Advice About Laminate Flooring and Pets

Category Flooring
When deciding to install new flooring one consideration is its suitability if there are pets in your home. This page contains advice about laminate flooring and pets.

I am thinking of putting down wood laminate in my house. Does anyone with cats have this? I am afraid that cat spray/pee may get on the floor and soak down between the crack and stink up my house forever!

Thanks for your help

Kim

Answers

hi, kim! listen, we have a very large family of cats, and i thought that same thing about the flooring, but did not listen to myself and we put down the wood flooring, like pergo, in my living, dining, hall and bedroom. a big, costly mistake i must say for us anyway, the flooring is warping very bad, and i totally hate it. i found the only thing that the cats seem to be able to live with, as well as us, is the vinal flooring, the good thick kind, we did put that in our kitchen, and it has stood the time with the cats and us also. maybe others have had better luck, but i will not ever do that with wood flooring again! our home is the cats home too and i think the vinal flooring looks just as good as what we had down in the first place! hope this has helped you with your question!

Assume that if your cat pees or sprays now in the house, he/she will continue to do that on the new floor also. I begged to get the floor laminate in my living room and I deeply regret it. Here's why: I have 2 dogs, a cat, and a daycare in my home. I have alot of traffic in the living room and did not worn down carpet. But the laminate is really hard to keep looking nice. I sweep and mop daily, but there's a catch. You cannot ever walk barefoot on it or the oil from your clean or dirty foot leaves a print on the floor and the same goes for the animals. Also, I have to sweep, mop and vacuum the room because I have an 8X10 rug in there, so it's like cleaning the floor 3 times a day. AND....the worst part is that I have to use a clorox mop (some use a swiffer) because a rag mop or sponge mop is way to wet and streaks the floor. The clorox mop is the only thing that does not streak the floor, but if you have a large area to mop, you have to change the wet wipe often. AND........you have to mop in the same direction as the grain of the wood is going or it streaks! I clean houses too and of course they all have floor laminate too! And, yes, we had a water leak naturally, 3 months after the floor installation, and the floor surface bubbles like a piece of sauder furniture when it gets wet. It's been one big huge nightmare for me!

Hi Kim,
Wood laminate flooring is just like real wood floors only a bit thinner.I'm not sure if it is actual wood planks or if it's pressed but in any case if you have cats that spray{pee}in the house now they will continue to do so and yes the flooring will absorb the pee.This may take a while but in time it will damage the flooring with stains also,not to mention it smells pretty bad too! Go with a good linoleum or vinyl and even with cats it will last a lifetime if laid properly.

I have recently bought a house with laminate floors.
It covers the whole downstairs.I was worried about it when we bought a new puppy. To my surprise the first time the puppy had an accident, it bubbled up on top of the floor and didn't soak in. I'm sure it must have some kind of scotch gaurd on it. I would check into this. I also bought a Hoover floormate.Well worth the money. It vacum, cleans then dries your floor. Love it. Works great!

Be more concerned about the cat scratching your laminate floor. I have a cat annd laminate floor in my kitchen and my cat slides on the floor and scratchs the laminate.

thank you for saving me lots of money,, I was going to buy laminate yesterday, I have a diabetic cat that pees everywhere when his sugar is high. I cannot live with my carpet though. NOt sure what to do!!! ( BUT THANKS)

I wouldn't consider the laminate flooring if your cat pees in the house. The floor will damage with any prolonged liquid spill. Our dishwasher leaked and although we cleaned the water up instantly, the water got up underneath the planks and warped our floor.

Wow, thank you for telling me about laminate flooring. I have cats that pee and have to go barefoot constantly due to a foot problem. I was getting ready to replace the carpet with laminate.

I need any advice or suggestions concerning laminate flooring. We are planning to replace the living room and dining room floors with laminate, but we have a dog and 2 cats and wonder about scratches, etc. Could anyone tell me of their experience with this type of flooring? Thank you.

By Marlene from Billerica, MA