Atsara (Papaya Relish) Recipe
This pickled condiment contains green papaya, carrots, ginger and green pepper. This page contains a recipe for atsara (papaya relish)
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Papaya Relish is called "atsara" in my local language. Papaya is the main ingredient and here's how it's made.
- 1 cup grated fresh green papaya
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/3 cup ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Grate the papaya and the carrot. Mix them together.
- Meanwhile, boil a cup of vinegar in medium heat.
- Fill jar with layers of ginger, bell pepper and the mixture of papaya and carrot.
- Add the sugar and a pinch of salt to taste.
- Half fill the jar with boiled vinegar and shake well. Best served when chilled.
October 19, 20160 found this helpful
Commercial made may last for years but for a home made, I suggest to consume it within 6 months. But this small jar of relish will surely get eaten in less than an hour. :-)
October 19, 20161 found this helpful
This sounds amazing! How long does this last in the refrigerator?