CatsPets

Adult Cat Just Started Pooping and Peeing in the Closet

My 7 year old cat just started pooping and peeing in my closet on top of the shoes. Nothing has changed in our environment. He is healthy and has no problems. He had a vet wellness appointment a week prior. He still uses the litter boxes. So I ruled out UTI. I kept him out of my closet for 2 weeks and no accidents. He didn't go in any other closets in the house. Today he broke into the my closet, and pooped and peed! What's wrong with my kitty :-(

The litter box may need to be cleaned more often, the litter may need to be switched out for another one, or you may need a deeper box. Other suggestions are in this article. drsophiayin.com/.../

IF YOU HAVE CHANGED CAT LITTER BRAND ,SOMETIMES THEY DO NOT LIKE A CERTAIN TYPE.YOU WILL NEED TO CHANGE BACK.MAKE SURE THE LITTER BOX IS CLEAN.MAY BE THE LAST TIME YOUR CAT USED THE BOX A LOUD NOISE SCARED HIM.MOVE THE BOX ELSEWHERE.

Hi,

He probably doesn't like the feel of the litter on his feet. I would get rid of the litter, and place a puppy pad in the litter box.

See if he will use the puppy pad. When he is around it, praise him. Be sure to tell him, and point to the closet, that this is a no-no to go in there.

I have my 2 cats trained to either go outside, or go on a piece of plastic in the shower, which I find easier than using kitty litter.

Best of luck!

Blessings,

Robyn

I was a little confused about how you ruled out a UTI. A wellness check may well not have caught it, and intermittent use of the litter box would not really rule it out either. You will need to see your Vet to rule it out. It is a likely culprit. 60% to 70% of the time a litter box issue is caused by illness in the cat.