently especially around the nails and when I rinse off my hands are very clean and moisturized. (02/12/2008)

By north east england

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FacialsAugust 18, 2011
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Homemade Exfoliator
Homemade Exfoliator Recipes
Salt and Herbs in Wooden Bowls
Homemade Facial Scrubs
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎉
🎄