Aluminum Lid Stuck to Iron Pan

While cooking sausages in an iron pan, I put an aluminum lid on the pan. The lid is stuck on the pan now. I tried cooling the pan, which released pressure, but the lid is still stuck.

How do I remove lid?

By mtm

Sometimes a very thin paring knife tip will release the pressure inside. You could also put it in the freezer. Things tend to shrink up in there and the lid, being aluminum will freeze faster than the cast iron. Good luck!

this worked

The paring knife worked perfectly!! Kudos, dinner is saved

Anonymous

Yes my steel vessel and lid were unseparable after all the water boiled away, creating a hot vacuum. Placed it in freezer for an hour only, and the lid slid off!

Anonymous

worked perfectly! Thank you!!

put it back on the stove, put some ice cubes around the lid, as soon as they start melting you should be able to lift it up

Heat the pan again and quickly remove the lid. If you have to, put a cold, wet cloth on the lid. The heat should expand the bottom (the pan) and the lid should lift out.

Don't leave it while the pan is heating. If you wait for the lid to get hot, you'll still have the same problem. Start testing the lift as soon as you start heating the pan and continue until it comes off.

Anonymous

This helped. Thank you!

Anonymous

Thank you, worked great success!

This worked, thank you!

Anonymous

It worked thank you. It popped up and scared me but it worked

Anonymous

Heyyy!!! Great!!! Advise!!! It worked in 5 seconds.... medium heat and my own hand... I just put a wet kitchen cloth on top of the lid!!!!

I had looked everywhere for advises on how to and tried for a couple of days.... only this worked! Thank you!

Thank you so much.... You save me a dinner .. I have cooked a curry for first time and the pan got stuck... Cooking is not easy

Oh my gosh it worked - Thank You !! I wet a cloth and put on lid and put it back on the stove off the lid came very quickly was having chicken and rice and - have never had this happen before - thanks again for your help !!

Anonymous

It works, Thank you...

Anonymous

It really wasn't helpful , it really didnt work, the lid is still stuck on my pan. What do I do??!!!

I really need to make food for my kids but I can't .It was stuck since yesterday and we haven't even eaten anything for a whole day!

Anonymous

It worked! Thanks!

This has never happened before. It was made worse by it being Calphalon Skillet with a Glass Lid with a metal rim. It took at least 45 minutes to get it to release.
After finally putting in freezer after trying other tips. I noticed a bit of liquid was oozing out around one side of the lid.....I got the paring knife and kept pushing it carefully in.......OMGoodness it finally pulled away.
Thee worst experience!!!

Thee worst experience!!!

Heat the pan on a hob, and turn the pan upside down over a sink and keep hitting with a hard object e.g rolling pin. Repeat this process.

Unreal. Worked perfectly. Thanks

Anonymous

Thank you!!!

Worked first time. Only one, medium strength, strike required. Can't thank you enough!

This worked when all the other suggestions didnt! Thank you!

Heating the pan , turning it upside down and hitting it with a rolling pin worked immediately! Thank you! I was desperate.