Back Child Support and SSI?

My daughter's father hasn't been in her life for years. The courts ordered him to pay $165 a month, but he couldn't keep a job for whatever excuse he wants to give. I have been disabled myself since 2010 and I receive a check for her as well. Her father smoked like a chimney and ended up with COPD and congestive heart failure. Now he has to be on oxygen 24/7 and is applying for disability. I understand that there are 2 kinds, SSI (for those who haven't earned enough through working) and SSDI (for those who have worked a legitimate job and made money over the table.) Unfortunately her father worked a lot of "under the table" jobs so I doubt he will qualify for SSDI. I've heard that if he gets the SSI, all of his back child support (he owes roughly $10,000) will be forgiven. Please someone tell me I'm wrong! That would be so unfair to the children of these deadbeat dads!


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Bronze Answer Medal for All Time! 220 Answers
April 17, 20160 found this helpful

Only the Social Security Administration can answer your questions. You can make an appointment at your local SSA office to address your questions.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportApril 17, 2016
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-10-22 09:22:17 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.