CollectiblesConsumer Advice

Age and Value of a New Domestic Treadle Machine S#725846

I am looking for the year of manufacture. Any information available would be wonderful. I picked it up and the woman's grandmother was the owner. I just want to know more about it and maybe a value.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

Wow! This is a beautiful machine! Most of these old machines have a serial number on them. It would be on an engraved plate somewhere on the backside or underside. Most of these companies have a website with the information. If you look up the serial number you should be able to discover the year of manufacture, the number, and also maybe get an idea of the value. For example: I bought a similar machine from someone near me. It had belonged to the lady's grandmother also.

On the backside of the machine I found a plate with the serial number. My particular machine is a singer, so I looked up Singer serial number xxxxxx, and found that my machine was manufactured in 1912 and was the 123rd machine made in that year. I also found some useful info on another website that helped me realize the value of the machine and I found that I could purchase a new belt for reasonable and rubber wheel for the shuttle winder mechanism from a company called Wawak that I get sewing supplies from.

Best Answer

I just found out that you have the first Domestic Treadle Sewing machine made by this company. They manufactured this model in 1863 to 1870. When the machine first sold it cost $60. This was a very expensive machine at this time. The machine has the following features on it:

high arm
rectangular base
vibrating shuttle
leaf tension
no clutch release knob
bobbin winder on end of machine under hand wheel
stitch length control knob behind pillar
no access plate on the front or rear of the machine
back clamping feet
SN located on front slide plate

It is a shame how low people are selling these machines for. One person just sold the machine without the cabinet for $19 and another was listed for $125.

If you'd like a bit more history on this machine and the company I would read the article by Alex. He is considered one of the foremost leaders in vintage and antique machines. http://www.sewa … ng%20machine.htm

They vary based on condition. These are about 100 years old. The one i saw on eBay was asking $125

Look it over for numbers and a name you need the manufacturer.Then go on e-bay too find the worth.