Baked Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
Make this delicious baked chicken chimichanga and time you crave a south of the border style meal. This page contains baked chicken chimichanga recipe
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I adapted this recipe from an old Cooking Light recipe. I love it but made a few changes. It's my go-to recipe. It's a great recipe for using up left over chicken. My whole family will eat it, too!
Total Time: About 10-15 minutes assembling. 10 minutes to bake.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: Cooking Light magazine
- 2 1/2 cup shredded, roasted chicken (I use leftovers from split chicken breasts, whole chicken, etc).
- 1 cup cheddar cheese*
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 4.5 oz. can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 16 oz. can refried beans
- 6 8 inch flour tortillas
- olive oil or cooking spray
- Toppings: sour cream and salsa verde
*The original recipe calls for queso fresco, but I rarely have that on hand.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spread 1/4 cup beans down center of tortilla. Top with 3/4 cup chicken mixture. Roll up like a burrito. Place rolls seam down on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray or olive oil.
The original recipe says to coat the chimichangas with cooking spray. I prefer to use my pastry brush and brush some olive oil all over the tortilla. But, either way works!
- Bake at 500 degrees F for 7 minutes, or until brown and crispy.
- Serve with salsa verde and sour cream, or however you like it!
December 29, 20140 found this helpful
This sounds fabulous! I know my whole family would love this. I am making it asap
January 23, 20170 found this helpful
I copied this recipe so I can make it for my family. Mexican food is one of our favorites. I believe this will make a good freezer meal also.