Detergent Stain on Bernardo Washable Suede Coat

I just washed my Bernardo washable suede coat and when I took it our of the washer there were a few large spots where it looks like the detergent stayed in it.

I tried washing it out by hand and this did not work. I then stuck in back in the washer, but the stains are still there. Does anyone know how to get the stains out? The coat also has stain-guard so I don't understand why the detergent stained it? Help!

Thanks.

Stacy from Connecticut

My guess is when the tag said it was washable it didn't mean it could be put in the washer, but wiped off with a soft, lightly damp cloth. I've never heard of anything suede related being able to toss in the washer before. You might should have taken it to a dry cleaners & asked how they'd clean it before you put it in the washing machine.

bernardo jackets can be washed in the washer. I've had some stains and just had to work them with detergent and a brush, wash out as much of the detergent as possible then rewash.

I did the same thing .... the jacket is ruined ... I have large blotches of stains that look like the dye was bleached out. And in answer to the previous response, the tag says "do not dry clean" ; thus I washed the jacket and it doesn't work.

Before anyone else ruins a jacket, the problem is your detergent. There's a reason they still make Woolite, it's not an "enzymatic" cleaner, like your normal, and especially your high efficiency (HE) detergents. They use enzymes from genes, just like the ones in your body that break down proteins into other things. They splice the code for it into a yeast or a bacteria's DNA to make it produce the enzymes, they then add to your detergent; because the old ones didn't work well in cold water. And we wanted to use cold water to save money.

We can use it now (cold) because they've changed the formula of our laundry detergents by adding enzymes that "break down" stains ("All Temperature" Cheer anyone?). The reason Woolite stays in business is because they still make detergent that does not work by eating proteins. Instead, it uses surfactants, it makes stains too slippery to adhere to the fabrics. Which is why we all need to remember to only use Woolite on wools, silks, and leathers. They are made of proteins, and are ruined by the new detergents that eat them.

I don't know about you, but I'm becoming concerned over the lack of science saying it's safe to put this garbage on our skin. They say it's safe because it's encapsulated and that putting "do not inhale or get on skin" on the label keeps us safe from what they know it can do, but even I didn't know they were THAT serious about Not Touching it, ever. I hand wash clothes with the stuff, who doesn't? Not supposed to use it with too hot of water, either! Turns out the fumes are bad if they travel. Who knew this stuff? I grew up scrubbing floors by hand with Tide. When did laundry detergent get so creepy, coz I didn't get that memo!

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsMarch 17, 2005
Suede Couch
Cleaning Cat Urine From Suede
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Blue Suede Shoes
Removing Mildew on Suede
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 22, 2017 at 7:29:13 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.