Social Security and Back Child Support

In 2011 my ex-husband received a lump sum payment from SSA for SSD. He owed $28,360 in back child support and an active garnishment was in place. The back support was collected from his lump sum payment. At the same time my son received a lump sum payment from SSA as well. The payments were similar. SSA processed the benefit lump sum payment and sent 3360.80 of the back support. For almost 4 years they had not paid the rest of the back support. Will I receive the rest of my payment plus interest?


By Shannon J

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

November 8, 20140 found this helpful

You may be able to get answers through your local SS office but your best bet would be an attorney who specializes in this area. This is a complicated area and not easily answered.

An attorney may want a lump sum payment or a percentage of whatever they collect so be careful and ask a lot of questions about payment.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportNovember 6, 2014
Valentine's Ideas!
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/02/11 22:43:09 in 681 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!