Apple Butter Recipes

Category Jam & Jelly
Apple butter is a delicious spread you can use in place of other jams and jellies; it can also be used in cooking. This page contains apple butter recipes.

Claire Bush0 found this helpful

Throughout history, apples have been touted as a cure-all for everything from fertility to digestion. With more than 7,500 varieties, there's always a crop in season! Apples are versatile, too. When temperatures drop, there's nothing like the warm, comforting aroma of simmering apple butter to brighten the gloom of a dark winter day. Try this easy crockpot version that doesn't skimp on taste.

Note: McIntosh and Rome Beauty apples (like the single one in the picture) are good choices for this recipe.

Crockpot Apple Butter

Slice 3 quarts apples thinly and place in crockpot. Cook overnight on low. In the morning, add 3 cups sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp cloves. Turn heat to low and cook 8-10 hours.

Want to try the old-fashioned way? This apple butter bakes in the oven.

Traditional Apple Butter

Ingredients

Directions

Mix all ingredients in large heavy ovenproof pan, then bake at 350 degrees F for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. (Can also be cooked on top of stove over low heat; watch for scorching). Pour into jars and seal.

• 15 or so medium sized tart apples (four or five lbs.) - Macintosh are nice.
  • 4 cups apple juice or cider
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 2 cups sugar

Directions:

Wash, core and quarter apples. It is not necessary to peel them. Place the apples in a large kettle or Dutch oven along with the juice or cider. Bring to a boil then cover the mixture and simmer for about 30 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Now press the mixture through a sieve or a food mill. Return about 10 cups back to the Dutch Oven. Stir in sugar and spices (and everything nice). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat yet again. Leave uncovered and over very low heat cook for about one and a half hours until mixture is very thick. Be sure to stir periodically and frequently to prevent burning on the bottom.

Here is the canning part: Spoon apple butter into hot, sterilized canning jars (pint or half-pint do nicely). Leave 1/4 inch head-space. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Place in a boiling-water canner for 5 to 10 minutes (5 minutes for half-pints, 10 minutes for full pints from the time the water begins to boil). Carefully take jars from canner and allow them to cool on racks. The result is about 4 pints. So double up on recipe for bigger batches!

Source: My Mom

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

Ingredients

• 2 dozen medium apples, quartered
  • 2 qt. sweet cider
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 1 /2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves

Directions

Cook apples in cider until tender. Press through a sieve or food mill; measure 3 quarts apple pulp. Cook pulp until thick enough to round up in a spoon. As pulp thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Add sugar and spices. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, until thick, about 1 hour. Pour hot into jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield: about 5 pints.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 2 pounds chopped apples
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

In a microwave safe bowl, combine apples, maple syrup and cinnamon. Microwave on high for 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender and process until smooth. Return mixture to bowl and microwave 5 minutes more. Cool and transfer to a jar. Store in refrigerator.

By Anna

• 1 qt. (4 cups) applesauce
  • 1 package fruit pectin
  • 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 4 1/2 cups sugar

Directions:

Power level high
Microwave time 18-22 minutes total.

In 3 qt. microwave container, stir together applesauce, fruit pectin, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Cover container. Microwave power level 10 for 8-10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes until mixture boils. Add sugar to hot mixture stirring well. Microwave at power level 10 for 9-11 minutes, until mixture reaches a full boil. Then time for 1 minute of boiling. Stir well. Ladle into prepared jars and seal. Enjoy!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Heat apple juice concentrate and apples to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat. Simmer uncoverd, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally until apples are very soft.

How do I thicken apple butter?

Karen from Oxford, Alabama

Answers

maybe cornstarch? or additional apples

I put mine in the crockpot and let it cook until it is thick. It takes a while but it works.

Grammy24

I think maybe the apple butter needs to be reduced more...cooked longer.

My crockpot has a removable crock. The easiest way to thicken apple butter is to put it in the crock in a 350º oven without a lid. Stir it occasionally until it is as thick as you like it.
Harlean from Arkansas

Cornstarch will work, or you can let it thicken with the apple's natural thickener, pectin. Just continue to cook the butter slowly and stir constantly.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

You can try cooking it at a lower heat or in a crock pot. Also try adding some cornstarch.

I've just made two batches this past Fall for the first time--the best way to thicken it is to just put the pot or crockpot at it's lowest heat, UNCOVER (I noticed the other posts don't say this!) and continue cooking, stirring once in awhile. A few hours more cooking will let the water/steam out, which will naturally thicken the apple butter. Good luck!

I cook mine in a roaster in the oven for several hours and it thickens on its own by cooking out the excess liquid.

Anonymous

thank you very much

We have purchased a home with small acreage and orchard, and I wanted to make my own Apple Butter. I have herd there is a way to make it in a crock-pot and freeze it for use later. I would also like to can of freeze Applesauce. If anyone has a recipe for anything you could make, freeze or can with apples, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Robin in Indiana

Answers

Here's a site I found online for CROCKPOT APPLE BUTTER: Enjoy those apples!!! http://p076.ezb … opicID=170.topic

Mary Farmer's
Honey Apple Butter
10 cups peeled, chopped apples
2/3 cup honey
1/2 tspoon allspice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
dash salt
Place all ingredients in slow cooker, cover
and cook on high 1 1/2 hours Turn on low stir
well cover and cook 8 hours. Mixture should
reduce to 5 to 6 cups. Leave chunky or
puree in food processor or blender. Pour into
jars and seal or freeze in small containers.
I use the spices to my taste. I like it a little spicier.

can you put the ground up apple pureie in the freezer till needed?""

I need a simple recipe for making apple butter. Thanks.

By Lexy from Champaign, IL

Answers

Your readers have been great in helping in the past and now I have another, but simple request. My g'daughter loves home made apple butter. What I need is a good recipe and also what type of apples to use. So readers, please help me to show my g'daughter that G'ma did it again... coming through for her.

LOL
Carol

Lexy, I found this on:cooks.com:
Easy Apple Butter
3 lbs. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored & finely chopped
1/2 c. apple cider
2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves

Place apples and apple cider in 2 1/2 quart microwave safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on High 15 minutes. Carefully remove plastic wrap and stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer mixture to blender or food processor and process until smooth. Return to microwave-safe bowl and cook, uncovered 10 minutes longer, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes. Store in sealed jars.

An easier one was,
Easy Apple Butter:
8 c. applesauce (either commercially canned or that you make yourself)
5 c. sugar
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. red cinnamon candies

Combine ingredients. Cook, stirring often (to prevent scorching) for 20-30 minutes or until thick.

I am looking for an apple butter recipe.

Terry from Colorado Springs

Answers:

Apple Butter Recipe

recipezaar.com

Type the words apple butter in the search bar. This site has numerous recipes and I use it all the time. (03/05/2009)

By MCW

Apple Butter Recipe

I use the same recipe as Harlean, but use brown sugar and a can of crushed pineapple and use apple cider instead of vinegar. I don't like the vinegar taste. If the sauce has a lot of liquid I omit the cider if it is thick I add it. (03/08/2009)

By rasta

My Aunt and Grandmother used to make Apple butter. It was so yummy, and I haven't had it in years. No one in my family seems to know how to make it, and I can't find a recipe. It was made with real apples too. My mouth waters thinking about it!

Please help! :)
Krista from Denver, CO

Answers:

Apple Butter Recipe

Hi Carol,
It's important to keep those grand kids happy. Here is a site with lots of recipes:

http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/favorite/apbutter.htm

Seems like we have something on this site, too. Here it is, only it is a tip:

Apple Butter Tip

Also have a tip for making Apple Butter although I have misplaced my recipe. This will work for any Apple Butter recipe. Mix as usual in a large pan, but instead of cooking it on the top of your stove. Place it in the oven at 375 degrees F . Stir it occasionally, and just let it bake until it is the thickness that you desire. No more scorching!

Harlean (from Arkansas)

I'd use Fuji, Granny Smith, Gravenstein, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, most anything that would make a good apple sauce NOT Red Delicious.
- Susan (11/22/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Apple Butter Recipe

The tip listed above is mine, and I have since found my Apple Butter Recipe.
This recipe makes 5 quarts of Apple Butter, and I put mine up in pint jars, but you can use regular 1/2 pint jelly jars. And now for the recipe:

Oven Apple Butter

• 16 cups of Applesauce (homemade or store bought)
  • 8 cups sugar
  • 1 cup Cider vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Mix all ingredients until sugar dissolves, in a large roasting pan. Place, uncovered, in oven and set the thermostat at 375 degrees F. Cook until it is as thick as you like, stirring occasionally (about every half hour). I cook mine about 3 1/2 hours. Pour into prepared canning jars. Wipe spills from jar lip, adjust 2 piece canning lids and set them in a canner, cover with hot water, bring to a gentle boil and water bathe them for about 15 minutes. Set them on a towel to cool. This really beats having to stand over the kettle and stir constantly to keep from scorching your apple butter in the bottom of the pan.

This is great on Potato Pancakes! And Fresh Home Baked Bread.
Harlean from Arkansas (11/23/2004)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Apple Butter Recipe

Thank you, Harlean! This couldn't be better timed for me. I have a huge amount of applesauce to use & we love apple butter. I'm starting it tonight! Carol, your grand daughter will be impressed again with her G'ma! I'm so glad you asked this question.
Judi in Orlando (12/15/2004)

By msjudishome

Apple Butter Recipe

I just peel them, core them and toss them in a crock pot for a day or so (on high for about 4 hours, then turn to low), depending on the apples, sometimes 2 days. When they are a nice rich brown color, I take the lid off, add sugar and spices to taste (I use cinnamon and cloves) and turn back on high (with the lid off) stirring occasionally until I get the consistency I want. Simple, no worries about burning them and no constant stirring either. (11/27/2005)

By diwitch

Apple Butter Recipe

Thanks everyone for your feedback! They sound pretty easy, so hopefully I wont mess this up, LOL :)
Krista (12/04/2005)

By KristaLove