QuickBreads

Avocado Quick Bread

I had a couple avocados that had been in the fridge for a few extra days. I thought they might be a bit too old, they weren't, but I was committed to trying to make quick bread. I found this recipe on the tablespoon.com site and then changed it up a tiny bit. If I make it again I will definitely add chopped walnuts. The batter had a delightful flowery aroma and the bread itself is delicious.

NOTE: I used a glass loaf pan and followed the traditional wisdom and baked it at 325 degrees for 15+ minutes longer. It was not long enough the center took quite a bit longer to finish. I would use metal in the future with this recipe.

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. I baked the loaf in a glass pan so I used 325 F (always set the temperature 25 degrees lower when using glass pans).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar until creamy.
  3. In a separate medium bowl, mash the peeled and pitted avocados. Add 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice.
  4. Then add the mashed avocado to the butter and sugar mixture.
  5. In a small bowl, combine the milk and remaining lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes.
  6. Add the milk and eggs to the butter/avocado/sugar mixture and stir.
  7. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Mix.
  8. Add the dry ingredients to the avocado mixture. Mix well, and pour into a greased loaf pan.
  9. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 50 minutes. I found that I needed to add 10 - 15+ minutes, in increments due to the decreased temperature. Allow the loaf to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then remove it from the pan and cool completely on the rack. Refrigerate overnight for best results.

i assume its more of a sweet dessert type bread ultimately, right?

I always like to add avocados to my meals...so very healthy!

Will definitely try it!