FruitCakes

Apple Crown Cake

This is my mother's apple cake recipe that I've made my own. I now make it for her to treat her like royalty (it resembles a crown)! The added applesauce not only enhances the apple flavour, but also makes it very moist. The almond flour gives it some weight and character. This is one of my favourite cakes. Thanks, Queen Mum! ;)

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 8 servings

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line greased pan with parchment paper.
  2. Melt the butter in a bowl. Mix in sugar and powdered sugar mix until it's smooth.
  3. Peel and core the apple. Cut into about 24 slices.
  4. Separate the eggs. Beat the whites until a bit stiff, about 4 minutes.
  5. Beat in the egg yolks.
  6. Beat in the apple sauce and oil.
  7. Sift in the flour and almond flour in 3 batches, stirring until smooth each time.
  8. Pour cake batter into prepared baking pan, then overlap the apple slices around in a circle, leaving the center bare.
  9. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving.

Here is the cake "in action" :D

Yummy !!!

Soooo yummy!!!!!!!!!!! :)

What a sweet captured moment. All nice young ladies should have their wishes granted, so here's hoping yours comes true.

Thanks and take care, Eiko!

She says hi and sends big hugs!!! :)

This looks and sounds delicious!!
Now after I find almond flour and only using such a small amount, give me suggestions on how to use almond flour (if not for just any ole cake)?
I guess I will have to serve this to myself as I am the only "queen" left in my family (but I do have two or three princesses hanging around).

Hello, Queen Betty! Your precious little princesses can help you eat this cake, or have mini crowns. ;) I actually do have several fantastic recipes to share with you that use almond flour. For now, I'll just say it works great as a replacement for some of the flour in cookies, in pancakes, for use as toppings to fruit cobblers, crusts for baked or fried meats, and crumbs for casseroles!

We us it a lot, so I'll be posting some of my favourites!

I will be watching for your recipes (I always know your postings will be something interesting) and I will think about using almond flour as a breading and maybe with fruit cobblers.
My family has never been real lovers of cakes and cookies but pies and cobblers are always winners.
I am going to try your apple cake because you make it look so moist and delicious!

Oh, please do let me know how you like it! I'd be so thrilled to know, as this recipe is close to my heart. I'll share with you my non cake and non cookie almond flour recipes ASAP. Sending hugs!