Australian Shepherd Mix Photos

Category Dog Breeds
Australian Shepherd Mix
Mix breed dogs come in all shapes and sizes depending on the breed of the parents. This is a guide containing Australian Shepherd mix photos.

Breed Description: The Australian Shepherd is an attractive, long-haired breed with a bobtail and a striking coat that varies remarkably in color. This breed is built slightly longer than tall, is fast and agile and possesses great endurance and herding instincts.

Group: Herding Group

Purpose of Breed: Originally used to herd sheep

Country of Origin: Australia, 1800s

Average Size: 27-50 lbs. and 18-23 inches tall

Color(s): Blue merle, black, red merle, or red-all with or without markings. Coats can contain tan or colored patches. According to American Kennel Club breed standards, white is acceptable except on the body between the withers and tail, on sides between elbow and back hindquarters.

Coat Type: The Aussie's weather-resistant double coat has a medium texture, straight or wavy and of medium length except for the shorter coat on the head, ears, and parts of the legs.

Grooming: this breed's coat requires minimal grooming. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Australian Shepherd dogs need plenty of exercise to fulfill their instinct to chase and herd. They do well in houses with fenced yards.

Temperament: The Australian Shepherd is an intelligent, affectionate, even-tempered dog that is clever and eager to learn. They may be initially reserved when meeting strangers and make excellent dogs for children.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to hip dysplasia, blindness and deafness.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-15 years

Trivia: Despite its name, this breed was developed mainly in the USA. Its original ancestry can be traced back to the Basque region of France and Spain. The breed's popularity increased significantly with Western culture and horse-riding after WWII, when they were often features in rodeos, horse shows on TV and in the movies.

More Information: United States Australian Shepherd Association

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Baylor is a 3 year old half Pomeranian and half Australian Shepherd. The woman we got him from raises Pomeranians and had a female Australian Shepherd house pet with only 3 legs. One of her male Poms apparently fell in love with her and the union resulted in the cutest, smartest puppies I've ever seen!

My husband got Baylor from his sister for his birthday 3 years ago. She was out with her husband bailing hay and noticed some puppies in the yard next door. Once we saw Baylor we couldn't leave him behind. He was a little ball of fur and only 7 or 8 weeks old. He had to make the trip from Ohio to Michigan and slept on my shoulder all the way.

He loves to play frisbee and herd our cats. Baylor is the smartest dog I have ever known. He is so easy to train and seems to know what I want before I say anything sometimes.

By Mary

Comment Like this photo? 11

Gemmah and Thor are both 12 weeks old and Australian Shepherd/Blue Heeler mixes. I searched the net for weeks until I came across these babies. We got them about 2 weeks ago.

They both love to play together with their toys, play ball, take long walks, swim, go to different places, and cuddle on the couch and watch a movie late night. They are both young and very smart.

They catch on really fast with commands. They also just learned how to do some tricks and we are still teaching them. They are just two friendly and loving pups and we are glad they are part of our family now.

By Nicole and Dorson

Gemmah and Thor (Australian Shepherd/Blue Heeler)

Comment Like this photo? 11

Dixie is a 4 year old Australian Shepherd or Blue Heeler. My Granddaughter bought Dixie at Barrel racing event about 4 years ago, she was 6 weeks old at the time.

Dixie loves to to play catch, she has her favorite tennis ball, she loves to fetch, and play catch with it. Dixie is also very good with a Frisbee. She had an old soccer ball that she tore all of the outer cover off, she loved to play with that until it came up missing one day.

Dixie is a very loyal companion she goes with me every place that I go. She loves to play with the horses. We have a neighbor that has two dogs, whenever they are out, Dixie will go over and run the fence line with them.

Dixie is a the very best dog that I have ever had the privilege of caring for. She is one of kind. Dixie, sometimes will be laying on the patio with all 4 legs up in the air as if she is dead, she will lay there for about 15 or 20 minutes never moving a muscle.

She knows all of the cars in the neighborhood and if someone comes down our dead end street that she doesn't know them she will let everyone know there is a stranger among us.

By John

Comment Like this photo? 13

Zoey is a 3 year old Australian Shepherd mix (heavy on the mix.) Zoey is a pound puppy! Adopt a pet, it's a wonderful thing to do. She loves to play ball. Zoey is a very hands on kinda dog. She will 'paw' you to get your attention. She doesn't care where she lays, we call her speed-bump quite a lot!

By DonnaPr from Lake City, Florida

Zoey (Australian Shepherd Mix)

Comment Like this photo? 6

Your Pet's Age
9 months old

Your Pet's Breed
Australian Shepherd Terrier Mix

How and when did you get your pet?
I got Ava from Caring Hearts animal rescue in Nov. 2015.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Ava loves to pick things up with her mouth, anything and everything, throw it in the air and catch it. She loves to play tug and play with her food dish.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Ava came to me a few months after losing a dog to cancer. I am so glad I have her. We all love her; she is a really smart puppy.

Comment Like this photo? 9

Maggie (short for Magnum PI) is about 3 or 4 years old. The shelter said she was Australian Shepard/Chow Chow mix We adopted her from Table Mesa Animal Shelter about 6 months ago.

Maggie (Australian Shepherd/Chow)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is my dog Sydney. I rescued her from the animal shelter when she was 10 weeks old. She will be 2 in September. She's an Australian Shepherd/Collie mix. Sydney loves to play ball!

Sydney (Australian Shepherd/Collie)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got her from a rescue shelter near my home when she was 8 weeks old. She likes to run, run, and run. She loves to play, swim, and go hiking in the woods.

Avasun lying on a plastic lawn chair.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

In spring 2015 my husband and I had gone to pick up a washer from his uncle's girlfirend. When got there a cute bunch of puppies came up to greet us. I loved them all, however, there was one that stuck out above all the rest. As my husband handed me this beautiful adorable little blue eyed Australian Shepherd I looked him in the eyes and fell in love.

Mocha (Australian Shepherd/Cowdog) - now

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Tony is a 6 month old Australian Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix. We adopted Tony on July 15th, two days after my beloved Pano passed away. My husband felt that my son needed a new dog right away, but I wasn't ready yet.

Tony the Dog on a Red Pillow

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Foxy Brown (Aussie Shepherd/Coyote). This is our dog Foxy Brown she is a stray that we found and adopted, she is Australian Shepard and Coyote Mix. She loves to sleep with my son Allen and is an attention hound.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes