AdviceHealth & Beauty

Almost Ate a Slug by Mistake

Long story short, I had some food outside and went to eat it - it was dark and I didn't know the thing had crawled in there (clearly). It was in my mouth like 10 seconds at most when I realized what it was. Then I spit it out and rinsed my mouth with vinegar and mouthwash and the oregano oil diluted in water.

So yeah I didn't eat it per se, but it did spend time in my mouth. I am very worried now that I will die or get sick from some terrible thing. There's a bad parasite called rat lungworm that slugs and snails spread, but that is in areas where I don't live (Hawaii, the Deep South). And like I said I never actually swallowed it. But my question is am I in danger? Even though I didn't eat it and rinsed my mouth out well afterward, does it seem like I will be OK? I'm afraid to eat or drink anything now.

Sorry if I grossed everyone out, but I'm really concerned, lol.

Also PSA: be careful when you eat out of doors in the dark.

I wouldnt worry if I were you.

I saw the info put out the other day by CDC on that.

I hope you're doing okay today...are you??

It's 'iffy' but probably highly unlikely for two reasons. The snail may not of been infected at all, and you rinsed out your mouth quickly. But, if you feel odd or off at all, call your doctor right away.

theconversation.com/kids-put-down-the-snails-they-could...

Oy!! Sending up big prayers for ongoing good health and no buggy ill effects!

I think we all have a yucky bug food story! I have 2, which both involve worms!!! Squirm!!!!!

They are great to tell to kids as a lesson learned!! At least the kiddos in our world love gross bug stories!! As Springsteen says, "some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny!"

Blessings!!