Alaskan Malamute Breed Information and Photos

A large, powerful dog with a muscular body, erect ears, thick coat and large curly tail. It is one of the oldest breeds of Arctic sled dogs. This guide contains Alaskan malamute breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Alaskan Malamute is a large, powerful dog with a well-muscled body, erect ears, a coarse, thick coat and large curly tail. It is one of the oldest breeds of Arctic sled dogs.

Group: Working Group

Purpose of Breed: First used to pull sleds by a nomadic native Alaskan tribe called the Malhemuts, the breed was bred for stamina rather than speed.

Country of Origin: USA, but believed to have descended from the boreal wolf originating in 3000B.C.

Average Size: 85-125 lbs and 23 to 28 inches tall (at shoulder)

Color(s): Ranging from light gray shades to shades of black, sable and red. With the exception of solid white, the colors are usually in combinations and splashed throughout the body. White is always the predominant color on the underbody, parts of the legs, feet and face markings. There is often a white blaze on the face or collar or a spot on the nape.

Coat Type: Thick, coarse outer coat and a dense, oily and woolly undercoat.

Grooming: Malamutes are prone to heavy shedding and need a good brushing several time per week, daily when they are shedding. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Alaskan Malamutes need lots of space. A house with a large fenced yard with some shade is essential for this dog breed. This breed prefers the cold, but can live in a temperate climate if properly cared for.

Temperament: A friendly, good natured dog breed. Good with children and strangers. This strong-willed, independent dog breed tends to be very stubborn and early obedience training is a must.

Common Ailments: Hip dysplasia, chondrodysplasia and eye problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-12 years

Trivia: Early Arctic explorers used Alaskan Malamutes to haul sleds on expeditions to the North Pole. In the summer, the dogs carried packs weighing as much as 50 pounds for up to 20 miles per day.

More Information: Alaskan Malamute Club of America, Inc.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
6 yrs old

Your Pet's Breed
Malamute

How and when did you get your pet?
I was upset because my black Malamute had passed away at the age of 15. The TV repair service came out again and he was our regular worker. He had a litter of puppies at his home, which I didn't know. He saw I was crying off and on over the loss of my dog. He didn't say anything, but about a week later he pulled up to my home and said he understood how upset I was over the loss of my dog. So he handed me this puppy and said I hope this boy will help with your loss. I named him General and he helped me through my loss. I love this dog so much. The repairman, Chris, and his wife Megan have now become good friends. I could not have thanked them enough for their timing in giving me General.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
As long as he is by my side, he is happy and so am I.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
My adult son laughs and jokes saying you love this dog more than me. Due to when my son hugs me, General will try to get in between, then he has to have his hug.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

This is Myatuk , he is a 7 year old Alaskan Malamute, that as you can see enjoys warmer climates as well. We got him as a 9 week old puppy and have spent many hours training each other. Like most mals he isn't into games and formal obedience but is very clever. His favorite thing is going for runs in the woods and stopping in the daisies for a rest.

By Dira

Dog laying a a bed of daisies.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes