Are the Polyphemus Moths Dangerous?

Are the polyphemus moths dangerous? Do they bite or sting? Can I touch it or pick it up?

They are not dangerous. Some people keep them as pets. You can read about them here. www.animalspot.net/polyphemus-moth-antheraea-polyphemus...

For most people they are fine to handle, not dangerous or poisonous.

Although for two reasons, I am of the mind to just let them be and not interfere with them:

The first reason is I wouldn't handle them or their pre-stage incarnations as caterpillars only because when I was a kid, I used to play with these and other caterpillars and I always seemed to get a rash. That said, they never affected my friends, so I must be overly sensitive.

The second reason is I am strongly apposed to doing anything that could cause them or their eco system any harm (I think I feel guilty I probably "played" with them a little too hard when I was a kid and accidentally killed a few by mistake.)

They are just out there trying to live in their weird and beautiful caterpillar to cocoon to moth world...so just watch...don't touch is my motto.

But those who know me, know I am just a tad wonky about stuff like this :)

There is another interesting site about them:

animaldiversity.org/.../

Totally harmless to humans.

Some people can keep moths as pets too. But I am not a fan of moths as they can feed on fabric/clothing or pantry items - best to keep outdoors or play with outdoors only.

They are not in the least bit dangerous. BUT it is advised to not handle them, the wing are very fragile and soft.

oh no they are sweethearts and beautiful!

is my first reaction

but i look it up to make sure and: www.whatsthatbug.com/.../

here they answer questions about this moth and their view is they are neither poisonous nor harmful nor do they bite - in fact apparently the adult moth does not eat at all (!!!) it is only the caterpillar that eats voraciously

the caterpillars are probably harmful to gardens because they eat a huge quantity of vegetable matter " oak, hickory, elm, maple and birch; caterpillars will also eat apple, beech, ash, willow, linden, rose, grape and pine." eol.org/pages/386283/details