Australian Shepherd Breed Information and Photos

An affectionate, even tempered dog that originally was bred as a sheep herder. This page contains Australian shepherd breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Australian Shepherd is an attractive, long-haired breed with a bobtail and a striking coat that varies remarkably in color. This breed is built slightly longer than tall, is fast and agile and possesses great endurance and herding instincts.

Group: Herding Group

Purpose of Breed: Originally used to herd sheep

Country of Origin: Australia, 1800s

Average Size: 27-50 lbs. and 18-23 inches tall

Color(s): Blue merle, black, red merle, or red-all with or without markings. Coats can contain tan or colored patches. According to American Kennel Club breed standards, white is acceptable except on the body between the withers and tail, on sides between elbow and back hindquarters.

Coat Type: The Aussie's weather-resistant double coat has a medium texture, straight or wavy and of medium length except for the shorter coat on the head, ears, and parts of the legs.

Grooming: this breed's coat requires minimal grooming. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Australian Shepherd dogs need plenty of exercise to fulfill their instinct to chase and herd. They do well in houses with fenced yards.

Temperament: The Australian Shepherd is an intelligent, affectionate, even-tempered dog that is clever and eager to learn. They may be initially reserved when meeting strangers and make excellent dogs for children.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to hip dysplasia, blindness and deafness.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-15 years

Trivia: Despite its name, this breed was developed mainly in the USA. Its original ancestry can be traced back to the Basque region of France and Spain. The breed's popularity increased significantly with Western culture and horse-riding after WWII, when they were often features in rodeos, horse shows on TV and in the movies.

More Information: United States Australian Shepherd Association

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Ruby is a 1 1/2 years old Australian Shepard. We adopted Ruby 2 weeks ago at the Humane Society, along with a Border Collie we named Dash.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 19

SayD is a 6 month old Australian Shepherd. SayD became a member of the family 3 weeks ago. SayD likes to run, and boy, is she fast! She will chase a ball and already knows to bring it back.

When you tell her "go get your ball" she understands, and brings it to you. She loves her squeaky toys too.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 10

In 2014, my companion dog, Arlo Buddy, passed away and I was becoming very depressed. A friend told me to check out Petfinder. When I saw her photo, I knew she was meant to be my girl.

She was with a rescue called Speak! for the Unspoken, and I wrote the essay of my life to convince them I was a good match for this dog.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Annie is a 6 year old Australian Shepherd that I received Annie for Mother's Day 6 years ago. She was a gift from my younger Son.

Annie is the 'daughter' of my Son's dog, Raider. Annie loves to play Hide and Seek.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

Dakota is a 4 year old Australian Shepherd. I got him as a puppy. He likes to fetch.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Sparticus is a 5 month old Australian Shepherd. I got him from a breeder when he was 8 weeks old. I found him through the internet. He likes to play. He likes catching things and bringing them back to you.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

This is Gator, a toy Aussie pup with his dirty nose!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

My pride and joy, Freida! We had no idea how lucky we were when we adopted Freida at 6 months of age. She has been a wonderful companion for the last year and I can't wait for the many years to come!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Freida is a 1 year old Australian Shepherd. Freida became part of our home roughly six months ago. Freida has recently discovered her love for swimming! She also loves to fetch and cuddling with her people =).

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Jasmine is a 5 year old Australian Shepherd I got from a breeder. She likes to Swim, play and she loves her soccer ball!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Lola is about 10 and an Australian Shepherd. She's a rescue, she was found injured beside a highway. We suspect she was thrown or jumped from the bed of a pick-up truck.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

I got her when she was 8 weeks old from a nice lady who had rescued her mommy.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3