Akita Breed Information and Photos

Category Akita
These intelligent, fearless dogs need a firm hand and positive training beginning when they are puppies to discourage aggressive behavior. With proper training they can be good pets and accepting of children. This is a page about Akita breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Akita is a large, powerful, dog with a broad head, erect ears, muscular body and a large curled tail. It has a strong courageous spirit and is an excellent hunter.

Group: Working Group

Purpose of Breed: Bred by Japanese nobleman living in exile in the province of Akita, on Honshu island, the dogs were bred and used in pairs to hunt dangerous game like bears.

Country of Origin: Japan

Average Size: 75-110 lbs and 24-28 inches tall (at shoulder)

Color(s): Any color including white, brindle or pinto. Sometimes have masks or a blaze.

Coat Type: The Akita has a double coat-a thick, dense soft undercoat and a longer, straight-standing outer coat.

Grooming: The coat of the Akita is easy to maintain. It requires regular brushing but infrequent baths. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: The Akita is an athletic dog that requires a great deal of exercise in order to be a good companion. They should have access to a fenced yard.

Temperament: The Akita is alert, active, friendly and independent. If not socialized early, this breed can become aggressive toward other dogs.

Common Ailments: Hip dysplasia, gastric torsion and eye problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-12 years

Trivia: There is a spiritual significance attached to the Akita; when a child is born in Japan, the proud family will usually receive a small statue of an Akita signifying health, happiness, and a long life.

More Information: The Akita Club of America

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Your Pet's Age
2 years old

Your Pet's Breed
Akita

How and when did you get your pet?
I got Lily about 2 years ago. She was just a little ball of fur. My husband bought her for me because I had lost my Akita about a year prior. Her name was Abby. She was about 13 years old. She was way beyond my best friend. Lily looks so much like her. She has Abby's spirit! She is my pride and joy. My husband had to go to central Indiana to find her. There are not very many Akita breeders.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Fall is her favorite season. Lily loves to run and play. She loves any kind of ball. All of which she bursts instantaneously! She also loves belly rubs. She is always happy and must be the center of attention!

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
She is a gentle giant, a one in a million. She definitely makes our family complete. I can't even begin to imagine life without her. It's almost as though she knows the loss I suffered with Abby. She is very intelligent and has a great disposition.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds AkitaAugust 20, 2013
😎
🌻
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Akita-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html