Finding the Value of a New Domestic Treadle Machine?

Age and Value of a New Domestic Treadle Machine S#725846 - treadle sewing machineI am looking for the year of manufacture. Any information available would be wonderful. I picked it up and the woman's grandmother was the owner. I just want to know more about it and maybe a value.

Age and Value of a New Domestic Treadle Machine S#725846

Answers

Bronze Answer Medal for All Time! 242 Answers
Best Answer

Wow! This is a beautiful machine! Most of these old machines have a serial number on them. It would be on an engraved plate somewhere on the backside or underside. Most of these companies have a website with the information. If you look up the serial number you should be able to discover the year of manufacture, the number, and also maybe get an idea of the value. For example: I bought a similar machine from someone near me. It had belonged to the lady's grandmother also. On the backside of the machine I found a plate with the serial number.

My particular machine is a singer, so I looked up Singer serial number xxxxxx, and found that my machine was manufactured in 1912 and was the 123rd machine made in that year. I also found some useful info on another website that helped me realize the value of the machine and I found that I could purchase a new belt for reasonable and rubber wheel for the shuttle winder mechanism from a company called Wawak that I get sewing supplies from.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

I just found out that you have the first Domestic Treadle Sewing machine made by this company. They manufactured this model in 1863 to 1870. When the machine first sold it cost $60. This was a very expensive machine at this time. The machine has the following features on it:

high arm
rectangular base
vibrating shuttle
leaf tension
no clutch release knob
bobbin winder on end of machine under hand wheel
stitch length control knob behind pillar
no access plate on the front or rear of the machine
back clamping feet
SN located on front slide plate

It is a shame how low people are selling these machines for. One person just sold the machine without the cabinet for $19 and another was listed for $125.

If you'd like a bit more history on this machine and the company I would read the article by Alex. He is considered one of the foremost leaders in vintage and antique machines. www.sewalot.com/domestic%20sewing%20machine.htm

Answer this Question

3 More Questions

Was wondering how much it is worth and how old it was. It works great and I have the original instruction pamphlet and attachments for it as well.

An old sewing machine.

The storage compartment under a sewing machine.

Answers

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

There were thousands of Domestic sewing machines produced from 1869-1924 and maybe later as the company was taken over by White and they still produced Domestic for a few years.

I believe your machine may have been made between 1910-1920 but without the information/pictures that member PGHgirl mentioned no one can tell you very much more.
For value we would have to have several pictures of the full the machine (front and back is best), especially the cabinet (painted green?) as the cabinet (and condition of cabinet) will have an impact on value.
Where you live may also have an impact on value as these are very heavy machines and many sellers offer only 'local pick only' and no shipping.
You should also post a picture of the instruction booklet and pictures of any other paperwork, numbers (numbers may be under the sewing plate) and provide any knowledge available about your machine. Many times the more you know about the machine the higher the value. These are also the kind of pictures you will need if/when posted for sale.

There is a lot of information online about the Domestic Sewing Machine Co but you can send a picture to any of these companies and they can most likely help you identify it. You have to join sites (free) before asking questions. They will provide information about the machine but will not comment on value.
But if you return here with some pictures and information, someone here will help you find a fair value amount for your machine.
sewalot.com/sewalot_index.htm
www.fiddlebase.com/.../
sewalot.com/domestic%20sewing%20machine.htm
ismacs.net/.../home.html

This is an excellent sewing machine forum site that offers help with all types of problems.
www.quiltingboard.com/.../

Answer this Question

I am hoping someone can help me identify the age of this Domestic treadle sewing machine. I can't seem to find another one like it. It has a strange plate by the foot pad and I'm not sure, but I think the serial number is 778.

Then without skipping a space it drops half a line and there are four more numbers O581. I can use all the help I can get.Age of a Domestic Treadle Sewing Machine - old treadle machine

Age of a Domestic Treadle Sewing Machine

Answers

Hi,

I found a similar one, to yours, that is dated 1870. Looking at your serial number, the last four numbers are the date, which is written backwards.

Since the last four numbers of your machine are 0581, then, read backwards, this would give you the year 1850. So I think your machine is from 1850.

Here is the link I found that has a similar machine and table:

www.etsy.com/.../1860-rare-vintage-sewing-machine...

Blessings,

Robyn

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

Neat item!! I love old sewing machines. Something I learned recently is that history centers and the Smithsonian often have catalogued old advertisements where you can learn about items.

I don't know if they have a lot on this machine, but when I put the phrase "Domestic sewing" into the Smithsonain search it came up with hits:

library.si.edu/.../domestic%20sewing

Do you have a history center in your town? Pittsburgh has an awesome one. I hope to get there soon to see what they have in their archives in relation to old advertisements for a project I want to do.

If I learn more, I will post back. Meanwhile,post back what you learn from this and the other sources out there.

Answer this Question

I am looking for the age and value of an old Domestic sewing machine I got from an aunt. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I am still not sure.

I found pictures of similar machines but never with 3 drawers?

An old fashioned sewing machine.

The marking on an old sewing machine.

A marking on the bottom of a sewing machine.

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

This one is well over 100 years old and asking $100 www.ebay.com/.../381658729949?hash=item58dca20ddd...

I see that you have your machine listed for sale on eBay with an asking price $299.96 so apparently you feel this is a good price for this particular machine.
www.ebay.com/.../184604375934?hash=item2afb473b7e...

Most of the Domestic sewing machines were very similar and this comment was made:
"You could look at a sewing machine of the 1940's and see the Domestic Sewing Machine of the 1880's."
There some differences in the treadle base but it would take genuine antique collector to tell you which year each was made as they would go by every number and style of treadle. These machines had a serial number, model number, along with the patent numbers.

I did find another '3 drawer' listed for sale that appears to be identical to yours: Asking price; $250.00
www.ebay.com/.../154208662242?hash=item23e78d72e2...

vatican.com/.../

This one is very similar as the treadle itself is the same (not the table).
www.ebay.com/.../124509242313?hash=item1cfd5443c9...

I did not find an identical machine that has sold even in the past several years so if your machine or the other machine like yours sells then you will have the 'current value'.
Location determines a big chunk of the value so hopefully one of these machines resides in a 'good' location for antique treadle machines.
I found this very similar machine that sold in 2018 for $50. Location could have lowered the value?
offerup.com/.../

This site has a lot of information about the Domestic but they do not answer inquiries.

You can always take your questions to a sewing machine forum or to Isaac's site and see if they can provide the answers.
www.quiltingboard.com/.../

Answer this Question
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesJanuary 3, 2018
👔
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-a-New-Domestic-Treadle-Machine.html