Help With a Lost USPS Package

I sent out the package on 2/28/11, but today is 3/29/11 and my friend still did not receive it yet? I filed a complaint to USPS. They said that there is nothing they can do, because the package was out using flat rate first class. They didn't sell me the insurance and confirmation for tracking. What should I do?

By yoyo from CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

They don't automatically sell you insurance when you mail a package. You have to tell them you want it insured for the value of the items in the package. I don't know what you can do, but I do know when you want a package insured you have to ask for it, and if you want a tracking number or something like that you also have ask for certain types of shipping.

There is nothing more to be done. Just hope that it may turn up at some point. I worked with the USPs for a while during Christmas and was surprised at the number of packages that came through with poor address labels that fell off or poorly packaged boxes that fell apart. None of these packages could be delivered. Not saying this was your case but mailing letters or packages one should always ASK for insurance and registered. That way the package can be traced and the recipient will sign for the package and a receipt will be forwarded to you.

I learned the hard way when dealing with USPS. Always, get insurance, delivery confirmation or the service that will give you tracking numbers. I prefer that because you can track the progress online.

I sent a scarce 1795 silver U. S. half-dollar to ANACS in CO. to be graded on March 10th insured for $1K and w/delivery confirmation. Tracking revealed it got to the sort center in Kent, WA. and no further. I'd much rather have the coin back, but I put in a claim as it's been over a month and no further movement or action has been noted. Someone I know who works for USPS strongly suspects it was "pilfered" (stolen) by some USPS employee at the sort center.

This company is the worst. Try a different company.

Answer

I sent a small Flat Rate box to someone in California on 4/16. I dropped it like I always have in the drop box inside the post office. As of today 4/30 the post office still hasn't scanned the package. I went back to the post office and they weren't helpful. The supervisor was "surprised" the package hasn't been scanned and they said they didn't have it. What do I do?

Long story short I have someone who sends me beads to make up and I send them back to her. She has never asked me to insure it for a certain amount, but I insure for $30.00. When she called me about not receiving the package she was upset saying it was worth more. I need to find this package. Any ideas?

By Marie S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - I hope your package has been delivered but in case it has not - here are some questions/comments.

It appears that you are printing on line as you say that you "dropped" it in the drop at the post office.

If that is the case then you have good records of printing the label but unfortunately you do not have a record of the package ever reaching the post office.

This always presents a problem as your insurance may not cover this parcel at all. How could the post office pay insurance if they have no record of the package ever being in their system? (That could be a recipe for many, many scams of the post office system.)

Truthfully, the post office does not lose very much mail especially considering the amount that passes through their system each day.

Maybe you could try letting your postman pick up your packages in the future?

Your carrier will scan your package when he picks it up and you can check on your item the same evening or next day. This works great for me - I just place packages on my porch and leave my carrier a note as to where packages are located. Never had a problem in over 3 years.

This may not be possible everywhere but why not give it a try? If there is problem with this then you can call for a pickup (24 hour notice I think). They will pick up even one package if it is priority mail. But - carrier is still best idea if possible.

I hope you have good luck with this one but maybe try something better in the future.

Good luck..

Read More Answers...

I sent 2.5 oz of pure .9999 gold in a cash4gold envelop. It had delivery conformation on it, and I told the postal employee that I did not feel comfortable dropping it in a mail box. I told the clerk that it was $4,000 worth of gold and he offered me insurance that I could not afford at the time.

The tracking number shows that the package was accepted at the Woburn, MA facility on August 30th at 10:49 am and that is the last update. The worst thing is the gold is my father in-law's. What can I do? I started a claim and that doesn't sound too promising at this point.

By Sam

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have him go to the post office where it was delivered. It is possible that the envelope was damaged and the contents were separated. Being that it was gold it's possible that it was taken by an employee, janitor, etc. But most post offices keep envelopes and boxes full of damaged mail and its contents. A few months ago I received an empty envelope and when I went to the post office, they were able to find most of the contents. You might also fill out a police report, though I don't know if it would do any good.

Read More Answers...

I sent a Kindle by Parcel Select through the U. S Postal Service, July 21 with a return label and tracking label. They have not received the Kindle and are now trying to charge me. What can I do?

By Philip

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi.. Parcel select is the slow boat method. It hasn't had full time to get there. Give it a good two weeks. Hope this helps. Cindy

Read More Answers...

I'm from India and I had cleared my CCNA exam, but the certificate has to be sent from United States. Cisco is telling that my certificate has already been sent to me, but I had not received it yet.

They have not given me any receipt number to track my certificate. So if any one knows how to get a receipt number I would appreciate your help. It was dispatched on the 16th of March 2011. It has been almost 4 months.

By Guddu from India

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If possible ask for another to be sent and have them send it signature required if possible.

Read More Answers...

I mailed my package and my sister never received it. Now I don't have the tracking number, but I have a receipt. Is there anything I could do having a receipt?

By Kate from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do you mean that you did have a tracking number, but lost it? The receipt will have that number on it. Look it up yourself on USPS.com to see how far it got, before it was lost. Then take the receipt to the post office so they can take it from there.

If you didn't get a tracking number, you could ask them to try to trace it, but it's a long shot. At least you'd have the date it was mailed, which would give them a little info to go on.

Good luck!

How do I get help with a USPS lost package?

By Helayne from Monroe, NJ

Help With a Lost USPS Package

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS. (01/31/2011)

By Patty Lynn

Help With a Lost USPS Package

All you can do is contact the USPS and explain the problem. If it wasn't insured or sent with a tracking number I doubt there is anything you or the USPS can do. The package could be anywhere including stolen by someone in the USPS. (02/01/2011)

By foxrun41

Help With a Lost USPS Package

If you have anything really important to ship out use Fed EX or UPS.

I went to the post office to ship out an item that had to be there in a certain amount of days and I paid extra for that. They told me that there was no guarantee it would be there when I wanted! Then why did I pay extra? The post office is horrible. No wonder they are bankrupt. I don't use them for anything important. (02/04/2011)

By DorothyNYC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

On 9/1/10 I ordered a package from China. They shipped it on 9/2/10 it came to a NY PO. I call them with my tracking # and they said they sent the package back on 9/8/10. Then on 9/25/10 I received a letter from the USPS saying that they have no record of the package plus China did not receive the package as of that date. Can someone please help or advise me on what to do? Thanks.

By Henry from Jersey City, NJ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I returned a starter, to Sears, by Priority Mail, that would not fit my mower. I lost my Post Office receipt. Now they will not return my $189.00. What can I do?

By Beth from Jacksonville, TX

Help With a Lost USPS Package

If you paid the postage on your credit card, contact the credit card company and they can give you a receipt that may help track your package or prove you mailed it back. (05/08/2010)

By Amy3e

Help With a Lost USPS Package

Call the postmaster general in both zip codes. It took me 6 weeks to get them to find a lost package, but it turned up. They claimed the person opened the wrong mailbox and it was where it should have been all the time. Not true. It was beat up and dirty, but it was found. Call them every day. Place a lost package claim. Call your post office. Then their post office and keep calling. They will eventually find it. If you don't pester them they will stop looking. Call every day to see if it was found. Tell them you are going to file a complaint of negligence. They hate that. There is no excuse for lost packages. (05/11/2010)

By Ann P

Help With a Lost USPS Package

Also keep nagging Sears. There is a good possibility they received it and misplaced it or put it back without crediting you. Keep calling. (05/11/2010)

By Ann P

Help With a Lost USPS Package

Always get a "Delivery Confirmation" when sending something like that. It cost a little more, very little, but it's worth it. It's proof that it was delivered to them, and it's not as expensive as the certified mail that needs a signature. Go to the post office where you sent it and see if they can offer you any help at all. You didn't say the package was lost, just that you can't prove you sent it back. Next time, take it back to your local Sears store. Good luck. (05/11/2010)

By Stngray

Help With a Lost USPS Package

Agree with Ann P's post on making yourself heard at the beginning and ending destination post offices; we sent an out-of-state relative a Priority package that took "two months" to make it less than 500 miles and this was with Delivery Confirmation and tracking, and not during the holiday rush.

My DIL was on the phone every morning, first thing with both post offices for all that time; they got so sick of hearing her that they actually gave her contact numbers for the USPS facilities in-between those points that are sorting centers (good luck finding those contacts on the USPS site or the phone book, it's not happening). In our case, it ended up that the package was "lost" at a sorting facility (scanned and tossed in a corner somewhere), but finally made it home.

I would also agree, too, with getting on Sears to ensure they're not behind on crediting returns.

To be honest, the next time I'm sending anything that needs to be somewhere in a hurry, I'm going with UPS. They automatically insure items up to $100 at no extra cost and I've never, ever had a problem with anything being lost, damaged, or taking the slow boat to get there. In some cases, the cost through them is actually less than the post office.

Good luck. I know how aggravating this is!
(05/12/2010)

By PupperMom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you find a lost package that was mailed in the postal system? I lost my receipt and the Post Office says they can't trace a package without the tracking number. What can I do?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In September, I sent to my daughter in Japan a package important enough for me to insure it. It has not arrived, though. I have stupidly lost the USPS receipt.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I sent a large box to son from Rhode Island to Arizona. It has been seventeen days and USPS will not help at all. What can I do?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need advice regarding an issue with USPS lost package. I sent a 40 lb. package to my friend in Stamford, CT and it's not delivered though it's been a month.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
lost package
Post Office Lost a Package
Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 30, 2011
Finding a Lost Relative, Genealogy Study
Finding a Lost Relative
bacon in a package
Freezing Bacon
A girl who can't find her parents.
Teaching a Child What to Do if They are Lost
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 28, 2016 at 7:08:47 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 341 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.